The Corroboree
DuG

Hop rhizomes

I've just pulled out some 3 year old hop rhizomes. One very big goldings and one smaller piece, (only about a meter), And big coloumbus. I harvested around 1 1/2 shopping bags of hops off each bine only a month or so ago. Asking $35 for the big golding, $30 for the coloumbus and $10 for the small goldings.

I can post photos if anyone is interested.

I'd definitely be interested in gettime some hops going.

PM'd details

I can post photos if anyone is interested.

Hey DuG, i´d love to see some if it isnt too much of a hassle. Just out of curiosity as im way too far away anyway....i´ve just never seen hops rhizomes. bye Eg

Just for you E.G. The two big ones are more like trunks than rhizomes. they have fat roots that are full of starchy goodness, (don't taste of anything though).

post-850-0-77600200-1304814673_thumb.jpg

big goldings

post-850-0-57532300-1304814691_thumb.jpg

little goldings, you can see the shoots near the roots. You can plant a very small section,(10cm), and still get a plant. mind you bigger the cutting the bigger the plant and more hops you'll get.

post-850-0-12829900-1304814707_thumb.jpg

Coloumbus

• Like 2

DuG, sorry to go off topic. I have a hallertau vine that just died back. I don't know whether I should dig the rhizome up and put it in the fridge or leave it in the pot. It's getting close to zero here at night and will likely get bellow zero soon. Should be cold enough, just not sure if staying in the pot will encourage rot or anything. Any advice?

a mate of mine has a vine (cascade?), in the first year of planting it didn't do much, which is supposed to be normal. The second year he got quite a few flowers out of it, but the third year, that is the season just finished, yeilded almost no cones. That's from being under soil for three years, so you might be onto something about digging it up in between seasons.

ballzac, the colder over winter the better, well maybe if it get down to -20'c then you might have a problem. hops like cold winters and hot summers. The derwent valley where they grow them down here gets very heavy frosts during the winter and over the summer its hot and dry. They produce pretty much ALL of australias hops. oh and the bines die back every year. cut the stems off at or above ground, if there are some shoots cut just above them.

psylo. thats very odd 3rd year it should be producing bags loads of flowers. the ones for sale here produced about 2 shopping bags full season past. It won't do much harm to dig them up to have a look at them to see if there is no rot. if your mates area doesn't get too cold put them in the fridge over winter.

Dug

I was talking to a mate over the weekend and they thought you needed a licence to grow hops?

Do you really? I didn't think you did but thought I'd better ask.

Licence to grow hops.... never heard of that before.

Good, I thought this guy was talking out his arse.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

edited. Not allowed the planting room.

Edited by punkin

Good, I thought this guy was talking out his arse.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Perhaps he was thinking of the import of hops seed which does require an import permit.