The Corroboree
Sola

Coleus blumei

first of all, I ment to use dry acetone to produce a complete dry powder extract so that there is no acetone left in the final product. I found trying to dry vodka extracts need to by done extremely quickly or the water may react with the product.

Also, acetone was my choice because the chemicals you speak of are in the same class as salvinorin, which is ridiculously soluble in acetone but insoluble in water and only a lil soluble in alcohol (compared to acetone)

Finally, adding water to a solvent will reduce the soluability of some chemicals. E.g. Salvinorin is significantly less soluble in very wet acetone then dry acetone.

Don't mind me, I'm just over thinking again :S

I will also have seeds available soon from a plant I consider active, they will be sent from aus so won't have delivery probs and should be ready in a month. I'll try and post a pic of this plant this evening..

EDIT. this isnt my plant as my girl cannot come over tonight with her cam, but this is the closest pic I could find to my plant.

a>

These seeds are ready and I am happy to send some out. I would prefer though that those who receive seeds are interested in growing, harvesting and distributing the herb/extract to further develop information regarding this plant.

did anybody sprout the seeds from mutant and if so any there any plants available yet, my seed were seized by customs and this thread kinda died.

I almost had my strain die, as I -again- did not norture the plants I was supposed to help over winter.

thankfully new plants have sprouted from seed in several pots, so the strain is preserved.

after a point and on, 3-4 sets of real leaves, they grow well and fast and stems become hard and fat.

thed00dabides, can you provide pics of your plant?

Edited by mutant

My offer still stands for those interested...

Don't get me wrong, but I get the feeling Coleus is a bit variable in it's content. Unless you have the non-cultivated strain (species form) that runs true to type, wouldn't cuttings be better? Not that I won't take you up on your generous offer of seeds anyway..

Yeh i will post pics over the weekend.

And Yeh I'm sure it could whitewind. These plants were self set and flowered seperatly. I've posted the characteristics in various other threads. I'll tell you what to select for when sowing seed when I get then out to you.

D00d

I should also note that after smelling/feeling each and every coleus plant over several bunnings and every other nursery, these were the only two plants that showed the particular traits and aromas that attracted me to them. The traits/extreme pepper/spice aroma are identical between the two plants.

Has anybody else witnessed this with their coleus? It may also be worthy to note, the stems of the plants the seeds came from had perfect square stems as thick as my thumb. One extremely tall and brilliant looking, the other very stocky, very leathery leaves and very very peppery aroma.

I have limited seeds, from each plant flowered at seperate times in a reasonably secure area from cross pollination.

D00d

fatty stems, that sounds like the 'correct' phenotype

erect and much fattier than the other various coloured strains, which mostly got a hanging or crawling habit.

for those with a good nose, smell is good indicator too, I guess.

I have three different varieties of coleus blumei growing currently. (although I think one of which may have been mislabelled)

I have a purple/green variety - more purple than green

A "pink green" variety - Although the "pink" seems to have darked up to purple as the plant has matured (it's fairly well shaded as opposed to the purple green which gets full sun for at least 6-10 hours

A yellow green variety which is struggling.

the pink and purple varieties have fairly uniform leaves, oval, whereas the yellow leaves are a lot more "spiky" I guess you could say.

If anyone would like some cuttings let me know, I've got a few pics in my gallery.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=6148

In regards to activity... Can't say I've done much personal research into it. They do look pretty alongside S.Guarantica :)

• Like 1

Is this the same type you have Safez? I'm actually looking for a cutting of one:

5042551778_f5bc0721fc_z.jpg

• Like 1

Im going to have to read this whole thread,

Cause a lovely friend gave me a beautiful present.

Look familiar Mutant ?

Thanks again H

post-337-0-61064700-1353652336_thumb.jpg

post-337-0-26485200-1353652339_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I am seeing a very similar appearance to my strain and also mutants, I will post a pic this w.e of my cuttings an mother plants (I have a few threads to update pics sorry)...

An yes I would look and select for very spicey leaves and BIG FAT square stems.

Some cultivation notes : may or may by be only applicable to the strain I am working with

let her dry out each week when mature. This will keep the red (theoried on various blogs/forums to be the most "active" strains) very bright and also the scent noticeable from a distance or brushed past. When they're keep constantly damp, the leaves loose colour and also scent.

Always clip flower buds or plant will almost completely stop vegetative growth. This season I successfully hacked back mother plants to a near stub and have some bangin re growth. Generally coleus are considered to be spent once they flower, I have proved this wrong...

Also look out for plants with a fur coating on the stems and all over the leaves. I have only ever seen it on two strains which I have, and never noticed it on other strains which don't pass my "sniff" test.

Also to clarify the scent, if you need to think about it, then it doesn't have it. Literally I rub and leaf and BAM, I get the biggest pepper spice scent, it's beautiful but the leaves are super super bitter from it!!

• Like 1

this is my Coleus I have a few but this one seems to fit the Doods check list best. I had a green and yellow that absolutely stunk but I lost it in the January flood.

This one is doing OK in a shaded corner garden bed had moderately hairy ( sort of velvety) leaf peppery smell bitter taste dark brown/ black square stem.

Depending on how much direct sun the colour will gfrom green and purple to green and pink. I'll start a few plants off, I just gave my mum a tray of cuttings spewing now lol

DSCF2001-22.jpg

and a bad photo of the stem

DSCF2002-17.jpg

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 1

Is this the same type you have Safez? I'm actually looking for a cutting of one:

a>

Oh wow, this is gorgeous. Yes that is how it looked when I got it. Unfortunately a lot of the current new growth is just purple and green and lacks that pink interior

colhawk yeah looks right dude ;)

Stillman I am not so sure.. the stems being purplish and all... its a creeping or errect var? cannot tell from the pic

it is an erect type just growing in a shitty spot, lol I'll take a few more cuttings and give them a better environment and get back to you. :wink:

here are my pictures as promised (sorry for the quality but had to downsize them to upload as my computer was freezing)

strain one :

post-9832-0-95880300-1353798465_thumb.jp

post-9832-0-36239100-1353798458_thumb.jp

here are its leaves both top and bottom side (notice the furry coating)

post-9832-0-22458200-1353798456_thumb.jp

post-9832-0-08883700-1353798451_thumb.jp

here are the cuttings i got off this plant before i hacked it right back

post-9832-0-86243700-1353798453_thumb.jp

(notice the intense colors on the mother plant which is grown in full sun compared to the cutting which only receive 3hrs morning sun. both grow at the same rate, which is quite slow compared to other coleus i see. this could be because they are potted or because i heavily tip them at the start of vegetative growth to the point each plant will have 15-20 growing tips whilst still being 4-6" tall. this is so I can have enough leaf material to trial aswell as cuttings to propagate)

strain two :

post-9832-0-35382900-1353798653_thumb.jp

post-9832-0-52532000-1353798645_thumb.jp

post-9832-0-79523700-1353798649_thumb.jp

people out there either have seeds from strain one or two (both flowered separately for no crossing) or seed that I allowed set when they were both flowering (one flower on each plant). Sorry i didnt label this seed very well and it ended up getting sent out a "coleus", no indication of strain. It will be interesting to see what people end up with from my seed. This season i will be breeding properly and not confusing or fucking up my labeling process hehehe (hopefully at the point of reaching breeding i have already ruled out or am close to determining its active qualities/effectiveness)

Another thing I'd like to throw into the "active" phenotypes/appearance of particular strains is the ability of the red to "bleed" through to the underside of the leaf. Could purely be a lack of chlorophyll or the lack of green pigment? If the red/pink varieties are the more "potent", then this is possibly a good indication also? I have noticed a few plants in nurseries have this trait not just my own, but they did lack the other growth habits ive spoken about.

D00d

edit - extra info

edit 2 - wanted to also add that my seed pods on both varieties also show the variegated growth color wise. Strain two's pods last season has beautiful 2mm red spots like a reverse lady beetle :blush:

mother 1  underleaf.jpeg

mother 1 cuttings.jpeg

mother 1 leaf.jpeg

mother 1 stem.jpeg

mother 1.jpeg

mother 2 leaf.jpeg

mother 2 underleaf.jpeg

mother 2.jpeg

mother 1  underleaf.jpeg

mother 1 cuttings.jpeg

mother 1 leaf.jpeg

mother 1 stem.jpeg

mother 1.jpeg

mother 2 leaf.jpeg

mother 2 underleaf.jpeg

mother 2.jpeg

Edited by thed00dabides
  • Like 1

I really like the direction this topic has taken. :)

My 'active' phenotype has less pointy leaf ends, and is quite chunky and thick in texture, mainly purple/red/green and has a very strong aroma. Very plectranthus like. About 40 leaves boiled down to a shot reminded me of abssynth crossed with about 12 sailvia d. leaves chewed.

thed00dabides , any better shots of strain 2??

Any new pics, d00d?

One of the ones I picked up from bunnings is going into flower.

Questions:

Self fertile?

If so, how do I harvest the seed?