The Corroboree
random

Is it possible to buy an acre of Australia for under $10,000?

maybe not an example of buying but the beach shacks up at wedge island not to far from perth are famous for the ol upper class squatting situation, im sure many localites can recall the ''save the shacks" bumper stickers, honestly though i was never a fan..........been there and besides the freeby tin roof house and the sand their aint much, good if your a fisherman...the surf can be quite frustrating and fickle though.

same with guilderton and ledge, ledge only 20 years back really was only a tiny caravan park with some cluster settlements, now its like some weird 3 story retirement home for people with huge mortgages and big 4wds, basically like a mini ellenbrook township...no feel at all anymore, the same will happen to wedge, pretty sad but thats how life travels i suppose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedge_Island_(Western_Australia)

• Like 1

A friend from work just bought into a 120 acre (roughly) property as a tennant in common with 4 other people for $80,000.

Its around the Taree area.

As someone else said living too far away from society will make you go crazy eventually.

One day I will live on my big block of land with noonw bothering me and free from the stresses of city life. But for now I'm just a small wheel in the economic monster.

Hi Meeka, while i was living in the riverland and before i spent all my money travelling, i tentatively looked at blocks in that area and on the way to lameroo. you can get 400-500 acres for around $45-70K but these blocks have nothing really, just scrub with poor understorey (overgrazed in the past), unreliable rainfall and covered with limestone; they appear to be areas of larger argicultural land i imagine the owners need some cash and land clearance is now ilegal. In the riverland the red sand blocks have better scrub but are drier, good for growing cacti and hunting goats and rabbits if that´s your thing and hooning around on quad bikes. There were also blocks of 1000ac going for $90,000 near blanchetown. These were ¨conservation¨ blocks forming part of ¨sanctuary¨, limited areas for development but good blue mallee and spinifex country with good bird diversity, google search Blanchtown Bushland Estate. You can search on the internet or pop into real estate agents in mannum and beyond they usually have some odd bit of land unsuitable for traditional agriculture. Also, land on the west coast ceduna and cowell is very cheap, but because it is basically usless.

Something to look into. You can get what is known as a permit to occupy which enables you to live on government land. A lot of people up here (Cape York) do it. Something like 40m back from the hightide mark is classed as gov land and you can get permits for this land up here. Another thing is you can lease indigenous land for commercial purposes, a commercial lease up to 1 hectare is easiest and then you can get a 1 hectare residential lease with that as well. They are mostly 30 year perpetual leases, Id sign up for 60 years and pay upfront. You can sell the lease, etc. But there are rules on clearing land, putting in roads and pumping water from creeks etc.

For those still interested remember that all prices are negotiable, keep in mind that people have got property's for three times less then the initial advertised price, its even expected you negotiate, if all you have is 10k then just offer 10k, you may find a offer of 10k on a 40k property will get the ball rolling and could open the window for barter card or trades.

Let me just tell you quietly i hopefully will settle shortly on a 110Hectare property in "new England region of NSW" for just 50k..... original asking price was 94k.....

No harm in asking... and let me tell you its the law that any official offer must be presented to the agent.......

Dont expect to simply ask a farmer to sub divide you of a few acears in many many councils the minimal lot size is normally rather large to stop this (500acears or so) and all the smaller lots where divided before 2002.

Here are some to get your brain clicking:

http://www.cheapcoun...y/1/default.asp

PILLIGA half acre $4950

PILLIGA

Lot 5 Walgett Street

Half acre Building block with builders pole and water in small

country town about 20 minutes Wee Waa or 45 mins Narrabri.

Yes that's FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS (not including stamp duty... etc)

so as you can see above anything is really possible.....

Just remember that this is the real world and in the real world there is ALOT of redtape to keep people like "us/you" out of the system of owning property.

expect many council fee's in building permits, draftman fee's, inspections, meeting building codes and standards, owner builder license, duel occupancy problems...... etc

you simply cant just go and build a stick hut slap some mud on it and start squatting there..

sorry correction on the above you can but its not the right way to go about it and you risk losing all your hard work, as much as i wish that i could simply squat on a beach im to much of a girlscout to actually try it, and i spouse most of us are the same + my wife simply wont let me 0_o...

you can live in a shed in most councils for up to 12months.( that can be extended on application)

If you really want to live self sufficient, you will find a way, be it squatting under common law or years of red tape ;)

Apparently at the end of next month there is a expo where many councils/ shires are pushing to change the duel occupancy rule both ways depending on shire, 1 shire will allow compelate separate duel occupancy's and the other shire 40min away will only allow them attached, so if your plan was to have friends live in your "comune" then you would need to check the above.

In regards to your question i think a small cob + strawbail cottage on a 5k block will come in under 10k ;)

All your equipment / furniture / random building materials can be found on craigslist/gumtree for free or very cheap.

or lash out on a house and land package here IN AUSTRALIA for $14,000 ....

http://www.cheapcoun...352/default.asp

hang on with the first home buyers grant that makes the above property free 0_o....???

Btw dont get me wrong im all for squatting and common law i really would love to see people do that, but persioanly myself after weighing up the cons and pros i found squatting and fighting the man to be to hard in the end.... regardless if its right or wrong.

here is a fun interesting property, i assume the tanks are underground?....

$14k BOMB SHELTER BUY IN ANYONE!!!!

57-59 STATION STREET

Three Old Fuel Bowsers Three Fuel Tanks ,Service Pit Toilet Block 2 toilets septic tank 2415m2 four blocks of land

Huge Concrete slab which is ideal to put large shed on, Ok to

build Power phone water available Not been used as fuel outlet

for five years.

B24.jpg

(and by bomb shelter i mean secret mad scientist laboratory)

If you managed to read this fair ill give you another small secret, research "Russel Island" in Brisbane, its only 40min from the city and you should be able to get a large block for 20k maybe even lower with negotiation, you get the best of ALL worlds, city and country and beach and island ><, just make sure to buy above sea level ><

http://www.russellis...rty/details/367

I know not much i have said has been over 1acre but still a start is a start...

start with offering every agent on every property here 10k :)

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/size-+4046-between-50000-50000/list-1?source=refinements

Best of luck!!

Cant wait to see what you buy

-V

Edited by vual
  • Like 1

Isn't there like a fine balance between land cheap enough to afford, and the expense of roads to maintain, and then all the building regulations, and as soon as you can build, then you have to build to regulations, etc, etc, etc, . . . basically, if you only have $10K you are buying land to turn it into a block of the natural world that will not become subject to having any trees removed, and will get planted with more, right?

Edited by curaezipirid

Please let me know, are forum members talking in this thread about a price of about $10-20k per a whole piece of land (building block) or only per a single measure acre=4 square meters?

Do you mean under an "acre" term a piece or only a 4 square meters?

What is the cheapest land near an infrastructure like: Electricity, Shops, may be Schools, GSM+GPRS/Internet, may be Regional medical service and postal department (for ebay purchases), roads may be

with a bus to a nearest city on the south shore ?

I am looking for a minimal allowed amount of land (even under 100 sq. meters would be good) just to place a movable (transportable) home.

Edited by sanyock

one acre = approximately 4050 square metres.

If you managed to read this fair ill give you another small secret, research "Russel Island" in Brisbane, its only 40min from the city and you should be able to get a large block for 20k maybe even lower with negotiation, you get the best of ALL worlds, city and country and beach and island ><, just make sure to buy above sea level ><

http://www.russellis...rty/details/367

I know not much i have said has been over 1acre but still a start is a start...

start with offering every agent on every property here 10k :)

http://www.realestat...rce=refinements

Best of luck!!

Cant wait to see what you buy

-V

russel island has gone up something like 500% in the last few years. I worked up near there not long ago and my boss lives there. I am pretty sure in 5 years his value has gone up 650% on his house / land so you would want to get in there quick. The ferry back and forth is a pain but for te price it is something you could deal with. The best part is being a small island there is a community of people that are willing to help each other out etc. I often did plastering work up there for nothing but meals and a place to stay a few days. They now have police on the island though which sucks used to be rad to drive around in un-regoed cars stickin it to the man.

edit: cut quote down a bit to pretty the thread up, Also keep an eye out for council and police auctions in my local town a house just up from me on a 1560square metre block sold for 58,000 its value on the market is around 200,000. However it is an area that deosn't sell well as it gets blocked off in floods, dont go under just get blocked off maybe once a year tops. If you are wondering the council sells the blocks after 5 years of unpaid rates(i think it was 5 years)

Edited by DarkSpark
  • Like 1

if anyone is interested i have a couple blocks (5) in kingaroy i would let slide for 5k they are about 600sqm each big enough to store your shit grow plants or build ...

I was going to fill them with pine trees to sell but haven't yet, pm me if interested. They are not big lots but for 5k a few min from a good town like kingaroy you cant really complain :)

Edited by vual