The Corroboree
ferret

C. paspali

thought i would have a look at the paspalum in my front yard and found a few slerotia looking things and some honeydew.

post-251-0-42630600-1307515027_thumb.jpg

heres the honeydew stage- loaded with conidia 11.3-15.4 x 4.4-5.1

post-251-0-23479900-1307515061_thumb.jpgpost-251-0-77082400-1307515076_thumb.jpg

looks pretty good when compared to this pic i found on the net.

img0456.jpg

post-251-0-23479900-1307515061_thumb.jpg

post-251-0-77082400-1307515076_thumb.jpg

post-251-0-23479900-1307515061_thumb.jpg

post-251-0-77082400-1307515076_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! What a find. Intending on doing anything with it?

nah i don't have the balls to play around with this one, although that Kykeon wine does sound interesting.. for other people to try!

hopefully i can keep an eye on them and get some pics of the the scerotia fruiting.

curiously, while i was flatbed scanning the flower heads i noticed the honeydew strongly fluorescing where it had touched the glass.. heres an "uninfected" floret compared to a sclerotium , both in a little puddle of water.. apparently my scanner has a UV lamp?

post-251-0-99026500-1307521220_thumb.jpg

Now that is very cool, i dont want to think what the APPS would say, but very cool.

Keep the pic's comming

I need a popcorn emoticon.

Hofmann states that that paspalum distichum contains only ergonovine and lysergic acid amide, and not the toxic ergotamine and ergotoxine. I wonder if your grass is p. distichum? Looks similar to the pic on wikipedia.

Guess it would take a brave soul to experiment with this stuff though given the sub 1mg activity of most of the compounds.

Edited by kalika

Fascinating stuff ferret :blink: - looks like P. distichum to me.

Pls keep us posted.

nah i don't have the balls to play around with this one, although that Kykeon wine does sound interesting.. for other people to try!

hopefully i can keep an eye on them and get some pics of the the scerotia fruiting.

curiously, while i was flatbed scanning the flower heads i noticed the honeydew strongly fluorescing where it had touched the glass.. heres an "uninfected" floret compared to a sclerotium , both in a little puddle of water.. apparently my scanner has a UV lamp?

That is just sexy! but plse remember to keep this coshur

pretty sure it's on Paspalum dilatatum.

had a look around the neighboorhood yesterday and realise this stuff is everywhere- i'd say approx 1/3 of P. dilatatum around my area is infected.

post-251-0-04658000-1307672032_thumb.jpg

plenty of it is co-infected with Cerebella spp.

post-251-0-06898700-1307673365_thumb.jpg

(prrrrobably not a good idea to handle these with bare hands as I did yesterday. spent a good 5 hours last night feeling like i was coming up on a mild trip. waves of heavy thumping elevated heart rate, intensification of colours and light, very energetic/fidgety so I went on a 2km walk around the block at 1:30 am. managed to sleep around 5am. almost packed myself into a cab to the hospital once i realised i was undoubtedly dosed with something.. pretty damn sure i did not accidentally consume any orally!)

• Like 1

^ ^ :o Whoa, thats pretty full on ferret............

That's pretty interesting ferret. Any feelings of being poisoned?

no i didn't really feel "poisoned" at all. im still trying to come to terms with how i managed to get an active dose into my system. i dont think i washed my hands between handling infected racemes and eating dinner. effects began about 4-5 hours after dinner, and about 30 minutes after handlind and slicing up some Cerebella infected sclerotia to look at under the scope with bare hands.

i really should have known better. after i started feeling weird i did some quick googling and came across heaps of stuff like:

Also, you do realize how very dangerous it is to be working with ergot? I hope you didn't clean that ergot fungus off with your bare hands? ...

Do not touch ergot with your bare hands. Always wear gloves

i think im lucky paspali does not appear to contain much or any of the toxic stuff?

once i reassured myself that nothing too drastic was really happening to me physiologically it was quite manageable. woke up today after only a few hours sleep feeling good, definately afterglow-esque.

the cardio effects were probably the only thing that was slightly worrying, although im not sure how much of that was brought on by realising i may have seriously fucked up! really strong thumping heartbeat and a couple of instances this morning of a weird heaviness in the chest, perhaps very mild palpitations?

It's pretty remarkable. Is it tempting to try (for want of a better word) it again?

Did you measure your heart rate at all? What did you have for dinner (like composition of the food)?

And yeah, I'm glad you are okay. I'd be mighty careful if you're going to continue to experiment.

I got a question, Why the fuck does your scanner have a UV lamp in it?:blink:

That is very cool. I want to say things like LC and imagine that and uv photo of that n stuff, but I won't :P

So so so interesting. That's so very cool.

Muchos respectos for this thread.

I got a question, Why the fuck does your scanner have a UV lamp in it?:blink:

:lol:

It's pretty remarkable. Is it tempting to try (for want of a better word) it again?

it would be great to be able to replicate the experience, but don't think i will to tell you the truth. just don't have the nerves to mess around with such things..

Did you measure your heart rate at all? What did you have for dinner (like composition of the food)?And yeah, I'm glad you are okay. I'd be mighty careful if you're going to continue to experiment.

i estimated around 180, resting. dinner was composed of a fish burger and some chips smothered in naga morich chilli sauce, about 5 beers. (on a bit of a health kick ya know)

I got a question, Why the fuck does your scanner have a UV lamp in it?:blink:That is very cool. I want to say things like LC and imagine that and uv photo of that n stuff, but I won't :P

fucked if i know! i hear ya, love to see photos of glowing shit.

so, theres heaps of scerotia around here if anyone wants a reference sample for microscopy, pm me ya address.

Very nice find!

As you might have read, it contains ergine(LSA) and also lysergic acid hydroxy ethylamine (LSH, google it!), I don't know if it is missing in sclerotia from Autralia as mentioned below, but I have read that it is very likely to decompose to LSA when it is extracted to be analyzed with GC/MS.

Interesting to see that you did notice psychoactive effects just from handling them. I have picked lots of Claviceps purpurea and never noticed anything, the amount of alkaloids is to low. But if you got something there and that wasn't placebo, then it's VERY potent and VERY interesting.

I hope you will do an oral bioassay sometime and report the results here.

C. paspali submerged cultures have ergine, isoergine and lysergic acid N-1-hydroxyethylamide (Arcamone et al., 1960) while sclerotia from Australia contain up to 0.005% alkaloids composed of ergine and ergonovine along with chanoclavine and two unidentified ergoline alkaloids (Groger et al., 1961). Elymoclavine (Kobel et al., 1964) and agroclavine (Brar et al., 1968) have also been recorded. http://www.tacethno.com/info/claviceps/ergotalkfungi.txt

BTW, may I please have your permission to use your photos in the Wiki at magiskamolekyler.org? http://wiki.magiskamolekyler.org/Claviceps_paspali

Obviously it aint paspali, but an interesting find up in the Vic high country last week. what looks like C. purpurea on Phalaris.

post-251-0-64302400-1329633503_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice one! You've got keen eyes man. How do you ID them to species? What resources are you using?

yes I suppose the eye gets keen after a while of examining most grass heads I walk past.. I actually spotted this one out the window of a car!

tripsis the 'purpurea' I have not properly examined, I'm hoping there are some conidia stuck on the outside of the sclerotia. But I have looked up all other species recorded in Australia and nothing else matches sclerotia-wise. (edit- ok i had a look and the sclerotia is covered in conidia, ellipsoid-oblong , 7.5-9.1 x 3.8-4.3, looks spot on for purpurea on phalaris arundinacea)

The ID for paspali was based on conidia size and sclerotia morphology. I tried to find some germinating sclerotia to examine ascospores but no dice..

as for resources, this book is sweet and you can browse relevant pages with googlebooks

Clavicipitalean fungi: evolutionary biology, chemistry, biocontrol, and cultural impacts

and a heap of journal articles

for paspali

H. B. Brown (1916) Life History and Poisonous Properties of Claviceps paspali; Journal of Agricultural Research ,vol. 7(9), pgs 401-405.

Alderman SC, Halse RR, White J F (2004) A reevaluation of the host range and geographical distribution of Claviceps species in the United States. Plant Disease 88: 63-81,

A.R. Loveless (1964). Use of the honeydew state in the identification of ergot species.

Claviceps phalaridis in Australia: biology, pathology and taxonomy with a description of the new genus Cepsiclava (Hypocreales,Clavicipitaceae)

for purpurea some of the above and also

http://www.erowid.or...ntification.pdf

Edited by ferret

interestingly, right next to the Phalaris was a heap of honeydew covered Paspalum

post-251-0-38342400-1329886778_thumb.jpg

accidently threw the sample I collected out, I had assumed it would be C. paspali again until I found this today

H Kobel, K Stopp (1967). First discovery of a wild form of Claviceps purpurea on Paspalum. Naturwissenschaften 04/1967; 54(6):145-6.

Thanks for the references ferret.