The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nitrogen

"J3" peruvianus pictures and info?

Hi all, I've some "Super Pedro" x "J3" seedlings growing but I know almost nothing about the father plant.. Thx PD btw for those seeds! I'm not even sure if SP is the mother and J3 is the father (but I think so - might be the reverse though)..

Does anyone have info about the growth habit, appearance, or shamanic properties of "J3".. Pictures? My seedlings are growing well but more slowly than the Super pedro x Psycho0 seedlings that I sowed at the same time..

Awesome, thanks!

I'll post some pics of my seedlings when I have some time - they are still pretty small and not all that distinct.. Kinda peruvianoid looking seedlings to me..

The J3, to my eye, looks quite bridgesii.. Kinda peruvianus too though..

Anybody else sow this seed or have pics?

Have plenty of seed sown, but no pics at the moment. PD got a couple of crests from this hybrid.

Have J3 x Super pedro from PD. Here's some pics, still small though. :)

post-9625-0-38546000-1311247098_thumb.jp

post-9625-0-33376600-1311247105_thumb.jp

post-9625-0-09457600-1311247111_thumb.jp

post-9625-0-38546000-1311247098_thumb.jpg

post-9625-0-33376600-1311247105_thumb.jpg

post-9625-0-09457600-1311247111_thumb.jpg

post-9625-0-38546000-1311247098_thumb.jpg

post-9625-0-33376600-1311247105_thumb.jpg

post-9625-0-09457600-1311247111_thumb.jpg

The J3, to my eye, looks quite bridgesii..

Interesting you say that nitro. When i first encountered J3 i pressumed it to be a bridgie x super pedro, the idea of super ped being a parent came when i saw the two plants (J3 and S ped) in close proximity to each other and flowering at the same time (the only trichos flowering on that day). The flowers on the J3 were very similar to the super ped, ie, the flowers seemed large. Anyone that has seen super ped flower will understand what im saying when i say "seemed large" as the flowers look big and fat but are in fact around the same size as other tricho flowers. I quizzed the owner who gave me the cryptic reply "well it very well could be", with a wide grin. I think the grin he gave was perhaps more for me trying to figure out the impossible lol. I do see bridgie traits in J3 especially if it is grown hard in full sun etc.

I'm not even sure if SP is the mother and J3 is the father

Mum first, dad second :) MUM X DAD

Who was doing that genetic testing again....... :P

Edited by PD.

Awesome! Bretloth - those seedlings look a lot like mine - about the same size and everything.. Maybe J3 is a super pedro x bridgesii? It's a great looking plant that is for sure - those spines are trippy!

Maybe J3 is a super pedro x bridgesii?

I can't help but think this is thinking too much. I mean, what is the super-pedro? It itself is likely a hybrid of some sort. And the postulated J3 parent T. bridgesii might also be a hybrid. Hell, these two might be hybrids of hybrids who have full siblings that might not even look similar. The fact is if each of these alleged J3 parents are of hybrid origin, which with our understanding can't be ruled out, the J3 is just a mongrel. Trying to so simply categorize the J3 seems like a fools errand. The likelihood is that four (or five) main "species" have been interbreeding in Australia for some time; these are most likely T. peruvianus, T. pachanoi, "T. pachanoi PC", T. bridgesii, and T. scopulicola. But regardless, that J3 plant is hot...I personally wouldn't rule out a little Trichocereus rosea (aka peruvianus) in there myself.

~Michael~

ps - Maybe I should add T. cuzcoensis/knuthianus into those main "species."

Edited by M S Smith

the J3 is just a mongrel. Trying to so simply categorize the J3 seems like a fools errand.

I couldnt agree more really Michael, like trying to "guess" the origin of any plant with an unknown background, it is a hopeless mission without a solid answer at the end. All based on assumption and personal views which is why i like to just clump plants into whatever category I think they fit. Doing this i have found upsets some ppl easily and they would rather use long winded terms or argue their assumptions about plants rather than "clump" plants into groups, but, each to their own.

For example, the plant i have labeled as "short spine bridgesii" is an obvious hybrid, found growing in a large psycho0 planting next to another strange looking bridgesoid, my assumption is a fallen fruit from psycho0 which was pollinated by a PCpach as it looks extremely similar to the plants of the same cross i have grown yet i will never know for sure. Therefore, due to its general appearance, short spined brigesii seems apt regardless of what ppl assume and would like to argue in regards to its "true" name/origin, after all, you can only fit so much on a label and i havent got time to argue about what may or may not be.

When anyone asks about J3, what is it etc, my general answer is a hybrid of peruvianoid appearance. Anything other than that is just speculation, but we all like trying to solve a good mystery dont we :)

I mean, what is the super-pedro?

Yeah, when are you going to sort out that cordobensis, lance, super pedro conundrum for us Michael :P I thought i read somewhere about it being a Sth Am import to Au???? dunno, my memory is as good as my organisational skills, sweet fuk all to nil. I guess if i get off my arse and go get the tissue samples for the DNA tests we are quarter of the way there, best do it before my interest in all this wanes completely!.

I'm sorry, I'm still confused here - I thought the seeds were Sp X J3 - but in the pics above the tags say J3 x SP - which is it?

I've got it both ways now, got mine as seedlings so no idea on what seed got around. PD's the man to ask I would imagine. Both ways they are very attractive little cacti, but look very different so far. Be interesting to watch them grow :)

post-9625-0-05867100-1312184169_thumb.jp

post-9625-0-78185000-1312184176_thumb.jp

post-9625-0-51267600-1312184183_thumb.jp

post-9625-0-05867100-1312184169_thumb.jpg

post-9625-0-78185000-1312184176_thumb.jpg

post-9625-0-51267600-1312184183_thumb.jpg

post-9625-0-05867100-1312184169_thumb.jpg

post-9625-0-78185000-1312184176_thumb.jpg

post-9625-0-51267600-1312184183_thumb.jpg

Right on - let's hope PD replies - to my earlier post I think he thought I didn't know how the cacti are described in terms of mom x dad - I do know this of course, but am not sure which mine was.. I wanna say it was super pedro x J3 but I may be entirely wrong.. I'm pretty sure I also had super pedro x psycho0 rather than the reverse, but not sure about the J3 cross..

BTW big ups to PD for making all these great crosses - cheers bro!!

yep its super ped x J3 and yes, there is also super ped x psycho0. Im pretty sure i didnt have the reverse of each cross but i have not a lot of seed left these days, most has gone out to ppl or shops.

Looked back at the post in the trade section I got the 1st off from you PD, I marked it wrong, it's super ped x j3 like the other one. Man, dont know how I fucked that up.. Anyways, thanks again for today bro, really appreciatte it! :)