The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
solomon

Constructing a Heating Mat

Hey gang, sorry if this shouldn't be here, I couldn't find anywhere else where it would fit in.

So I recently purchased 9 meters of 80w heating cable. I plan on germinating cacti and leafys on this.

The place I got it from provided no info on using it apart from saying it can be wrapped around pots in Winter.

After reading some threads here and elsewhere on the net I decided that I would lay the cable in sand in a metal tray.

The tray is 91cm x 76cm and 10cm deep. I plan on putting the cable about 5cm deep in the sand, on top the sand there will be trays to catch any water from the pots.

Here is a rough idea of my plan

post-7609-0-00681700-1310615716_thumb.jp

Can anyone tell me if this is dangerous/stupid or if there is a better way to go about using a heating cable to make a heat pad?

Cheers

post-7609-0-00681700-1310615716_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-00681700-1310615716_thumb.jpg

Is the cable waterproof? Some of them are (or maybe even all them). Looks good, but like occidentalis suggested, place the cable closer to the surface. The one I have generates an impressive amount of heat compared to the heat mats I've got.

Cheers for the replies, I will only bury it a cm or two then.

I just emailed the supplier and they said that it is waterproof but not designed to run underwater.

edit:

Tripsis how do you use your cables?

Edited by centipede

I've only used it once. I simply placed in under the pot and then once around them too. Generated plenty of heat to keep them warm. Depending on what I was trying to do, I would probably do something like what you're doing next time.

The place I got it from provided no info on using it apart from saying it can be wrapped around pots in Winter.

I would be interested in getting something like that for pots in winter

Where did you get it

Thanks centipede this is a good idea.

I wonder, might u let the cable arc or curve or spiral- instead of letting heat build in corners(?)

one could distribute heat more evenly, efficiently..

(like a stovetop?)

Not sure about metal. Earth pottery or something might have

an earthier ambience, safer, less conducive lest accident arise..

Edited by mud

A heat pad basically for under reptile [aquarium]tanks might be best for germinating cacti and leafys.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/cat/infoL3/23940/category.web

Or just buy one.

Hydrofarm CK64050 Germination Station with Heat Mat]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HHO1RO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=growwcom07-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000HHO1RO

Nice plans! Have you put it together yet, centipede?

I'm guessing it is much cheaper than those Aussie made 'Heat & Grow' mats. I have bought 3 of them over the years, my oldest one is about 6 years now and it works just as good as the day I took it out of the box...and you have to love the thermostat control, but $100+ for a 30cmsq mat is brutal. Would love to try something like you have planned.

hey mate i have one that i use with an alumiunium plate. i machined a slot in the bottom to lay the cable in. Then i pored epoxy in the slot to seal it. It gives of a perfect even heat. i even use it for an incubator for mushrooms. The sand idea seems pretty goood too though, they really need some thing for a bit more thermal mass. If not their heat isn't very even and they can get i think a bit too hot in points. i would maybe add a drain hole or two though to prevent the sand getting all soggy.

IMG00020-20110902-0651.jpg

Edited by El presidente Hillbillios

that hydrofarm gemination thingo looks alright, does anyone know if these are available in Aus? i mean i would like to look at one and see what its like before i buy one

Nice plans! Have you put it together yet, centipede?

I'm guessing it is much cheaper than those Aussie made 'Heat & Grow' mats. I have bought 3 of them over the years, my oldest one is about 6 years now and it works just as good as the day I took it out of the box...and you have to love the thermostat control, but $100+ for a 30cmsq mat is brutal. Would love to try something like you have planned.

I did put it together but only used it for a fortnight. Worked very well but then I found a similar sized heatpad for cheap so I decided to wrap the cable around the plastic tub my Tabernanthe is growing in instead.. A bit overkill but now the day time temps in there exceed 35c and night time temps are 25c.

Would have been excellent for rooting cacti cuttings in tho.