The Corroboree
Sola

Coleus blumei

its funny how people say "I did This or that with a coleus" and nothing happened.

there are many ornamental strains of this plant. We dont even know if they're all coming from the same tallish "Coleus blumei"

anyways

My most latest runs were with your strain

• Like 1

mine flowering

• Like 1

My most latest runs were with your strain

nice to know.... I haven't tried the material for some time now...

I have had experiences with Coleus Spp.

The Blumei are definitally the most active but others are active aswell (and also in different ways). I am not particularly sensitive to substances but to Coleus I can definitely sense perception change.

Me and a friend smoked the fully purple Blumei (Without any green spots) and also the normal Blumei (with green and purple spots) and. After smoking the first fat joint, I realized how much my visual perception had changed and decided to roll another and the effect was very very good. I have also chewed the leaves as a quid and found mild psychoactive effects from even 1 or 2 leaves. I plan on taking this further.

• Like 2

Interesting mediator. The mystery behind this plant interests me. A few questions if you don't mind answering them.

Have you had much experiences with substances that are known to significantly impact visual perception? Just hoping to get a basic understanding of what you would deem perceptual changes and very good effects.

By the statement "effects were very very good"; what sort of effects are you referring to? Enhanced or altered colours, higher or lower quality of image, increased pattern recognition, appearance of geometric shapes, or noticeable movement of textures and/or "stationary" objects?

Do you have the plants you smoked the leaves from? From what I've read and the fact that not many people experience effects, the genetics of the particular strain you were working with are probably more significant than the colour.

Exciting to read you're experiencing good effects!

Edited by Justler
  • Like 2

defo feel something :3 really nicely too

bought 2 plants from local high street a couple of hours ago, took a cutting and made a quid from the lower leaves ,.. added about 7 more leaves from the main plants :) ... , chewed about 7 times before spitting out as disgusting ,... 

on reflection that wasn't really much ... and there's definite noticeables.. 

what a great find! 

• Like 2

On 11/2/2013 at 2:55 AM, bullit said:

mine flowering

if it flowers fully and sets seed , apparently it dies ?..

hold back / delay this by nipping off flowers is the advice I'm finding about on houseplant sites

• Like 2

On 11/10/2013 at 11:24 PM, theuserformallyknownasd00d said:

What medicinal effects?

antibacterial , apparently it fights candida too

• Like 1

Very good info Thunder, both on the experience report and the medicinal properties.

I am somewhat prone to candida, I might try a coleus cataplasm (and fat L) next time haha.

Can you please describe the effects you felt a little bit? Does it feel like Sally?

Cuttings root very easily and they seem to have more vigor than older plants, some of mine seem to be kind of stagnating and cuttings I took from them basically caught up with their parents in size.

Edited by MeanGreen
  • Like 1

...never really got anywhere with sally as a plant and when samped it was just a pleasant smoakl...

so can't really say , 

it's more like a beautiful dreamy feeling like a strong reefer after an abstination period but kinda different in a way it's just that that is the closest thing I can think of to describe it ..

was all done in 2 hours and felt like i had more happiness .. which is pretty impressive considering what the government just put my family through 

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
change life to govt - it's not life, it's cunts that have done it
  • Like 1

wouldnt have been able to operate heavy machinery though (unlike with a reefer) 

and no urgent pull to try it again today .. 

.. just figured that might've been useful additional info

• Like 1

extra thanks to meangreen and craycray B'cuz I saw coleus in their pics and wouldn't have totally looked over the ones I got from the local high street yesterday

so I wondered why I hadn't included pics on the thread for maybe type reference or something ? 

2017-06-21 13.06.12.jpg2017-06-21 13.06.29.jpg2017-06-21 13.06.48.jpg2017-06-21 13.07.14.jpg

found cool vids too

most popular plant since 1800s?

2017-06-21 13.06.12.jpg

2017-06-21 13.06.29.jpg

2017-06-21 13.06.48.jpg

2017-06-21 13.07.14.jpg

2017-06-21 13.06.12.jpg

2017-06-21 13.06.29.jpg

2017-06-21 13.06.48.jpg

2017-06-21 13.07.14.jpg

• Like 2

Just pick one you enjoy the looks of. The more I look into this plant the more I think its supposed traditional use is bogus, but it's cool plant nevertheless

"The curandero also had several horticultural specimens of Coleus spp. growing near his house. Wasson has reported that the Mazatecs believe Coleus to be a medicinal or hallucinogenic herb closely related to S. divinorum (Wasson, 1962). However, Don Alejandro said the plants were not medicinal and his daughter had bought them at the market because they were pretty."

http://www.sacredearth.com/ethnobotany/sacred/Sdivinorum.php

This seems to also fall in line with the fact that Coleus originates from SE Asia and was most likely introduced to south america for landscapibg purposes, centuries after use of Salvia divinorum started there. Coleus might even have been a novelty at the time Don Alejandro's daughter purchased the plants.

• Like 2

No idea, that's exactly what seems weird about the coleus trip reports online, their inconsistency.

It could be something like with phalaris where alkaloid levels vary greatly depending on the time of the day you harvest it. It could be that only new or old growth should be used, or any other environmental factor.

Or it could be placebo from the excitation of trying a new substance that comes from this crazy looking plant you read others had effects from online.

i wonder if its worth trying again at full moon like when nightshades are most potent according to literature 

and yeah i learned the level variation thing when researching the 'shades too  -apparently different at any given moment, even seconds later

I didn't know that, it's interesting, makes them even more unpredictable haha. I truly fear these plants, I wouldn't touch brugs or daturas with a 10 foot pole.Love looking at the flowers though.

I think we need a somewhat scientific methodology to get to the bottom of the coleus myth. Maybe a crude alcohol extract would help distinguish effects from placebo, it should work since it works on pretty much any active plant to a certain degree, no matter if the substance is an alkaloid or not.

I've also read somewhere that supposedly the more red on the leaves the more potent, but that's most likely bullshit. Still I've got some "Black Dragon" coleus seeds I'm gonna germinate, the reddest strain I could find, either way they look awesome so if it's bullshit I'm not even mad.

61S6Bbq25PL._AC_SL230_.jpg

And good catch Thunder, welcome to the SAB Foo Dog! :)

• Like 2

I love brugs suaveolans and arborea , plus datura metel and solanum dulcamera , also getting the hang of latua pubiflora

all as admixtures in a reefer :3 

still not too sure about brug sanguinea but erm just realised I'm kinda derailing thread lol ..

but yeah the above have been blessings to me so far 

the latua is a great replacement for brug in a combo with solanum ... using approx 3cm x1cm piece of leaf on the latua means even less is needed...

- usually double on the solanum leaf unless stems used , in which case much less, maybe a single line of stems tip to tip...

edit - i guess it must be said my limit is no more than 3grams of the above leafage (with the exception of latua) per month with a long abstination (-months, usually 3 at the least)

- i cant say the same for latua as i only just cracked how little one actually needs and no further experience to say it might be ok or not

flowers are probably too scary for me to try at all in any way .. well...,   defo wouldn't intake any flowers from the 'shades lol ...   same with the seeds so far ... 

anyhow coleus rerail ... 

i read the type i had was the one to look for blunt serations and the colour yellow in the centre, with black main colour and green "teeth"

... i read that the funkier types didn't  work at all and that the mainly green ones were the only other ones that worked for this particular report ... i would link but forgot where i read it ... maybe erowid or something linking from it ?

• Like 1

Yes, I think the one you're describing is the most common cultivar, my 3 bigger ones seem to be the same colours. I also have one that looks like it but has yellow instead of green.

I don't think the color or shape means much, the various colors were brought out by human selection but they all seem to be the same species, Plectranthus scutellaroides.

The Plectranthus genus has many species indeed but it looks like scutellaroides is by far the most cultivated and the only one with all those nice colors.

From the P. scutellaroides wikipedia page:

"Plectanthrus scutellarioides is an upright annual or short-lived perennial plant plant. It may be as much as 1 m (3 ft) tall, with well branched, more-or-less four-sided stems.[4] Shorter, more trailing forms have sometimes been described as separate species, under names such as Coleus pumilus[4] or Solenostemon pumilus,[5] but are all now considered part of the very variable P. scutellarioides.[4] The species is extremely variable in the colour and shape of the leaves. They are somewhat fleshy, varying in size from 1.5–10 cm (0.6–3.9 in) long by 1–6 cm (0.4–2.4 in) wide, generally ovate in shape, and borne on petioles (stalks) from 0.5–5 cm (0.2–2.0 in) long. The leaf margin is divided to a variable degree. Hairs are present on both sides of the leaf.[4]

The leaves of the wild species may be somewhat variegated,[4] but this has been developed to an extreme degree in cultivated varieties, whose leaves may include one or more shades of green, white, cream, yellow, pink, red, maroon and dark purple"

• Like 1

I'm sure I could whip you up a cutting to post at some point if you want a clone of it to play with...

I just stopped one cutting from flowering today , ....

i wondered what the spikey thing at the top was..

2017-07-04 13.57.11.jpg2017-07-04 13.55.48.jpg2017-07-04 13.57.01.jpg

2017-07-04 13.57.11.jpg

2017-07-04 13.55.48.jpg

2017-07-04 13.57.01.jpg

2017-07-04 13.57.11.jpg

2017-07-04 13.55.48.jpg

2017-07-04 13.57.01.jpg

• Like 2

Haha well done. And for sure, I could trade you a cutting of mine for one of yours if you want but I'm pretty sure we have the same strain, yours seem to get more sun than mine though 

large.IMG_20170704_214320-1612x1209.jpg.

I have another strain which basically looks the same as this one but with bright yellow instead of the green

• Like 2