The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Ayahuasca vine may prevent alzheimers

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110526131244.htm

Naturally Occurring Plant Alkaloids Could Slow Down Alzheimer's Disease, Study Suggests

ScienceDaily (May 26, 2011) — A family of naturally occurring plant compounds could help prevent or delay memory loss associated with Alzheimer's disease, according to a new study by the Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen).

Beta-carboline alkaloids could potentially be used in therapeutic drugs to stop, or at least slow down, the progressively debilitating effects of Alzheimer's, according to the study published recently in the scientific journal Public Library of Science (PLoS) One.

One of these alkaloids, called harmine, inhibits a protein known as DYRK1A, which has been implicated by this and other studies in the formation tau phosphorylation. This process dismantles the connections between brain cells, or neurons, and has been linked in past TGen studies to Alzheimer's disease.

Tau is a protein critical to the formation of the microtubule bridges in neurons. These bridges support the synaptic connections that, like computer circuits, allow brain cells to communicate with each other.

"Pharmacological inhibition of DYRK1A through the use of beta-carboline alkaloids may provide an opportunity to intervene therapeutically to alter the onset or progression of tau pathology in Alzheimer's disease," said Dr. Travis Dunckley, Head of TGen's Neurodegenerative Research Unit, and the study's senior author.

Beta-carboline alkaloids are found in a number of medicinal plants. They have antioxidant properties, and have been shown to protect brain cells from excessive stimulation of neurotransmitters. "(They) are natural occurring compounds in some plant species that affect multiple central nervous system targets," the study said.

Under normal circumstances, proteins regulate tau by adding phosphates. This process of tau phosphorylation enables connections between brain cells to unbind and bind again, allowing neurons to connect and reconnect with other brain cells. However, this process can go awry, allowing the formation of neurofibrillary tangles, one of the signature indicators of Alzheimer's.

In this study, laboratory tests showed that harmine, and several other beta-carboline alkaloids, "potently reduced'' the expression of three forms of phosphorylated tau, and inhibited the ability of DYRK1A to phosphorylate tau protein at multiple genetic sites associated with tau pathology.

"These results suggest that this class of compounds warrant further investigation as candidate tau-based therapeutics to alter the onset or progression of tau dysfunction and pathology in Alzheimer's disease," Dr. Dunckley said.

The Arizona Alzheimer's Consortium, the National Institute on Aging, and the Louis Charitable Trust funded the study. The Consortium is funded in part by the Arizona Legislature through the Arizona Department of Health Services, which supported a portion of the study. Members of the Consortium also participated in the study. MediProPharma Inc. supported portions of the study.

Thats awesome.

Thanks T. for posting that.

cheers, Obtuse.

good read, thanks. it has also helped with things like parkinsons disease. i read a bit about it and various chems that have helped out a lot in the making of parkinsos recently. i found it lovely that a plant we ar growing was able to make my father in law still be able to speak with us.

kada, what sort of dosage was beneficial for parkinsons?

what's the mechanisms? still based on dopamine or is serotonin involved?

sorry, didnt type that too well. It wasnt the raw vine, it was chemicals foudn in the vine. yes, dopamine and related meds. his meds are all through the doc, very much separated from any sort of raw plant or shaman. I was more referring to the research done on this, and other, plants that have helped so much in the parkinsons front, and your link on alz'a. there is a trend forming with these compounds and brain issues.

I do wonder though, how something like caapi in its own brew would affect people that take drugs derived from such a plant, or the chems foudn in it. I have not been able to talk him into to doing anything of the sort, fairly conservative guy. But i constantly wonder about what would happen like shaking, speech etc differences...

Sorry to butt in but I assume these abstracts are relevant to your question, T:

Banisteriopsis caapi, a unique combination of MAO inhibitory and antioxidative constituents for the activities relevant to neurodegenerative disorders and Parkinson's disease

Parkinson's disease is a neurological disorder mostly effecting the elder population of the world. Currently there is no definitive treatment or cure for this disease. Therefore, in this study the composition and constituents of the aqueous extract of Banisteriopsis caapi for monoamine oxidases (MAO) inhibitory and antioxidant activities were assessed, which are relevant to the prevention of neurological disorders, including Parkinsonism. The aqueous extract of Banisteriopsis caapi stems was standardized and then fractionated using reversed-phase (RP) chromatography. Pure compounds were isolated either by reversed-phase (RP) chromatography or centrifugal preparative TLC, using a Chromatotron ® . Structure elucidation was carried out by 1D and 2D NMR, Mass, IR and Circular Dichroism spectroscopy and chemical derivatization. Chemical profiling of the extract was carried out with RP-HPLC. The inhibitory activity of MAO-A, MAO-B, acetylcholinesterase, butyrylcholinesterase and catechol- O -methyl transferase enzymes, as well as antioxidant and cytotoxic activities of both Banisteriopsis caapi extract and isolated compounds was evaluated. An examination of the aqueous extracts of Banisteriopsis caapi cultivar Da Vine yielded two new alkaloidal glycosides, named banistenoside A ( 1 ) and banistenoside B ( 2 ), containing "azepino[1,2-a]tetrahydro- β -carboline" unique carbon framework. One additional new natural tetrahydronorharmine ( 4 ), four known β -carbolines harmol ( 3 ), tetrahydroharmine ( 5 ), harmaline ( 6 ) and harmine ( 7 ), two known proanthocyanidines (−)-epicatechin ( 8 ) and (−)-procyanidin B2 ( 9 ), and a new disaccharide β - d -fructofuranosyl-(2 → 5)-fructopyranose ( 14 ) together with known sacharose ( 15 ) and β - d -glucose ( 16 ) were also isolated. In addition, the acetates of 1 , 2 , 8 , 9 , 14 and 15 (compounds 10 13 , 17 , 18 ) were also prepared. Harmaline ( 6 ) and harmine ( 7 ) showed potent in vitro inhibitory activity against recombinant human brain monoamine oxidase (MAO)-A and -B enzymes (IC 50 2.5 and 2.0 nM, and 25 and 20 μM, respectively), and (−)-epicatechin ( 8 ) and (−)-procyanidin B2 ( 9 ) showed potent antioxidant and moderate MAO-B inhibitory activities (IC 50 < 0.13 and 0.57 μg/mL, and 65 and 35 μM). HPLC analysis revealed that most of the dominant chemical and bioactive markers ( 1 , 2 , 5 , 7 9 ) were present in high concentrations in dried bark of large branch. Analysis of regular/commercial Banisteriopsis caapi dried stems showed a similar qualitative HPLC pattern, but relatively low content of dominant markers 1 , 2 , 7 , and 9 , which led to decreased MAO inhibitory and antioxidant potency. Collectively, these results give additional basis to the existing claim of Banisteriopsis caapi stem extract for the treatment of Parkinsonism, including other neurodegenerative disorders.

Composition, standardization and chemical profiling of Banisteriopsis caapi, a plant for the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders relevant to Parkinson's disease

Banisteriopsis caapi , a woody vine from the Amazonian basin, is popularly known as an ingredient of a sacred drink ayahuasca, widely used throughout the Amazon as a medicinal tea for healing and spiritual exploration. The usefulness of Banisteriopsis caapi has been established for alleviating symptoms of neurological disorders including Parkinson's disease. Primary objective of this study was to develop the process for preparing standardized extracts of Banisteriopsis caapi to achieve high potency for inhibition of human monoamine oxidases (MAO) and antioxidant properties. The aqueous extracts prepared from different parts of the plant collected from different geographical locations and seasons were analyzed by HPLC for principal bioactive markers. The extracts were simultaneously tested in vitro for inhibition of human MAOs and antioxidant activity for analysis of correlation between phytochemical composition of the extracts and bioactivities. Reversed-phase HPLC with photodiode array detection was employed to profile the alkaloidal and non-alkaloidal components of the aqueous extract of Banisteriopsis caapi . The Banisteriopsis caapi extracts and standardized compositions were tested in vitro for inhibition of recombinant preparations of human MAO-A and MAO-B. In vitro cell-based assays were employed for evaluation of antioxidant property and mammalian cell cytotoxicity of these preparations. Among the different aerial parts, leaves, stems/large branches and stem bark of Banisteriopsis caapi , HPLC analysis revealed that most of the dominant chemical and bioactive markers (1, 2, 5, 79) were present in high concentrations in dried bark of large branch. A library of HPLC chromatograms has also been generated as a tool for fingerprinting and authentication of the studied Banisteriopsis caapi species. The correlation between potency of MAO inhibition and antioxidant activity with the content of the main active constituents of the aqueous Banisteriopsis caapi extracts and standardized compositions was established. Phytochemical analysis of regular/commercial Banisteriopsis caapi dried stems, obtained from different sources, showed a similar qualitative HPLC profile, but relatively low content of dominant markers 1, 2, 7, and 9, which led to decreased MAO inhibitory and antioxidant potency compared to Banisteriopsis caapi Da Vine. The ethnopharmacological use of bark of matured stem/large branch of Banisteriopsis caapi as well as whole matured stem is supported by the results obtained in this investigation. Among various constituents of Banisteriopsis caapi , harmine (7), harmaline (6) and tetrahydroharmine (5) are responsible for MAO-A inhibition, while two major proanthocyanidines, epicatechin (8) and procyanidine B2 (9) produce antioxidant effects. The compounds 19 can serve as reliable markers for identification and standardization of Banisteriopsis caapi aerial parts, collected in different seasons and/or from different geographical regions.

Edited by Alchemica

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Sorry to butt in but I assume these abstracts are relevant to your question, T:

:wub:

I just wanted to mention that I see a great benefit in caapi as a health herb. Nothing beats caapi and tryptophan combination for depression, but even by itself caapi just brightens the day. Hofmann used to say that about tiny doses of LSD too, but I want to make the distinction that you don't actually know you're on caapi. The effect is subtle, gentle and lasts well beyond the dose. This indicates to me that it causes beneficial changes in the neurochemistry that remain well after the drug is excreted. It is pretty much impossible to have a bad day after having 1/4 - 1/2 g of caapi, but there are no visual trails, no preception changes, no ups or downs, no physical changes like HR or BP. It's more like when you've had some pleasant news the thought of which keeps you content all day. The happiness feels, ie IS real.

So, as a frequent caapi nibbler I am really happy to read about the other beneficial effects of this herb and I hope it encourages others to look at it more closely. The fact that many other harmine/harmaline containing plants are important medicinals [without psychoactive use] indicates that this is not really news, but ancient wisdom.

• Like 1

Well I'll definately be looking into this more that's for sure

gonna have to get some caapi seed or plants I think

Some great info here guys thanks very much for posting

• Like 1

nice bump ^ very interesting reading

Anyone else find it ironic that the protective chemical is called HARMine?

Seriously though, this is really inspiring research. Having seen a few family members go through alzheimers more really should be done to follow this avenue. I just wonder if when we're all old will the ayahuasca vine be the equivalent to the geranium of todays oldies scene?