The Corroboree
Marcel

Cheap pressure cooker

I remember when I first wanted to cultivate oyster mushrooms I couldn't find a cheapo pressure cooker anywhere. I ended up paying a good chunk for a second hand one. For those in the same boat, with limited funds, here's your answer: CLICK HERE

I reckon it might hold 3x quart jars. Sure, it might take you several hours to get all your jars done, but for $49, don't be such a whinger. :lol:

-M

It's all about All American pressure cookers, well, for myco work anyway.

Especially for a beginner I would try to get a pressure cooker that is at least rated at 15psi pressure especially if big bucks are involved. This is the standard pressure in which most mycology teks are written in and considerably simplifies things for the beginner. Yes I know that it is possible to sterilize at lower pressure by using longer sterilization times but calculating correctly how much longer is needed may be difficult. I know there is a mathematical formula for calculating this but have been unable to locate it recently.

I know there is a mathematical formula for calculating this but have been unable to locate it recently.

I was walking down the street the other day and in the front window of Target there was a 5.8L electric pressure cooker reduced down to $39.88 - so I promptly aquired it knowing nothing at all about mycology exepct for the fact that a pressure cooker is generally required (according to the wife I bought it to cook curries in a hurry ;) ....

The thing is it only cooks at between 40 - 70 kpa (6 - 10 psi) so getting that formula would be very handy indeed otherwise I really will only be cooking curries

There is a formula on the shroomery somewhere (for teks written for 15psi PCs add 30% extra time for a 10psi PC, I think), but I do the following with a 10psi PC:

- PF Tek-style jars or PP tupperware are fine after about an hour, 90 min if you've got a dirty mind (start timing once you've reached full pressure).

- Litre sized rye jars done according to RogerRabbit's tek are good to go after 1 hour and 45 minutes. I used to go 2 hours just for kicks, with no moisture issues.

In fact, most substrate prep teks can afford a little more time in the PC, except maybe WBS, which I've never used.

Amazon got a presto PC 16quarts for 79 bucks it add up to just under 100 USD with postage. just got mine 2 days ago (it's massive and cheap)

Amazon got a presto PC 16quarts for 79 bucks it add up to just under 100 USD with postage. just got mine 2 days ago (it's massive and cheap)

I have a presto

nice and big....that's what she said.

Edited by themushroombloke