The Corroboree
random

Toilet paper plants?

Bit of a strange question here...

I've been looking up toilet paper plants and so far can only find reference to Hibiscus heterophyllus? Does anyone have any info on Aussie plants that are suitable for use as toilet paper?

I've read that Arla bush is another alternative but not native to Australia so i'm specifically enquiring about Australian plants that can be used as toilet paper :blush: lol

Not that i'm about to swap my bog roll for a leaf anytime soon but i'm interested in growing such a plant, if indeed there are any Australian plants suitable for such! :lol:

thanks

I've used various leaves in a pinch, but none have been an especially good substitute for toilet paper. Some are obviously better than others. Soft grasses and ferns bunched up together are alright. Soft herbaceous leaves can be alright too, although some can act like irritants too. Obviously stiff leaves like those from Banksia and Eucalytpus species are no good. It's difficult to find the perfect leaf. Ideally you'd want a soft leaf with a little traction (i.e. not smooth and glossy), but often that comes with them having hairs, which can subsequently be irritating. I'm sure some of the more velvety hairs could be alright.

• Like 1

Paperbark of course. :lol:

paperbark-by-brewbooks-.jpg

• Like 1

Shit yeah, should have thought of that one Amaz!

Check out Plectranthus barbatus, aka 'Kikuyu toilet paper' in Kenya.

There are heaps of native Plectranthus species in Australia and a little bear told me that P. graveolens does a really good job and has a nice minty freshness about it.

also Brachyglottis repanda from NZ, aka Bushman's friend. There are a few species of Brachyglottis getting around Aussie gardens, but none are native as far as I know

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

@ amazonian ha I was gonna post that. My street is lined with them. I reckon they've got the required softness but I'd make sure to get a thickish bit as they don't hold together too well. don't want to be picking at remnants

Shit yeah indeed, tripsis! Haha!

Lotsa cool info, wow that was my fastest ever response to a thread started by me. I'm honoured, lol

cheers guys and i'll def check out barbatus, already got the P grav, will let ya's know! Lol!

Ideally you'd want a soft leaf with a little traction / I'm sure some of the more velvety hairs could be alright.

:lol:

Thanks for that lol'd til it made my face ache.

i was told that if you had a dog you didnt need to worry about toilet paper, is this true................im not sure mythbusters have done this episode yet but dog like smelling bums and eating poo so apparently if you go bush sometimes people get the dog to lick the poo from the bum area.............and the dogs saliva acts as a double agent by sterilizing the area with dog saliva. im sure its a softer kind of wipe than paperbark...............i dunno if this is true tho as i dont have a dog.:blush:

!

Edited by Magicdirt

A phone book was once a plant. You could rip pages out as need and crumple them up for a softer wipe.

i was told that if you had a dog you didnt need to worry about toilet paper, is this true................im not sure mythbusters have done this episode yet but dog like smelling bums and eating poo so apparently if you go bush sometimes people get the dog to lick the poo from the bum area.............and the dogs saliva acts as a double agent by sterilizing the area with dog saliva. im sure its a softer kind of wipe than paperbark...............i dunno if this is true tho as i dont have a dog.:blush:

The problem is when you start enjoying it too much.

:) Thanks PH, I did a search before I posted but must've been poorly worded as it didn't direct me there.

Great, more info! Will start my toilet paper plant collection soon. :lol:

I hope this thread doesnt set the mood of my day :P

wild tobacco (Solanum mauritianum) is a really common weed in lots of australia & is the best i've found yet.. really big leaves & so felty & absorbent.. i think it was commonly used in colonial times..

You could also try Callicoma serratifolia also known as a black wattle.But its not a wattle. Think it was also used to build early wattle & daub huts in the sydney area hence its common name.

Its known locally in the blue mtns as the toilet paper tree.

Its perfect, soft velvety leaves. Its got all the right attributes & def works...

@ Santiago

p.s, dog saliva is not sterile!!!

Although I accept your distasteful account of an alternative way of cleaning one's arse lol

*vows never to find out if it's effective or not !

@ Santiago

p.s, dog saliva is not sterile!!!

Although I accept your distasteful account of an alternative way of cleaning one's arse lol

*vows never to find out if it's effective or not !

they dont call him mans best friend for nothing, it must be a myth the sterile dog saliva cos knowing what dogs eat and lick prolly doesnt make the cleanest slobber.

to go down the socrates route.............what is normal, why is it that a dog licking you clean isnt normal, what your pre-concieved ideas of normal may be may not in fact be normal. think of the economic and enviromental change australia could make if we just used a toilet dog.

haha..........and by you vowing to never find out if its effective or not, you have already planted the seed of doubt in your mind which has no choice but to get curious and grow at some stage, in actual fact to find out if it effective or not. :innocent_n::wink:

Dog saliva is anti-bacterial (as is ours), but it is far from sterile (as is ours). :)

How do you know? :lol:

Well, while I haven't actually had a dog lick my asshole, I have had my asshole licked and I have been licked by a dog and am familiar with the particular texture of the canine tongue.

I used my imagination.... and I imagined that it could be quite enjoyable.

• Like 2

Well, while I haven't actually had a dog lick my asshole, I have had my asshole licked and I have been licked by a dog and am familiar with the particular texture of the canine tongue.I used my imagination.... and I imagined that it could be quite enjoyable.

You my friend are a sick sick man :worship:

:devil:

&

I envy you

Edited by mac

I had a Jack Russell that I took camping. He would sneak off and come back with extra spots, ...... not only did he eat the crap, but rolled in it as well, to save some for later. He wasn't aloud in the tent after that.