The Corroboree
Sola

Viable Coffeea arabica seeds wanted

Hello all,

I've been able to find viable coffee seeds that would have to be imported into Australia and have found a nursery in Australia that can supply reasonably priced seedlings but I would prefer to grow my own from seeds.

I'm always more interested in purchasing Australian products in preference to overseas equivelants. If people are aware of somewhere in Australia that I can source fresh, viable coffee seeds I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Sola :)

there you go..

http://www.beautanicals.com.au/coffee.html

seedlings still avail if you hurry...LOL

i just noticed they are soldout of seeds..if you really want seed instead of germinated seedlings(which they have avail) pm me i got some seeds from that vendor earlier in the year that i never planted,so they should be viable! that i will part with you really wanna grow from seed can take 6 months to germinate so id go with the seedlings they have avail..

Edited by applesnail

Thanks applesnail,

I really was just looking for good genetic diversity so if they're propagated from seeds that should be alright.

Although a bit more expensive at least I wouldn't have to wait for germination.

Cheers

Sola

At what stage are the seeds ready to harvest?

You can have some seed from my plants if you like, but not sure if they're ready. Still green, but full size, however I just bit one open and don't think they're ready yet, but not really sure what to look for.

As the seed seems to stay on the plant for ages, there may be older, ready, seed still on the plants at my old place. Should be able to check in a few weeks when I'm down that way again, if someone can tell me what I'm looking for...

The first is Bunnings stock, seed grown, the second (older) plants I mentioned were from Tripitaka, not sure where he got them from. Also seed grown as I recall.

Well, as far as I know they turn red when they're ready to be picked and fully ripe.

This is the stage I think would be best for germination but I haven't got a mature plant yet so really can't be sure.

I know commercial pickers wait til the seed goes red but I'm assuming that's for maximum weight but that should also correlate with fully developed seeds I'm thinking.

I would love some seeds when they're ready and you can get to them.

Thanks

I dont know to much about them, the seeds i got just look like coffee beans id brew for a cuppa but im guessing these havnt been roasted or treated as there what i purchased as seeds to grow..LOL..

I never tried to grow them as i had a small plant growing but it died from perhaps a mixture of cold weather and crappy claylike compact soil i used, the stem is still there, so who knows it may come back in spring with new leaves,im not sure never really researched this plant, i know it grows great on the tablelands in cairns, this where the commercial coffee growers are and my climate is a very distant difference from tropical...anyway i sent you a PM sola, you can have the seeds for free as there just sitting in a baggy in my cubboard doing nothing,would always rather see someone put them to use!

Edited by applesnail

How many are you after? You're not planning on starting a plantation are you?

I can send you 5 or so ripe red coffee berries (2 seeds in each) if that's enough...

I've got plenty more that have gone beyond that stage and are now looking weathered and black - still on the tree - I'm sure they'd still be viable cause that's how nature does it right? ;)

Anyways PM if you want some...

EDIT: edit for random un-googled fact of the day - I once heard from a Balinese coffee grower that Coffee Arabica is best to grow if you live high above sea level, and if not grow Robusta... don't know whether that statement has any validity elsewhere but they sure know they're coffee in Bali!

Edited by krazykungfu

Yeah I'm definitely interested, not after a plantation though. Just want to try my luck at growing some in this area.

We're definitely in arabica territory, long way above sea-level. The only foreseeable problem here is frost when they're young I think.

And providing sufficient water during really dry spells of course. Bit of trial and error I suspect to find the right micro-climate.

Really appreciate the seeds, thanks.