The Corroboree
Kahuin

Trade with Kahuin!

So far as I can see, the two plants are almost identical. There's no strong smell from my plant unless I crush the leaves, which just to be honest smells kinda planty :P

The only other difference I've found is that auritum is usually taller. Its probably too early to tell from the size of mine, but it just seems to be growing out at the moment.

On the note of surviving the winter, I also have Caapi and HBWR growing well :P So maybe the cold just isnt that bad?

Alright, a bit of botanical info from Garden of Eden, which seems to indicate what you have is not P. methysticum.

The petiole on P. methysticum should only be 2cm - 3cm. The petioles on your plants look to be much longer than that.

Kava also requires temperatures of 20°C - 35°C, with 70% - 100% humidity and protection from direct sun and wind.

Hmm, any ideas as to what it is then? I doubt it's P. auritum considering the lack of smell?

No, I don't know my Piper species very well. Someone else here should know. I would have thought P. auritum, but without a strong safrole smell, I suppose it isn't.

Hi Kahuin,

Nice list of plants, I have nothing to trade with but would you be willing to sell some plants?

Thanks

Doesn't look like the kava to me. Look closely at the leaf. The true kava has leaf veins begin at the base of the leaf and run roughly parallel with the central vein, whereas the P. auritum has veins branching out from the central vein down the entire length of the central vein.

• Like 1