The Corroboree
bogfrog

my favourite plants

here is a thread devoted to my most loved plants, please post your most prized plants too!

astrophytum onzuka

ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus - 10 years old but still a very small fry

euphorbia decaryi

obregonia denegrii

ceropegia stapeliiformis cristata

turbinacarpus lophophorides - i think

euphorbia ferox oddity (crest, normal and mutant bits)

ariocarpus fissuratus

diffusa kohersii

stapelia leendertziae cristata

astrophytum caput medusae

post-8023-0-53194400-1313566430_thumb.jp

started doing a few wee moss garden arrangements with a couple of my caudis too:

possibly senecio picticaulis (cant find the tag for this one - i may be wrong)

post-8023-0-46763900-1313566487_thumb.jp

dorstenia foetida

ponytail palm

unknown meseb and button

post-8023-0-06767000-1313567336_thumb.jp

these two following are not mine but i love them as much as their owner does

aztekium ritteri (grafted)

larryleachia cactiformis

post-8023-0-32527200-1313567458_thumb.jp

IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 1

Beautiful. Thanks for posting. I'm hopeless when it comes to anything but trichs, so it's always nice to drool over other people's collections :)

Love your plants, Bogfrog. How old are that Caput Medusae and the Atztekium? Seed grown or grafted? bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

started doing a few wee moss garden arrangements with a couple of my caudis too:

possibly senecio picticaulis (cant find the tag for this one - i may be wrong)

post-8023-0-46763900-1313566487_thumb.jp

very cool! :lol:

the caput medusae i think is about 2-2.5 years old (thats a rough estimate) , it was a very lucky score from a grower who knew just how special they are! and the aztekium i wouldnt have a clue, as it came to us grafted already, but its a plant i doubted i would ever see for myself in new zealand, so thats pretty damn cool, surpassing our limitations already, go NZ!

Edited by bogfrog

very cool! :lol:

i love moss! i get a wee bit obsessive about it sometimes and end up walking home with huge clumps of moss and dirt in my bag and as much as i can carry in hands

i love moss! i get a wee bit obsessive about it sometimes and end up walking home with huge clumps of moss and dirt in my bag and as much as i can carry in hands

sounds like a fun pastime :P It's almost an art piece, the first thing I saw when I looked at that photo was a green eared ogre wading through a pool of stones... but then again I probably had too much red wine.

Nice plants mate, thanks for sharing.

Your first plant I believe is mislabelled and exhibits none of the traits commonly associated with the cultivar "Onzuka", I would suggest a correct title would be "Astrophytum Myriostigma Tricostatum" (Meaning three sides or ribs). Now this is not to say the mother, father or both of the parents of your plants were not true Onzuka, just that this particular plant does not exhibit the white flecking commonly associated with this cultivar. It could be the case that offspring may exhibit the Onzuka traits.

Edited by Hellonasty

I recently got 2 myriostigma tricostatums too, they are a treat to the eye.

nice plants and moss arrangements!

hmm its hard to choose favourites. What if they other ones that don't get chosen are offended?? :rolleyes:

Tricoctatums that hold their form, such as bogfrog's, are rare and beautiful. A great plant for creating interesting hybrids ;)

HN

^^^

I paid 9 euros for each of them [they look like bogfrogs in size] from a very good german nursery, so I expect them to be the real thing that keep the trait.

:wink:

so here are 3 of my favourites

1. the clone that got me into cacti, T.pachanoi kk339

P1060254.jpg

2. Rob, came as T.pachanoi from SAB, but it's probably related with scop and it looks a lot like 'super pedro', 'lance', 'cordobensis', some dude says it pups more than those

P1060253.jpg

3. T. pachanoi crest & monstrosa [kada's garden] . I got another strain of pachanoi crest, that only crests. This one is special in that it throws monstrosa growth too. I am very hesitant to cut it, but I'd love to propagate it...

P1060252.jpg

• Like 1

Your kk339 is one of the best looking progeny of those seeds that I've seen, mutant. My KK339 looks similar, but is nowhere near as pretty or vigorous.

How big was the montrose/crest when you got it? It looks spectacular and the alternating growth patterns remind me of Michael's plant.

Edited by mira

Your kk339 is one of the best looking progeny of those seeds that I've seen, mutant. My KK339 looks similar, but is nowhere near as pretty or vigorous.

thanks. I think a main reason for the good looks of my specimens are the fact they are growing on a roof [warm country, good sun] . I wonder what Michael does to avoid snails, as I remember he grows them in ground level, or other people fro that matter, who own awesome unharmed specimens.

Several Trichocerei that I have planted outside in a field closer to 'wild' nature get regularly damaged from snails/hoppers, especially in certain [grassier, shadier] spots.

My hot roof is certainly an unfriendly place for snails. Just to understand a bit how hot and dry we're talking about, I have had several slow growers including lophophora in clay pots with overly free draining soil [lots of sand] and they never grew, as their roots must have been burnt constantly. So far, only few species/genuses, including several ferocacti have been successful in clay pots on the roof. Nowadays I put less freedraining soil in clay pots whatever the species. And the experimentation continues... :lol:

How big was the montrose/crest when you got it? It looks spectacular and the alternating growth patterns remind me of Micheal's plant.

It was not more than 15 cm long and 5 cm wide at the fattest point. It was a monstrosa tip. Interestingly, at some point kada said that due to over propagation he never left them grow to much and never noticed a crest. Which is interesting, since my specimen began to crest pretty soon after it began growing its monstrosa tip.

I get more slugs than snails, but same difference when it comes to damage I suppose. I don't do anything about them and they do eat a little bit, but I think the fact that I have as a deck these really rough bricks may discourage them.

~Michael~

hmm i thought it wasnt very flocked too, pretty cool tho, do myriostigma tricostatums do the quite distinctive downwards pointing arrow marks between the ribs when mature?

i find i can always pick favourites becuase they are usually my newest additions and as i get more cool dudes they fall backwards in ranking, but thats okay becuase they were all my favourite plant at the time i brought each one

wow lovely crest/mostrose, my partner has one kinda similar but its reluctant to put out montrose sections, lots of weird morphing but it always goes to crest. i'll take a pic next time i can

very nice and tidy pachanoi kk339 too!

I have seen an Aztekium hintonii about as big as a softball in New Zealand (not grafted ever), and an Aztekium ritteri that was an inch and a half across, so they are here, but they're damn rare. :P

I did not know that Astro. Caput-medusae was in NZ though, awesome! :D

Here is my new favorite

post-7855-0-62680700-1314201577_thumb.jp

I got this wonderful specimen off a member on these forums (he can chime in if he wants), I am very grateful to have such a beautiful cacti to add to my collection

post-7855-0-15471500-1314201810_thumb.jp

He said it flowers every couple of months :drool2:

I cant wait, it is currently potted up in dry washed and sieved propagating sand. I am not keen to water it until it gets further into spring.

I have another favorite it is a Loph Williamsii grafted to pereskiopsis my first ever graft, I can't get a great pic of this one until my dad finds the camera he gifted to me.

It is amazing how much grafting accelerates growth while the seedlings sown in July remain at around 3mm in size the graft is at least 15mm and has many areoles :blink:

post-7855-0-62680700-1314201577_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-15471500-1314201810_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-62680700-1314201577_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-15471500-1314201810_thumb.jpg

hey βluntmuffin that aztekium sounds incredibly awesome, i think we are quite lucky in nz, somewhat limited but we've got a decent portion of the coolest plants here, and the really rare ones just get hidden away by secretive growers!

and Ethen what a very beautiful plant! thanks for sharing!

bogfrog,

Most mature Myriostigma will get a V notch on the ribs, some are very noticeable while others hardly at all. Astrophytum are a greatly variable species which is one reason they are so unique.

Hellonasty,

do you graft most of your astrophytum caput medusae?

i am wondering weather i should keep my guy on his own roots or wud it be wiser/safer to graft?

That really is a question for the ages bogfrog :) Personally I would leave yours, it looks healthy and in the long run will be a nicer looking plant. As a general rule with the slow growers like Astrophytum, Ariocarpus, Turbinicarpus, Lophophora etc, once they are over 1 year of age I let them grow out on their own roots naturally, at this point too much time has been invested to graft.