Sign in to follow this  
hebrew

Acacia Alpinia

any idea what this one might be, looks phleb like, but highly doubt it is

gallery_473_1_529597.jpg

blurry photo could get better one

gallery_473_1_153366.jpg

gallery_473_1_754782.jpg

just a melanoxylon there fella, at least from what i can see. :)

cool thanks bro.

couldnt put my finger on that one. used to seeing larger melanoxylon's. and don't recall them having such wide phyllodes.

all good, i never seen phleb or alpinia so that was just a guess. thanks gerbil :)

yeah the melanoxylon seems to be highly variable in it's foliage expression within localised and broader populations, particularly at young stages like the plants in the photos, not strictly but moreso than a lot of the other Acacia i see on a regular basis, but those species alone would have their specific unique variations too no doubt. I recall when learning the locals around here years ago, seems the melanoxylon was quite frequent in throwing out juvenille bipinnate foliage, specifically like they do as seedlings from the transition from bipinnate to phyllode, i.e. a pyhllode terminating with bipinnate foliage.

I've no experience with alpina either, though i think generally their phyllodes are much smaller, maxing out at around 30mm width in the more extreme expressions.

Some of the giveaways with these photos are the characteristic patterns/colourations of the stems, the characteristics of the dead phyllodes and the variation of the live phyllode of which is easy to skew ID as there seems to be less stable representation on those plants, though can still see some of the general melanoxylon phyllode shapes poking around in there.

though with anything, nothing is 100% ;) If you're up that way sporadically, can't hurt to check in on them for flower structures etc to solidify ID over time, or even just to see the further variation and stabilisation the plants will go through.

A good local species to see mass shift in width of phyllode, particularly on young plants is A. pycnantha, going from like dinner plates at times, to those more skinny extremes that melanoxylon can do. Plus their colours are really purdy, almost smack on like phleb, sunburnt colours...

A good local species to see mass shift in width of phyllode, particularly on young plants is A. pycnantha, going from like dinner plates at times, to those more skinny extremes that melanoxylon can do. Plus their colours are really purdy, almost smack on like phleb, sunburnt colours...

Like this or could this be A. alpinia? Photos taken last week. (spotted N.E Vic Alps @ >900m altitude)

6678511007_1c139246c6_z.jpg

6678517055_0211386027_z.jpg

Edited by Mt.B

Like this or could this be A. alpinia? Photos taken last week. (spotted N.E Vic Alps @ +1,300m altitude)

Looks like I should have done an image search on A. pycnantha before asking the question :blush:

I came across this little guy while out submerging myself in Mother Nature yesterday. Looks pretty good for a Acacia alpina me thinks. How about others?

post-7065-0-01654300-1352183650_thumb.jp

post-7065-0-29721800-1352183698_thumb.jp

post-7065-0-01654300-1352183650_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-29721800-1352183698_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-01654300-1352183650_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-29721800-1352183698_thumb.jpg