The Corroboree
nano

Best crops for survival gardening

Judo points are the best for rabbits....use energy transfer to knock 'em down and if you miss they will stand the arrow up.

Sharp bladed arrow heads pass through and you'll lose 'em usually. The judo points and blunts are more humane for small game.

Bowfishing is also worth looking into for the interested....I love my bows :lol:

• Like 4

Judo points are the best for rabbits....use energy transfer to knock 'em down and if you miss they will stand the arrow up.

Sharp bladed arrow heads pass through and you'll lose 'em usually. The judo points and blunts are more humane for small game.

Bowfishing is also worth looking into for the interested....I love my bows :lol:

Ah yea ive been reading about these points today, they sound like the go... im planning on getting a bow for hunting rabbits ,for food of course .

But I am new to bow hunting , ive not used a bow and arrow since high school archery in PE.

Do you you use a reverse curve bow or a compound bow waterboy?

My main bow is a takedown recurve (poachers rig...lol...handy in zombie country as well), also have two compounds.

Only really get one of the compounds out now and thats for a bit of fishing and when I feel like a bit of target work (not often these days).

The takedown travels with me a bit now though, packed with a fishing rod :wink: . Legally down here we are very limited on what can be taken by bow

• Like 1

zombie country?? can i came fishing :uzi:

• Like 1

^guess what daddy is getting for xmas now....

Edited by waterboy

a zombie??

• Like 1

Not sure if I mentioned Acacias in my previous posts here, but I've heard that some Acacias have been trialed with some success in Africa as food crops for their seeds - Acacia colei seemed to be the standout for yields in dry conditions as I remember, but I don't remember that well.

I thought there would be but cant find it atm so here's a partial list of useful Acacias

Acacia acradenia Seed
Acacia acuminata Raspberry Jam wood Seed
Acacia adsurgens Seed
Acacia amplecips Seed
Acacia ancistrocarpa Seed
Acacia aneura Mulga, Seed/gum, grub & lerps
Acacia aulacocarpa Hickory wattle Seed
Acacia baileyana Cootamundra wattle Seed
Acacia bidwillii Corkwood wattle Seed
Acacia brachystachya Umbrella mulga Seed
Acacia cambagi Gidgee Gum
Acacia coriacea Wiry wattle Seed
Acacia cowleana Seed
Acacia cuthbertsonii Seed
Acacia dictyophleba Seed
Acacia difficilis River Wattle Seed/Gum
Acacia dunnii Elephant ear wattle Leaf
Acacia eriopola Seed, grub
Acacia estrophialata Ironwood Seed
Acacia fimbriata Brisbane wattle Seed, grubs
Acacia holosericea Liringgin Seed and root
Acacia kempeana Witchetty bush Seed
Acacia ligulata Cooba Seed
Acacia longifolia Sydney golden wattle Seed
Acacia lysiphloia Turpentine wattle Seed
Acacia macdonnellensis Seed
Acacia macradenia Zig zag wattle Seed, grubs

• Like 4

fuk me thats a list

Edited by bullit
  • Like 2

I thought there would be but cant find it atm so here's a partial list of useful Acacias

Acacia acradenia Seed

Acacia acuminata Raspberry Jam wood Seed

Acacia adsurgens Seed

Acacia amplecips Seed

Acacia ancistrocarpa Seed

Acacia aneura Mulga, Seed/gum, grub & lerps

Acacia aulacocarpa Hickory wattle Seed

Acacia baileyana Cootamundra wattle Seed

Acacia bidwillii Corkwood wattle Seed

Acacia brachystachya Umbrella mulga Seed

Acacia cambagi Gidgee Gum

Acacia coriacea Wiry wattle Seed

Acacia cowleana Seed

Acacia cuthbertsonii Seed

Acacia dictyophleba Seed

Acacia difficilis River Wattle Seed/Gum

Acacia dunnii Elephant ear wattle Leaf

Acacia eriopola Seed, grub

Acacia estrophialata Ironwood Seed

Acacia fimbriata Brisbane wattle Seed, grubs

Acacia holosericea Liringgin Seed and root

Acacia kempeana Witchetty bush Seed

Acacia ligulata Cooba Seed

Acacia longifolia Sydney golden wattle Seed

Acacia lysiphloia Turpentine wattle Seed

Acacia macdonnellensis Seed

Acacia macradenia Zig zag wattle Seed, grubs

haha...I was about to add to my post, "but I'm pretty sure Shortly knows heaps more"...but I'm trying to stop editing my posts to oblivion immediately after I write them, bad habit :lol:

Add away there is shite loads that i dont know & forgotten more than i care to admit.

And it only appears that i know heaps, because of my craft every time i hear or read something new i have to write it down so i end up with these prodigious lists.

Oh & to add to the above list (sorry guys my main HDD was down so that list was an old version)

Acacia sophorae coastal wattle seed :- a fairly decent coffee substitute or ground into flour makes excellent flat breads

(WARNING too many will tend to give one gas)

I'll go through the current version after i've run my morning errands

• Like 2

"but I'm pretty sure Shortly knows heaps more"

^ that is all I was going to add haha...I don't know my Acacias very well at all :P

My thinking is that you need a crop that is reliable all year long and not just the warm months - unless you live in an appropriate area where they can fruit all year round. So Id knock crops like tomatoes on the head.

ive been looking into a long, lost vegetable called 'skirret' - it grows all year round and can tolerate some pretty harsh conditions.

http://www.restorationseeds.com/products/skirret

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/unusual-vegetables-scorzonera-salsify-celtuce-zmaz94onzraw.aspx

http://yougrowgirl.com/growing-and-eating-cardoon/

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

I would recommend Malabar Spinach- it grows very fast, spreads like crazy, and the leaves grow to be huge, thick, and flavorful. They also love the heat!

On a more general level, to really boost small-scale food production, consider using a biostimulant like electro-horticulture or the use of beneficial microbes. Either alone or together, they can improve yields, reduce time to harvest, and prevent certain diseases and infestations.

• Like 1

Yacon!

This tuber is so delicious! So much juice in it, it's uncanny. EASY to grow being a tuber.

Great for diabetics!

The tubers contain fructooligosaccharide, an indigestible polysaccharide made up of fructose. Fructooligosaccharides taste sweet, but pass through the human digestive tract unmetabolised, hence have very little caloric value. Moreover, fructooligosaccharides have a prebiotic effect, meaning they are used by beneficial bacteria that enhance colon health and aid digestion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yac%C3%B3n

Edited by _Cursive
  • Like 3

Thought I'd bump my ol' favourite thread with some new finds.

My thinking has shifted to using drought-resistant trees as much as possible, because once established it's a pretty hardy and permanent resource that doesn't require additional input in terms of water and nutrients or much labour.

Some from my list:

Fig

Jujube

Kei Apple

Pomegranate

Jelly Palm

Mulberry

Olive

Macadamia

Moringa

Some of these I found through this cool free 70-page PDF on edible drought plants (lots more in there) http://crfgsandiego.org/Presentations/Drought%20Tolerant%20Fruiting%20Trees,%20Shrubs%20and%20Vines.pdf

Also thanks to another post on SAB I recently discovered "painted mountain corn" which definitely deserves a place on this list. A corn variety bread over 30 years from traditional native American land race strains to be the most cold, heat and drought tolerant corn around.

• Like 2

Gtarman do you want some painted mountain corn seeds?

• Like 1

Probably not atm sorry coolname, but perhaps in the future! Currently I'm growing out a crop of Hillybilly's Hopi Blue corn so I don't want to cross polinate it. Keen to give the mountain corn a go next season though! How do you find it goes here in the subtropics? It handles the humidity okay?

No worries man I will probably do a giveaway one day in the future if you are keen.

They grow really well here in summer or winter, but I haven't seen how they handle a proper wet season yet

• Like 2

It's threads like these that make me love this forum. I apologize if this doesn't count but I'm a massive fan of microgrows - I grew tomatoes in my cupboard simply with 4ft fluoros I found in a skip (my uncle and I raided that badboy and got like 30+ plug in and plug fluorescent lights - unbelievable!)

so was there ever a start to the earlier mentioned food seed trade thread? I would be keen to swap and share. Im just starting to prepare for my new veggie garden.

I have a stock of heirloom seeds from eden seeds - more than Ineed that I would be happy to trade

• Like 1

Yeah, thats something I'd definitely be interested in using too Niggles. Until such a time arises, might I also reccommend to anyone, looking into the Bakers Creek seeds website from the US. Its absolutely mindblowing. I regularly use them, never had any issues.

• Like 2

I'm keen to circulate a few heirlooms, and acquire a few more...lol:lol:

*wow that Oxheart carrot on the front page of the BCseeds website (thanks sarcophilis:wink:) got me hard...schwing

EDIT - I just have to get the carrot seed

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 1

An absolute pleasure mate! I have close to 400 varieties from there. Just waiting till my house is finished, to fence off an acre for them all haha

• Like 1