The Corroboree
vual

IRC chat room.

There are peeps in chat most nights so you're bound to run into someone if you log in at bedtime :lol::

...............................THE CLASSIFIEDS.....................................................

WANTED.. Fresh meat for the lab, for interesting nightly conversations.

Amazonian rubs her hands together and grins like a mad scientist. MMMWWWAAAAhhaa

get a irc client, windows = Mirc , linux = Xchat.

Connect to the server (i forgot maybe austnet??)

and go /join #thelab

Edited by Amazonian

I may have to start using it, after the amount of time I took to figure out how to do it! :BANGHEAD2:

i cant get back in. i think im banned for life.

edit-i think i have to register? do have to end up paying money?

im not "permitted" to use the server.

that "darkone" dude banned me for good i think. what an asshole.

Edited by incognito

just to clear that up ^^^ it was set so only registered nicknames were allowed in, but that is no longer the case

come

chat :)

Alright, thought I'd give this a go. How the hell do you connect though?

Edit: Got it. Riveting in there!

Edited by tripsis

Can't help you there, but I'm in the chat at the moment I believe.

Really? I don't see you...

the other chatters come in at night time although sometimes me or dw are idling earlier in the afternoon.

you want to choose a random au server for austnet, and then type /join #thelab or when it prompts you to choose a room just type #thelab

Im getting "unable to resolve server" all day today. Any Ideas? I havent knowingly chagned any settings from last night when i could join the chat easy.

Finally :P

stuff has been going on at austnet, lots of people having problems and getting in by persistence

this is the way i've been getting in consistently today

while its trying to connect type this

/server 216.18.20.98

all that does is replace irc.austnet.org (or whatever) with the IP, so bypbassing the the DNS step to gather the IP

it's very simple, but if that doesn't work (and it didn't for me), you may need to try using other ports. i think the default is 6667, i got in using 6666 personally.

the way to try these is

/server 216.18.20.98:xxxx where xxxx is 6666 or whatever port you are trying to use

that is what worked for me. it will probably be back to normal soon.

Im getting "unable to resolve server" all day today. Any Ideas? I havent knowingly chagned any settings from last night when i could join the chat easy.

Yeah sapito, its not you, it has been playing up all day.. I couldn't get on for a while there either. Someone suggested to turn the computer off, and then back on again. I just kept trying, until i got a connection. IRC does other random things to, just part of it. Yeah, so don't give up. Hope to see you there next time hey :)

Very strange irc channel.

Personally i'd feel more secure if the servers weren't located on Australian soil.

Frequently getting kicked out if i'm idle for 20 minutes or more kinda limits the amount of time i'll spend in the channel, i'm not about to sit infront of irc all day long if no-one is in the channel. If I go afk while no-one is in the channel and someone comes in four hours later finds me idling they'll kick me out...

Whatever. For the most part i'll just stick to the irc servers i already frequent :P

^ I get what you are saying distracted. BUT... some people sit in idle for hours whilst there are people having a conversation in #thelab. Its almost like having a fly on the wall. I feel that if one is not contributing to the conversation,Why bother sitting there. They should log on and off to see who's on, rather than sit in idle for hours.

• Like 1

I just sit there in idle logging everyone's conversation. :devil:

I always go online when nobody is there, i sit there idle and wait until somebody says "hi dude" then i get a notification in the taskbar that someone is talking to me, then i check my irc client and i see:

"oh hey dude, just checking if anyone is in here"

"Oh you're not here, ok I'll go"

Well there'll never be anyone there if everyone keeps doing that!

My 2c :)

Well there'll never be anyone there if everyone keeps doing that!

My 2c :)

Doing what? Logging on and saying hi.. getting no response , then logging out again? Is that what you mean?. When i do that its because i have a spare 20 mins and would like a chat over my coffee. But i get bored very easily when i am am saying "HHHEELLOO" for ever , and no one responds. An idle where you respond shortly after someone enters is OK. But to stay in idle for hours with out commenting is bad chat etiquette.,... My 2 bobs worth :)

Chat is good value. :)

with time we will sort it out better.

i know what dude is saying, that happens to me a lot, but yeah, long story short "I just sit there in idle logging everyone's conversation. :devil: " is not appreciated by some, especially when you (distracted) have not really done a great deal of chatting to begin with, whereas it is tolerated more from people that everyone else is comfortable around.

• Like 1

Thing is, I'm usually quite enthralled by an article or youtube video I'm watching and I can't respond immediately so by the time I get back to you you're already gone, that's usually the way it happens, whereas I can have a two hour conversation of two or three sentences an hour with other idle people. If having a private conversation logged is an issue, remember you can always open a private window.

Pssst... I never trusted distracted either... :P

Very strange irc channel.

I agree. I think comments like this need to be taken with some worth or the chat will fail everywhere.

It should be noted here that dworx is essentially running the show.

I dont like lurking a great deal but am guilty of it myself. Booting people isnt just simply booting people :P It is demonstrating a power/status hierarchy which is problematic in itself.

The idea that people new to the chat have to demonstrate some level of trust or whatever before that are accepted in the room is gonna cause problems also IMO. I realise these sort of procedures are common in most social interactions but having members that are essentially n00bs themselves determine who and how the room is used is gonna make alot of people feel uncomfortable and turn people away.

I know its early days in terms of working shit out but its something to consider

I guess this is one of the reasons these chats keep dying or going underground

Well, maybe I am just paranoid about people being in the room but not contributing. Its not the conversations of any illegal stuff( not that that goes on) that i am concerned about ,its more private stuff , you know family stuff , personal issues etc....

And yes, dworx has kept #thelab running after vual disappeared. He puts effort into trying to make it more fun with bots and trivia etc... And the kick rule after idling for 20mins ,was not his alone.

Chat is a great place to learn, laugh and make friends. So lets find a happy medium :)

• Like 1

i just cant get back in. perod.

i think god did it, cos i never can tear myself away from the dandelion before bedtime.

well that and the fact that the odour of dworxs rancid gouch which can penetrate even the internet., is an aside i can live without.

I realise these sort of procedures are common in most social interactions but

having members that are essentially n00bs themselves determine who and how the

room is used is gonna make alot of people feel uncomfortable and turn people

away.

i never really associated the channel with the forum anyways. i think if these guys are putting in the effort, and i defo wouldnt regard them as noobs, i think that they would have a better mind of establishing some very fair ground rules than anyone else just logging straight in. id bet my rectum that the are open to suggestions and discussion on how to improve the place. big ups amz, meeka and dworx TI etc for putting in the effort and yeah basically being really cool and down to earth people to talk to.big love to the crew x

Edited by incognito

thanks cog

i do suspect DW

of being a chief.

hats off to him.

and that is not to disregard what sapito said. sapito is a chief too, ever the seeker of equality.

we are trying :\

whats wrong TI? let it out brother.

Edited by incognito