The Corroboree
tripsis

Good station wagons.

Some of you might remember my post a few months back asking about 4WDs. Well, I'm still without wheels and can't afford a decent 4WD at the moment, so need a decent car in the meantime.

I'm after a reliable station wagon, if possible diesel and/or 4WD would be good, but it doesn't seem diesel station wagons are common at all. Preferably a manual, although if an auto fits the bill, then I'll consider that. Under 150000km and from the mid-90s onwards. Preferably something that is decently fuel efficient too.

So what makes/models do you folks suggest?

Toyota camry... just toyota in general actually.

i got a 1998 camry wagon V6 (theres a 4 cylinder too) with about 120000km for 10k about 4 years ago now, runs like a dream, services are cheap and the engines are expected to last ages too.

Good luck mate.

An older Subaru Outback would be good, an all-wheel-drive. Probably be hard to find a manual though, and services are expensive. If you didn't want to fork out quite so much, and you're just after a reliable, yet comfortable and reasonably luxurious get the Liberty instead. I loved my Liberty, a sedan because I thought the wagons were butt-ugly blush.gif. But who cares?

Magnas are pretty good too.

Yeah, I've considered an Outback, but I hear they're not exactly fuel efficient (or rather not in the slightest).

Will look into the other suggestions, thanks.

i have a VS wagon its done over the 200,000 k & still runs like a dream have seen them with well over 325,000 on them & they still run well

so if you cant find a good diesel look into a commodore wagon VS & later models, they are fairly good on fuel for a v6 unless your flogging them around all the time & have plenty of power with comfort & lower costs for repairs than 4wd,s

it just depends if you want it for off road work

Edited by mac

Well, I'd definitely be taking it down dirt roads and bush tracks from time to time, but not literal off road driving. What sort of fuel economy are you talking mac?

Holden Commodores go for a decent price!

fairly decent for a 6 cylinder good on trips just depends on how heavy your foot is, they are a good car for when you need the power overtaking etc.. little heavier round town with stopping & starting traffic lights im sure there would be some good info online about economy

just the price of diesel now is the main thing to look at & most diesels tend to be a little sluggish but yeah depending on what your main usage will be

if go for a commodore wagon or twin-cab hilux with canopy like i said diesels & 4wds parts tyres are more expensive in the long run IMO

if a family car id look at the holden, do a bit of research on economy & redbook prices of what your after & test drive a few first would be the best before you make a decision

commodore wagons are a little more than a sedan but price range ya can pick a VS VT up fairly cheap these days & the engines are very reliable parts are cheap :wink:

Edited by mac

this may give ya some idea of price & fuel economy Holden wagon

same year hilux twin-cab hilux

Edited by mac

Commodore wagons are only petrol, right?

A ute would be good in some ways, bad in others. I think a station wagon would be more flexible in how it could be used.

When you say a VS, VT, should i only be looking at those two, or is VY and VX alright too?

Thanks for the link, that's a good site for car info.

yeah wagons are better as ya can lock them up & petrol engines plenty of power when needed, your decision should be based on what you want it for & how much you want to spend and how much offroad vs highway use, running & repair costs

later models are fine i was just using those for examples

Take your time test drive a few cars & look for low Ks with either

i want a sport wagon if i ever upgrade the VS but cant afford one at the moment

Edited by mac

I recently got a 2006 VW Caddy. It's huge (I can fit 50cm catus pots now, unlike my old car, eh Trip?). It's also diesel and super fuel efficient. It cost me ~$50 in fuel to drive from Sydney to Byron last month. I love it. I don't know your budget but you can get them for about $18,000 with under 100,000km if you look carefully and patiently. I've been pleasantly surprised that the VW-parts-and-service-is-stupidly-expensive line isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I dare say that they're cheaper than Subaru or Honda parts.

I own a 2001 Outback, its been pretty good to me and I get between 10km-15km per liter depending on driving style/condition and the condition of my car.

If your seriously thinking about getting one let me know and Ill write up some points you may like to know. (cant be bothered otherwise, lol)

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

It's huge (I can fit 50cm catus pots now, unlike my old car, eh Trip?

Ahaha! :lol:

So you would recommend the VW Caddy Marcel? It's good that it's diesel. Being a new car though, they're getting towards the unaffordable for me.

I definitely am considering getting an Outback Andy. If only it were a diesel it would be perfect, but I suppose it can't have everything. Any pointers would be appreciated. Are they very different from Liberty models?

Caddy's are based on the Golf body, so that brings the parts and service right down, for sheer numbers.

Also, type in "Toyota Hiace Super Custom Living Saloon" into Google. Great cars. Japanese imports. Diesel. Huge. Camping ready. Some even have a built in kettle. You can get a 50,000km model for about $14,000. 100,000km models sometimes go for under $10,000. Do a little research. People who have these guys swear by them.

I own a 2001 Outback, its been pretty good to me and I get between 10km-15km per liter depending on driving style/condition

Wow, really? my V8 statesman does the same, but i do drive like an old lady..

I cant recommend toyotas any higher, especially troopies. Our current one is a 88 model and we have had it since i think 97. Its done 379,000 kays now and is still going strong. will go anywhere, carry 12 people or fold the seats up to a massive van. I lay timber across the back seats whack in a foam mattress and is a double awesome bed with no wheel humps. If i ever get rid of that car it will only be for a newer troopy. They are heavy on fuel tough with driving offroad with a trailer loaded up on my old petrol one using as much as 25 litres per 100kays.

If you get a commodore or falcon and put a limited slip diff (from a ute) in it, you will be able to take it places that many people would be scared to take their shiny new 4WD's.

With a standard diff (sometimes refereed to as a one legger) if a wheel hits something loose all the drive will go to that wheel and it will spin and you get bogged, with a LSD if you hit something loose you still have drive to the other wheel and most times you can just drive out of it. You can tell what type of diff a car has by jacking up the rear wheels and turning one wheel. If the opposite wheel turns in the opposite direction you have a one legger, if the opposite wheel turns the same way you have LSD or a lockdiff.

The LSD will give it lower final drive ratio and make it use more fuel on the road, but it will go almost anywhere because it won't loose traction from wheelspin when the going gets tough.

You can also get LSDiffs with different gear ratio's so you don't necessarily have lose too much efficiency.

Many tradesman have used stations wagons with LSD's fitted when they didn't have the cash for a 4WD and ended up sticking to station wagon because they work so well in most conditions.

Marcel, as much as I would love a van (heaps of room, great for camping and moving stuff around, etc.), I'm trying to avoid actually getting one as they are so top very and not great off road.

25l/100km is pretty terrible Hillbilly!

I'll look into the limited slip diff SallyD. Do you have a rough idea of how much it would cost to have something like that installed?

Edit: Alright, maybe I'll consider a van now I'm looking at them, seeing as so many are diesel and some are even 4WD...

Edited by tripsis

25l/100km is pretty terrible Hillbilly!

Yeah thats loaded and pulling about a tonne offroad though. On the highway its about 15-20 loaded

SallyD: I wouldn't mind having LSD installed into my car too :wink:

SallyD: I wouldn't mind having LSD installed into my car too :wink:

It might be a little unpredictable.

Hillbilly, are you the Hillbilly on FB who's attending Addison Rd Markets today?

Edited by tripsis