The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
migraineur

What to Do?

Hey guys,

Someone sent some plants to me on Monday via Express Post and as of today Australia Post has still not delivered. I knew the package would not come on Tuesday because only the Perth CBD receives the packages the following day but I was expecting to get the package today.

My problem is that no one will be home during business hours tomorrow or the following day. Can anyone tell me if Australia Post will leave the package at the front door or will they take it to the local post office?

Do you think I could leave a note on my door telling the delivery man to leave the package at the front door?

I don't want to end up with dead plants = /

I would imagine most plants would survive it. its really only if its really hot that they suffer.

As its express post they should leave a card for you in your postbox, and you will then have to go to the postoffice to collect.

Well thats how it works with my postoffice, they only give us a card. I think Australia post is required to scan the bardcodes supplied on receipt of the package. Thats how they check that the delivery went ok. probably need to protect themselves.

Go to your post office after work whatever, it'll probably be waiting, if it not already :wink:

Cheers, Obtuse.

I start work at 8:30 and don't get home until about 6PM. FUCK! Maybe I could go into work hell early tomorrow or something and try to leave early.

They leave express post satchels in the letter box on in front of the door here.

Leave a Note and write something like "Hello Postman, please deliver to Adress XYZ". Adress XYZ could be your parents, grandparents, neighbor, whoever you trust.

If i'm not home they leave em at the back door, should be fine.

sometimes they dont leave it near the front door, i have found ebay parcels in semi weird places like on my windshield wipers on my windscreen on my car in the carport, my friend bought some laptops online and watched in the messenger dude throw the box over his side fence which resulted in 2 out of the 4 laptops having cracked screens, have had very honest neighbours and even somebody from the other side of the suburb drop of parcels clearly marked with my addy.

alot of people think the mail is a perfect system, but for the final and most important stage is always done by a human, the delivery part.......some people just cant read well, are hungover, in a hurry, just make mistakes, i do not trust express at all, not only cos the whole process is rush rush rush and more humanised but also in regards to WA i feel the scrutiny and security is much higher checking contents etc...........im sure it goes through international airport as opposed to regular mail which doesnt but im not certain, in 6 days you will know either way with a letter from AQIS if it doesnt show soon, but yes i have also picked up a box from the mail man who knows me with no details left in my mailbox by the posty to actually inform me. i gather this is why registered mail exists cos of consistant screw ups but that also has its flaws depending on the situation.

I have found that if I know the postie well they will stash it somewhere safe out of sight of passers by. If I don't know the postie then it will usually go to the post office and a note will be left. Here's the official answer:

Delivering your parcels

Parcel deliveries begin at 7am every business day and end at 5pm. We'll make every attempt to deliver your parcel personally and a signature will be obtained when requested.

When the person you are sending the parcel to isn't there to receive it, we'll:

1. Check delivery instructions - these can be specified at time of lodgement.

2. Look for a "safe drop" location - when there are no delivery instructions and a signature is not required, the delivery driver will look for a safe location to leave your parcel. A notification card will then be dropped in the addressee's letter box, letting them know of the safe drop location.

3. Return the parcel to an Australia Post outlet - when a safe location cannot be found and your delivery instructions specify that it should not be left or if a signature is required, our delivery driver will leave a note to your addressee to let them know which Australia Post retail outlet they can collect their parcel from and the time that it will be available for collection.

Transferring your parcel

If your parcel has been returned to an Australia Post retail outlet for collection, you can request for it to be transferred between post offices. A $5.50 fee will apply to each parcel transferred and will be payable on collection.

I got it! The guy left it at the front door. I left a sign on the front door asking the guy to leave it there if no one was home to pick it up. I am not sure if he would have left it anyway. I have had left packages left at the front door before but not always.

That parcel transfer service sounds good. Thanks for the tip, Alice.

anything of major importance i have actually delivered to work and i pick it up from the front office, dont know if your work place is that understanding. I work in a building of 100 staff and we all do it at some time.

Well, it was just an off week. I basically found out when it was too late that no one was going to be around during business hours. I would have sent it to work but I just started at the place recently and some people there are dicks. I'd rather keep my hobby to myself. I could try next time though.

my friend bought some laptops online and watched in the messenger dude throw the box over his side fence which resulted in 2 out of the 4 laptops having cracked screens

That is just wrong! :lol: