The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dragonfly

Herbs to stop or reduce bleeding

What are some herbs that can stop or reduce bleeding immediately when taken. I am not talking about serious bleeding, just minor things such as nosebleeding or menstruation. I have tried shepherds purse but it had little effect.

For cuts and things coca leaves are traditionally used because they constrict the blood vessels around the area and also act like a local anesthetic - they are crushed up and put on the wound rather than used externally. Shame the trees are illegal in almost all countries :angry:

Sheppard's purse is supposed to be good and some sources suggest this is due to ergot-like fungi that grow on it causing vasoconstriction. I read also that stinging nettle aint bad at reducing bleeding.

I can't remember off hand, but there is a leaf you can roll and stick up the nostril that's bleeding........Yarrow?

Also Amalaki,Cayenne (yeah it hurts but works,but can be drank with warm water),Goldenseal,Chinese Wormwood....as for cuts tobacco applied and taped over or stuffed into the wound works wonders.

Mescalito said it before - Yarrow, it has been used to staunch bleeding for centuries.

When I was pregnant I was showing signs of miscarriage (bleeding) and the hospital basically told me to go home as there was nothing they could do.

Magicdirt said there is no way we are letting them go without a fight and he made me eat yarrow every hour until the bleeding stopped (about 5 hours) and then for another 3 hours after that. The babies both survived.

The yarrow that had been living happily on our verandah for 4 years died within days of the incident, we like to think it gave its life so the kids could survive.

Yarrow goes OK in a smoking mix too.

• Like 1

we like to think it gave its life so the kids could survive.

:worship:

Not sure about any other herbs for stopping bleeding but i can say from bitter experience to definitely NOT take reishi if you are cut and or bleeding.

Reshi is a wonderful "herb" with lots of benefits including being a terrific anticoagulant.

Not sure about any other herbs for stopping bleeding but i can say from bitter experience to definitely NOT take reishi if you are cut and or bleeding.

Reshi is a wonderful "herb" with lots of benefits including being a terrific anticoagulant.

ive also found that panax ginseng, ashwaghanda and perhaps Rhodiloa rosea tend to make one bleed longer.

Can't help with the plants - there are surely some that would probably help. If you need other options:

The amino acid glycine (with added calcium salt source), applied as a concentrated topical solution, was found to be very effective in speeding up the blood coagulation process. Alum (aluminium potassium sulfate) is also effective: "It is frequently used topically and internally in traditional systems of medicine including Ayurveda, where it is called phitkari or saurashtri, and Traditional Chinese Medicine, where it is called ming fa" [Link]

Chitosan rapidly clots blood. As does calcium-loaded zeolite (aluminosilicate mineral)

Anyone happen to know what an old product called Stype-Wool (sp?) was made of? Looked like cellulose... Might be mostly plant-origin but I can't find out anything else.

Extremely effective for stopping low-level bleeding from what I can remember, don't think they sell it these days though.