The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
synchromesh

Origin of the Peace Pipe

ORIGIN OF PEACE PIPE

Long, long ago, two young and handsome Lakota were chosen by their band to find out where the buffalo were. While the men were riding in the buffalo country, they saw someone in the distance walking toward them.

As always they were on the watch for any enemy. So they hid in some bushes and waited. At last the figure came up the slope. To their surprise, the figure walking toward them was a woman.

When she came closer, she stopped and looked at them. They knew that she could see them, even in their hiding place. On her left arm she carried what looked like a stick in a bundle of sagebrush. Her face was beautiful.

One of the men said, "She is more beautiful than anyone I have ever seen. I want her for my wife."

But the other man replied, "How dare you have such a thought? She is wondrously beautiful and holy--far above ordinary people."

Though still at a distance, the woman heard them talking. She laid down her bundle and spoke to them. "Come. What is it you wish?"

Continue reading

Peace Pipe Chapter

National Society Daughters of the American Revolution

Just thought that this information would be of interest to a lot of you. :innocent_n:

• Like 1

"As long as the pipe is used," the beautiful woman had said, "Your people will live and will be happy. As soon as it is forgotten, the people will perish."

qft

cool read thanx

but i have to question the line "You will smoke it before making treaties"

i would have thought the concept of treaties is purely white man speak so find it strange to be mentioned in an old fable.

Prof Taylor said: “Crop-circle artists are not going to give up their secrets easily. This summer, unknown artists will venture into the countryside close to your homes and carry out their craft, safe in the knowledge that they are continuing the legacy of the most science-oriented art movement in history.”

:slap:

It's a special bonding experience that is for sure. The story appears to be of a man torn between his sexuality and his spirituality. I can imagine that someone could have seen that in his or her vision in the way the story is presented.

Smoking a pipe does stimulates thought. If you think about it,... people sit down,.. and really take their time to discuss things. In the case of indigenous people they always have the respected elders in the center to reflect with.

cool read thanx

but i have to question the line "You will smoke it before making treaties"

i would have thought the concept of treaties is purely white man speak so find it strange to be mentioned in an old fable.

The Native Americans were constantly in war or in peace. In times of peace they did make "treaties" with other tribes, obviously having a non-English word for it though. White people only know how to make lies anyway. (No offense, I'm half-white, but we are liars)

White people only know how to make lies anyway. (No offense, I'm half-white, but we are liars)

That's a lie, and that's the truth :)

The Native Americans were constantly in war or in peace. In times of peace they did make "treaties" with other tribes, obviously having a non-English word for it though. White people only know how to make lies anyway. (No offense, I'm half-white, but we are liars)

Roopey,.... everyone lives in a certain degree of ignorance. Your statement clearly shows that you are biased, and that is your ignorance,.... or another way to say it that is the lie you live.... I am sure that that is not the white part of you that said that. ;-p

Roopey,.... everyone lives in a certain degree of ignorance. Your statement clearly shows that you are biased, and that is your ignorance,.... or another way to say it that is the lie you live.... I am sure that that is not the white part of you that said that. ;-p

Indeed, we all have our own perspective, which is in itself limited, making us all ignorant on some level. My obvious bias in that statement can be disregarded, though, considering that I think all people lie, no matter your color or race. I was just making a joke that didn't come off very well. It made me laugh, though, thinking back on Western peace-treaty agreements and their general outcome...

On topic though, this was a fascinating read. I love Native American folktales.

Edited by Roopey
  • Like 1

would be funny is the pipe went out and all of them started laughing

Roopey,.. now that you say that it's a joke I think I can see the fun in how you meant it. I also do voice characters sometimes,... and that is hard to convey in text unless people know you personally.

Dont rememeber the name of the movie,... but there is this part where a blind indian in a western looking town asks this white man for some change,... and the white guy says,.. that he doesnt have any. (which was true at that moment),... the indian the responds back in a calm voice,... "Your lies are old,..... but you tell them well!" :-)

Yes the indigenous stories are nice to hear. I think the cool thing about the mysterious stories is that they are sooooo faaaaaar out / unbelievable, that if someone tells you them, you wont forget them that easy. That is a good way of remembering I think.

I also think now that when they are told to children or teenagers that they are something to ponder about,.... as some coming of age understanding when they finally see what it really means when they read between the lines. And I think that that will be some sort of AHA moment,..... and that you will realize why they were told to you like that and why it is important to tell it to the new generations the same way. (I am realizing this now)

I mean if you look at our own growing up,... it's a process where we constantly build on top of old perceptions. And you have to separate the good from the crap in order to achieve a decent understanding in order not to go through life as a naive person.

• Like 1

Gidday there good folks! Loved the "origin of the peace pipe" there Synchromesh - I hadn't heard that variation before!