The Corroboree
strangebrew

Macrolepiota clelandii

Question

post-608-0-90132000-1307852608_thumb.jpg

Macrolepiota clelandii - Australia's only parasol mushroom, as it seems Macrolepiota procera isn't here.

These have been all around the place lately. I believe ferret has eaten them?

The only thing that puzzled me was a small amount of maroon coloured staining on the creamy gills which I can't find any mention of. It didn't occur when I broke the flesh.

23 answers to this question

They taste great, I highly recommend them. The maroon colouring on the gills is from age. Younger specimens will be a pure cream colour.

Edit:

Australia's only parasol mushroom

This isn't actually correct. We also have Macrolepiota dolichaula. I've also found what I believe to be M. procera in pine forest, as M. clelandii grows in natural bushland, but it was on the forest margin, so may well have been th latter.

Edited by tripsis
  • Like 1

Would you guys say that all white spored Macrolepiota-looking species found in Australia are edible? I often come across Chlorophyllum molybdites, and their green spores are a dead give away. I also occasionally come across other Parasol-like mushrooms that have white spores, so I figure they are probably of the Macrolepiota genus and, therefore, probably edible. Is this a bad conclusion to make?

I've seen a few out and about but haven't picked any yet. Taste similar to a normal storebought mushroom?

I'd be fairly confident eating any Macrolepiota species. Chlorophyllum species I'd be more careful about, not that I've had the opportunity to try any yet. Chlorophyllum brunneum is edible, though some people are allergic to them and experiece symptoms as poisioning.

This article by Else Vellinga is worth a read, though doesn't have any info specifically on the ediblilty of the species discussed. Strangely, she claims that Chlorophyllum molybdites can be a good edible mushroom...

I've seen a few out and about but haven't picked any yet. Taste similar to a normal storebought mushroom?

Nothing alike. Far better flavour (I strongly dislike button mushrooms) and a very soft and fluffy texture.

Edit: You'd want to be careful of large-statured Lepiota species, as many Lepiota species are poisonous and might be confused for Macrolepiota species.

Edited by tripsis
  • Like 1

I've also found what I believe to be M. procera in pine forest, as M. clelandii grows in natural bushland, but it was on the forest margin, so may well have been th latter.

These were in pine forest margins also. M. procera can supposedly get to quite a huge size, which is why I think the clelandii are delineated as seperate.

Chlorophyllum brunneum are probably the white spored ones Marcel is referring to - these are shaggier looking. These are pretty common. Be very careful if trying them. Only eat a very small, COOKED portion at first, never raw, to see how you fare.

Edited by strangebrew

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant is: what is it about a Macrolepiota that makes it a Macrolepiota? If Chlorophyllum brunneum has white spores, what is it, macroscopically, that makes it obviously not a Macrolepiota? They look very much alike to me (according to internet photos).

I'm not sure if there are many macroscopic features that set Macrolepiota and Chlorophyllum apart as genera. Individual species might be easy enough to key out, but to just look at a specimen without knowing what genus it already belongs to and be able to make the correct judgement of where its taxonomy lies would probably be pretty difficult. After all, many (if not all) Chlorophyllum species are synonymous with Macrolepiota or Leptiota species. I'm obviously no expert on the matter, but I think it's just a matter of getting to know each species. Seeing as the genera are so similar macroscopically, I assume that when a species is transferred from one genus to the other, it's due to microscopic characteristics, or genetic differences.

mmm thats a good lookin shroom. i ate some years back with no probs, but i havent shared any of the macrolep/chlorophyllum group around since my run in last year.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant is: what is it about a Macrolepiota that makes it a Macrolepiota? If Chlorophyllum brunneum has white spores, what is it, macroscopically, that makes it obviously not a Macrolepiota? They look very much alike to me (according to internet photos).

yeah tripsis is right, not really a good way to tell by eye. i suppose sometimes you can see the patterning caused by the stretching of the stipe covering in Macrolepiota, sometimes on the lower fresh stemms of clelandii you get that procera-type patterning. Chlorophyllum should have a 'smooth' stipe so they dont get that.

but then its usually pretty easy , thers only the 3 Macrolepiota spp. recognised in Aus., and M. eucharis sounds very localised..

So, if it's a parasol mushroom, and the spores are white, it's edible?

From Wiki:

Recent DNA studies have split this genus into two clades. The first includes M. procera, M. mastoidea, M. clelandii and closely related species, while the second clade is more diverse and includes M. rhacodes, Chlorophyllum molybdites and many others.

Going by that, I'd guess it's safer to eat members from the first clade and more likely to be poisoned by members from the second clade. Keep in mind that some people do experience poisoning from Chlorophyllum brunneum.

The spores of every Macrolepiota species I've ever found aren't really white either, more a yellow-cream.

• Like 1

Young mentions some people being fine eating C.molydbites as well after cooking, so maybe the toxicity issues are the same with all the Chlorophyllum species.

Chlorophyllum rachodes and Chl. brunneum are both very widespread. The former is known

from Europe and North America, and the second one is found in Europe, North America, and

Australia. Other records from these species might be this or another species, and should be

checked. These two species are eaten, but adverse reactions occur in some people.

An excerpt taken from the Chlorophyllum paper by Else C. Vellinga. Here's a link to the pdf>>http://nature.berkeley.edu/brunslab/ev/CHLOROPHYLLUM.pdf

M. rachodes is now in the Genus Chlorophyllum, if anyone cares.:P

I've only come across C. brunneum and M. clelandii in Australia. Have eaten them both as well.

Dont forget some (generally pretty smallish) Lepiotas have white spore print and contain deadly toxins.

So I would suggest against general rules - and go by the species.

And yep they are of the tastier mushrooms

Hi all, are these Macrolepiota?

post-11208-0-07770900-1403403627_thumb.j

found early april southcoast(shoalhaven)

also is this Chlorophyllum molybdites?

post-11208-0-19753300-1403403805_thumb.j

sorry bad pic, did not take spore print, but the gills went olive green on maturity

thanks =)

post-11208-0-07770900-1403403627_thumb.jpg

post-11208-0-19753300-1403403805_thumb.jpg

post-11208-0-07770900-1403403627_thumb.jpg

post-11208-0-19753300-1403403805_thumb.jpg

olive green in maturity = Chlorophyllum

I would also say proceras fruit in every possible habitat here: hi alt forests, by the seas forests, forest openings, forest margins, in country roads, In meadowlands you name it

so the "where you found it" doesn't quite ID the species, Macro or Chloro.

Mutant, you sure you found M. procera in a forest? Its habitat is almost exclusively grassland. There are a couple distinct variants that grow on wood debris, but that is the preffered habitat of C. rachodes.

"Its habitat is almost exclusively grassland"

says who? well not MY books.

I dont know what books you are reading, and I often say , well, I am from another continent, and its nice to remember that.

So, M. procera var. procera thrives on certain woods, like oak and pine. Dont forget woods have openings, and roads that go through, serving as openings, so I am not suggesting the mushroom is mycorhizical, but the fact that it fruits in large numbers in woods too!

There is also M.fuliginosa (also found in woods), which is really reminiscent of procera and of course the more wood-loving species M.mastoidea which fruits in more dark areas, mostly in woods. We also got M.excoriata and other mid-size species, but these are more grass-meadow lovers.

And yeah, I have found M.rachodes, now C.rhachodes only twice, both times in the woods

but macrolepiota procera is one of the commonest mushrooms, and it might express it self better in oak wood and openings, that is fruit in larger numbers, but its quite common to find it ANYWHERE really.

PS: Chlorophyllums are not than common around here, only ID'ed them positively once or twice

You are not from a different continent than me, not even from a different region (peninsula). Anywho, recent studies have stated that the species found growing on composted grass is the feal M. procera, and others a distinct variants. Sorry, cant link you to any papers because Im on my phone. Personally, I have never found real, huge, shaggy procera anywhere else than on meadows, just a few hundred miles north of you, but have found many of its smaller cousins in the woods.

M. procera var. procera

habitat: usually in groups, in woods, grasslands, wood openings, pastures, heaths, in sunny positions.

Giorgos Constantinides, 2009

I admit I have only once IDed M.fuliginosa which at first I mistook for procera. Found it at the side of a wood road , hi-alt.

But I have picked them by tens and even hundreds in oak forests and mixed pine , up to 35 cm cap diameter, even though that is not my common hunting woods... I have also found them more solitarily in other woods openings or next to the wood margins...

Edited by mutant

Thats very interesting. I believe you, I just thought you might be finding some more interesting variant, since I never found them anywhere that was even partly shrouded by trees, or even heard them growing in such habitat.

the oak and mixed pine it has been found by hundereds is by the sea, also found in large numbers in 600m alt plain oak wood.

also, a couple hundred miles, say 800 to the north is a pretty different mushroom habitat from where I am . F.e. we pick mushrooms in November, often up to december and sometimes they even fruit during our mild winter.

I have found proceras in a sparce eucalyptus little park in January (sea level)