The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

Chronic pain and psychedelics

I made a rather strange observation. LSD results in a profound decrease in symptoms of autoimmune inflammatory illnesses.

And then I came upon:

Several 5-HT2A agonist hallucinogens including ®-DOI, TCB-2, LSD and LA-SS-Az have unexpectedly also been found to act as potent inhibitors of TNFα, with DOI being the most active, showing TNFα inhibition in the picomolar range, an order of magnitude more potent than its action as a hallucinogen.[6][7][8]

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/327/2/316

http://molinterv.aspetjournals.org/content/9/6/299

Perhaps if medical researchers were able to come up with something that stimulated 5-HT2A receptors in the vascular system without being able to cross into the CNS it could be the most potent anti-arthritic known to man with a very low toxicity threshold.

i have chronic neck pain, i have found mushrooms were extremely helpful, completely nullified my pain.

My 'personal' experience is that psychedelics have a tendency to make my back/neck pain worse, particularly 'speedy' ones like LSD and mescaline. I guess everyone responds differently.

Yeah I find psyches make kidney stone pains muuuch worse, also some back and leg pains. Depends on the pain, maybe my pains are made worse by psyches because of the vasoconstriction/and or muscle spasming. I generally don't have inflammatory problems though.

Great to hear they might help other kinds of pain though :)

I always have sore bones/joints after a blotter time. Don't know about during though, I'm always quite distracted. I have witnessed positive effects on a sore neck/back resulting from not sleeping right. (How easy is it to sleep though, easiest thing in the world, and I failed at it, dumbfuck) Felt as though all of my muscles had melted and reformed perfectly aligned.

I think its probably limited to auto inflammatory illnesses where TNF alpha regulation doesnt shut down normally.

Perhaps if medical researchers were able to come up with something that stimulated 5-HT2A receptors in the vascular system without being able

to cross into the CNS it could be the most potent anti-arthritic known to man with a very low toxicity threshold.

AL-34662 [structure] looks like it would suit that purpose. Do people, who normally find acute relief from psychedelics, get worse symptoms/rebound after using them for longer periods etc?

Personally, I wouldn't think that direct agonism of 5-HT2A receptors is the best option in the long-term.