The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ferret

blueing Inocybe & Pluteus in Tasmania

I remember rev talking about a native bluing inocybe years ago, just now I came across these couple of references here hereand here which sound like they could be interesting..

Inocybe (unnamed sp GM Gates) blue-green base to stipe

Pluteus (unnamed sp GM Gates) grey or brown with blueing stipe

sooo any tassie members down near the Warra?

Dude!

are you setting the challenge. i might have to take that one up.

its virtually my back yard.

not quite, but close enough.

i have read quite a bit about this project, and in the past have done a bit on recon in that area. not at the warra site, but nearby.

so very interesting.

Cheers, Obtuse.

I been meaning to start up a thread on Tassies bluing pluteus but you beat me to it Ferret. :)

Aberdeen on Queensland fungi mentions a Pluteus species resembling P.salicinus, another active Pluteus species.

Now for some additional data to help the hunters and those up for a challenge. :)

The most useful paper I have found on Tassies bluing Pluteus is this one Here

What can be gleaned from this paper is that it grows most prominantly in what is termed Old Growth Forrest. In this paper this is more a reference to fire history than other definitions of that term. The habitat is more fully characterised as moist lowland rainforest where the plant species Atherosperma moschatum and Nothofagus cunninghamii predominate. This type of habitat would tend to more frequently occur in valleys and basins.

This pluteus is a woodlover fruiting on fallen logs and was recorded throughout the whole period from Feburary to June inclusive. The plot size for this study was quite small so someone not so restricted may do much better.

Good luck and we hope to hear of some finds soon.

Edited by Mycot

awesome! although id be happy with a good look at that native psilocybe from down in Mount Wellington Nat Park.

And can one of you tassie lads send me a slab of cascade draught - shits all over premium but they dont sell it in Vic

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

never heard of cascade draught, they musn't sell it in SA either. when do they sell the harvest ale that's what I wanna know

Wish to further note that the bluing Pluteus doesn't seem a rare species but appears to be relatively common. Over the course of 30 fortnightly visits over a 14 month period there were 26 occurances in the "Old Growth Forest" plot with a further 6 occurrances made in the other 3 plots. Approximately half these visits would have been made during the pluteus fruiting season. Plot sizes were only 50x50 metres.

Tassie hunters ought to get cracking if they are to find this species this year, only one and a half months left in the season.

Edited by Mycot

that would be cool to extend Australia's list of known psilocybic mushroom by a couple new genus's. people in Tassie are so lucky - libs, subs, couple native psilocybes, plus possibly an active pluteus and inocybe. truly the best place active mushies in aus

Dude!

are you setting the challenge. i might have to take that one up.

its virtually my back yard.

not quite, but close enough.

aha i was hoping that was your neck of the woods. pressure's on buddy!

if you find anything cool could i request a dried sample? my microscopy technique is getting up to scratch now..

ZP whats the story of the mt wellington psilocybe? lignicolous?

and good work finding that Gates thesis Mycot, that narrows it down a shitload! hopefully obtuse has taken the week off work and is out in the field as we speak

:wink:

aha i was hoping that was your neck of the woods. pressure's on buddy!

if you find anything cool could i request a dried sample? my microscopy technique is getting up to scratch now..

ZP whats the story of the mt wellington psilocybe? lignicolous?

and good work finding that Gates thesis Mycot, that narrows it down a shitload! hopefully obtuse has taken the week off work and is out in the field as we speak

:wink:

lol

sure no probs. but please dont expect anything from me for at least another month. no chance of me taking time off, got exams in the pending future, two weeks in fact.

That Gates paper is a great read, the work she has done is amazing, not just the thesis but other papers as well.

The wellington psilocybe: i have found very odd psilocybes there, but at the back of the mountain, so im not sure which one you are referring to at the front of the mountain. The ones i have found are lignicolous, have chocolate to black caps, with very twisted stems, and very warped caps. did you mean Psilocybe fascicularis?

anyway, all good. will get back to you about these.

Cheers, Obtuse.

Giving this thread a bump as I would really like to see this species this year rather than having to wait till Febuary next year. :o

And no, I am not getting a plane ticket. Not yet anyway. :P

Only one month left to find this this species this year.

Edited by Mycot

Hi guys

I am hopimg at this point to make the time to go and have a look.

But yes unfortunately the best part of the season is over, so hopefully there will still be some around when i get there.

otherwise i will plan a few trips there early next year, when there will be better opportunities to go look.

Sorry about that, been a hectic year this year.

Cheers, Obtuse.

No worries Obtuse, as far as I know you can't be the only Tasmanian shroomer here. :P

still worth a shot if you find time, but there will always be next season! if ya don't end up getting out this year ill definately think about cruising over the strait for a hunt..

I agee with ferret that it's well worth a shot.

We have being able to cover more territory and being able to visit more frequently on our side. :wink:

definitely worth it.

and easy enough to do once i have current prorities out of the way.

if at any point you do come down get in touch, we can team up and go look together.

cheers, Obtuse.

Good luck if you manage to get out and have a look this year obtuse.

Giving this thread a bump especially for the tassie hunters.. We got three months of season left to pick up some aussie bluing pluteuses, species unknown. Info given throughout this thread should make locating the species considerably easier.

Hi all,

I went to warra, and found it was gated. While i knew it was a forestry reaserch site, i didnt realised it was locked to the public. And didnt feel like hiking in.

The research done there is multi disciplinry, so related to forestry, but apparently there are insect and zoological, and as it turns out forest decomposition projects going on. The fungi project was amongst these.

I would be keen to participate in a follow up project, or somethign along those lines, in the future so im not in the mood to screw with forestry.

But it should be easy enough to find comparable sites in the surrounding area, and other places in southern tas.

Im going to have to leave it up to others this winter as im very busy with my work. but perhaps an opportunity may arise in july to have a look around.

Cheers, Ob.

While i knew it was a forestry reaserch site, i didnt realised it was locked to the public. And didnt feel like hiking in.

Hey Ob, have you tried asking for the key at the Geeveston FT office? My experience has always been they are happy to supply a key for you to get there... Unless there's a good reason not to, it is after all public land. I just the other day got an area key to access part of the southern forests, and I jut had to pay a $100 deposit, fully refundable on return of the key.

I you're interested in a research trip to the Styx valley sometime, drop me a PM. I'd b very interested to go get high quality photographs of them, and if they grow in Warra, chances are good they grow in the Styx. My experience in the Huon and Picton valleys is that they're not very biodiverse when it comes to fungi, though I havent been to Warra.

Some stuff from an earlier post here may make locating this species easier. Good luck to the Tassie hunters. If cultivation and identification efforts are contemplated then some dried fruitbodies in addition to sporeprints ought to be preserved.

What can be gleaned from this paper is that it grows most prominantly in what is termed Old Growth Forrest. In this paper this is more a reference to fire history than other definitions of that term. The habitat is more fully characterised as moist lowland rainforest where the plant species Atherosperma moschatum and Nothofagus cunninghamii predominate. This type of habitat would tend to more frequently occur in valleys and basins.

Edited by Mycot

Timely bump Mycot, tis the season. from what I have gathered Pluteus appear to have a certain affinity to Fagus overseas so I would be inclined to look for fallen Nothofagus wood.. this link may help finding appropriate hunting grounds?

http://biocache.ala....ania%22#mapView

Myrtle coverage is much greater that that Ferret. WIll keep my eyes open in the northern and central forests, in general though

the altitudes are higher than the warra site.

I'm sure there are more than those 425 herbarium collections in the state, tthought it may be a good headsup on some readily available data for peeps who may not not where to start looking.. not like I'm sayin you tassies don't know how to find a myrtle beech or nufffen!

Lol ferret, have come across a blueing Pluteus (yet..). Wasn't implying locals couldn't find em, just there lot of myrtle coverage

Looking at the Warra site work, I have a similar situation to Tas75 with the old stands just not developing such fugal biodiversity.

Have only found I believe to be P.cervinus , working from a rudimentary key. (W.F.T Eygelshiem "Tasmanian Mushrooms and Toadstools" - Limited print ).

Warra may be the hotspot? But will be keeping eyes open :) , I walk in myrtle forest daily.

Warra may be the hotspot? But will be keeping eyes open :) , I walk in myrtle forest daily.

Waterboy,

I think Warra is diverse because it has a complicated fire history. Patches of it have not been burnt post-European colonisation, patches were burnt in 1898, others in 1934, others in 1967, and others different combinations of those fires. This gives a patchwork of vegetation types and so different coverages of coarse woody debris that the fungi feed on.

But I'd be extremely surprised if that Pluteus occurs only in Warra. Broadly speaking other higher altitude alternatives are the Weld valley, the Styx valley and the Florentine valley.

Myrtles are not exactly hard to find. :wink:

T