The Corroboree
Sola

Coleus blumei

awesome and colourful, thanks for sharing!

you seem to have collected some of the more fancy and coloured ones. the last one is nice too.

• Like 1

Hi mutant! Thanks mate. Yes I am always looking for new cuttings which are different or interesting! The last one (green leaves purple stems) is incredible looking. It's growth pattern and leaves remind me of a 'old school' description coleus, rather than the newly hybridised colour types. It's one I will add into the end of season experiments also

D00d

my coleus hoard:

• Like 3

IMG00171-20130119-14451.jpg

Mutants strain gets alot bigger than i have seen most coleus. Some really big leaves and plant upto maybe 5 feet high, about nipple height on me.

Hillbilly size hand for comparison

Edited by El presidente Hillbillios
  • Like 6

Thanks for the pic hillbilly! Big, lovely leaves right there!

I have been feeding my coleus via foliar spraying twice a week for the past fortnight. i have noticed a massive increase in leaf production and the overall quality of the leaves are improving (colour/thickness etc).

It's probably getting to that point in the season where we should discuss extraction and dosing teks. I was going to try my strains in three ways

1) acetone extraction on carrier herb - smoked

2) quid of 30 fresh leaves

3) dried cigerrettes - aiming for 2 joints in each session per strain

D00d

• Like 1

Sorry yes I should have mentioned. Well I generally heavily mulch with cow manure compost, maybe each 3rd water with seasol/fish emulsion and the foliar spray is canna rhizo I had laying around. I remembered it being magic stuff

try quid on 60 and even 120 leaves maybe?

some old reports indicate 120, I dont know if theyre true though...

yeah if you quid 120 leaves, please videotape and share your method... I can't seem to figure this one out lol

I have to say, Kong Coleus is one of the most colorfully beautiful plants I ever laid eyes on

Edited by Spine Collector

Soon as I typed and posted last night I thought of building it up to 100-120. The problem may be enough foliage but I will transplant them this week and give them a big organic boost to try and push even more growth.

I tried a tea with only a small amount of leaves that definitely seemed to have a mild effect, maybe brew up a whole crap load and see what happens.

Oh, the stem was still attached, so that might have helped, I don't know.

Edited by Roopey

Looking at my plants this evening I have more than enough to really experiment with my strain no. 5. I currently have 1000 leaves after some simple calculations.

Strain no2 sufferers a bit recently due to the heat and has shed so many unsalvagable leaves... Lucky I have 2 small rooted cuttings as backup

That would be ace HB. I would also be happy to video my (possible journey) for those to witness. Lets organise it for a delivery that would be mutually agreeable to the consumption, as to assure freshness. I'd also like to invite interested people from around the south Sydney and illawarra regions to join me in some experimentation.

HB let me look at my roster etc and get back to you via pm. I would be willing to pay express delivery to assure freshness. I am also seeking acetone for an extraction... If its available for sale via this forum please let me know, otherwise ill source off sceezebay.

D00d

I have 4 diff types and have found they're SO easy to get to root in a bottle of water. They throw rootlets in a day or 2!

Does anyone know of a "Native" or wild Coleus at all?

I found something that looks very much like it at Cedar Creek the other day (flowering) so I have a cutting, will post a pic to see if anyone recognizes it

Hmmm there are plenty of wild plants I've come across of mint family plants of which resemble visual qualities of coleus including flowers and green leaves etc but I doubt there is a wild coleus in Aust (assuming that's where you are?).

Hillbilly has kindly offered to deliver the material fresh to us, presuming there is an us and more people are willing to take part.

I think it would be fantastic and a huge contribution to have several members of this community joining to test a plant, and a long winded myth/argument within the ethnobotanical community in general!! Keeping in mind the producer of said strain believes the plant has psychoactive quality (happy to edit mutant if I have misconstrued anything mate).

I'd like to do it in a natural setting outdoors, with all participants abstaining from alcohol/weed/prescription drugs (besides a health taking basis) as to be as clear as possible with our interpretations of the plant. Hope this isn't too much to ask. I'm in Wollongong, but happy to do a middle way bush meet with Sydney folks, say around Sutherland?

D00d

distribution of Coleus blumei:
http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20m?kind=Coleus+blumei

Coleus is one of the few entheogens which taste and smell well and look impressive too.

Nice info:

http://www.entheology.org/edoto/anmviewer.asp?a=39

Daniel J. Siebert was in the area of the Mazatecs, and wrote that only one single Indian there maintained that coleus is psychoactive. All of the other Indians denied this. (Schuldes 1995, 78*)

But: the related Coleus forskohlii has countless pharmacological actions, also on the CNS, the most prominent is the cAMP raising effect of Forskolin.

Edited by mindperformer

Hey roops, was fresh foliage used? Also, can you elaborate on the effects?

Yes, the foliage was picked right from he plant and put into the the pot.

The effects were slightly similar to that of sally leaves, producing a mind altering "high" but no visuals or any OOB experience. Of course I only had a small amount in the brew.

I'm growing all the ones I could get my hands on, including mutants.

I would love to but unfortunately I am overseas and my trip has been extended to a couple of months instead of a couple of weeks, so I will not be back in OZ for a while. I can't wait to here how it goes.

• Like 1

My seedlings are cranking along! My strain 1 seedlings are all growing uniform but from mutants seedlings one has taken the crown and leaving the others behind. Kind of disappointing as I would have liked more than one phenotype but I think it'll be a special plant :)

Has anyone analysed coleus for sesquiterpenoids?