The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
El Presidente Hillbillios

anyone had a bad reaction to Stevia?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had a bad reaction to stevia. I bought a box of coconut drinks that use stevia as sweetener. After about a day of drinking em i started to get what i thought was the flu coming on, mostly head and body aches. This was accompanied with elevated temps.

I stopped drinking them just by chance, without suspecting them at all and the symptoms stopped. Then today i had one at lunch time and the exact symptoms are back.

I will not drink any more till mid week then chug two in a sitting just to see it is really them.

Weird ey?

Edited by El presidente Hillbillios

Check the entire list of ingredients eg does it contain preservatives like 211 or other things likely to cause such a reaction. If you list the ingredients that may help. :)

*signed 'queen of allergic reactions to all things unnatural.

(Just for the record I'm not allergic to stevia)

it says reconstituted coconut water, fruit juice, natural swwetners (fructose, stevia [stevis glycosides]) food acid (malic acid) natural flavours.

Im never allergic to anything though, thats why it weird

Never had a problem with Stevia, either as an extract or as fresh leaf. Strange reaction, though I think it's likely to be something else added to the drink.

quite possible, i should try something else with stevia and see if it duplicates the symptoms

Maybe its slightly spoiled? Not enough to taste it but enough to make you sick. There are some bacteria that can higher your temperature when your body is fighting em.

Yea strange one eh. If it has no preservatives in it then i'm not sure what it could be. Quite often people can become sensitized to chemical preservatives when previously they'd shown no obvious reactions to years of ingesting them. Stevia reactions are few and far between from what i've read, but then there's always the chance of hidden ingredients or chemical adulteration of the natural ingredients involved. I have stevia sweetener here that i've thought makes me feel ill, whereas chewing on a leaf of my stevia plant shows no ill effects.