The Corroboree

Question

Hey guys,

Found this today - I wanna know whether to make a spore print or throw it in a salad :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

post-6007-0-53261200-1301202102_thumb.jp

post-6007-0-20230100-1301202140_thumb.jp

post-6007-0-90686700-1301202169_thumb.jp

post-6007-0-16994000-1301202193_thumb.jp

post-6007-0-53261200-1301202102_thumb.jpg

post-6007-0-20230100-1301202140_thumb.jpg

post-6007-0-90686700-1301202169_thumb.jpg

post-6007-0-16994000-1301202193_thumb.jpg

post-6007-0-53261200-1301202102_thumb.jpg

post-6007-0-20230100-1301202140_thumb.jpg

post-6007-0-90686700-1301202169_thumb.jpg

post-6007-0-16994000-1301202193_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Certainly looks like a cube to me. And a handsome little one, too. Take a spore print to be sure, even if you're already sure. It's good practice for those new to hunting.

But whatever you do, don't eat it; there's a vague rumour going around these forums that implies that they might possibly be used as a drug of some sort, in some bizarre contexts. Who'd have thought it?!

Certainly looks like a cube to me. And a handsome little one, too. Take a spore print to be sure, even if you're already sure. It's good practice for those new to hunting.

But whatever you do, don't eat it; there's a vague rumour going around these forums that implies that they might possibly be used as a drug of some sort, in some bizarre contexts. Who'd have thought it?!

Cheers - definitely new to hunting here - didn't really know what to do with it so it's drying in front of a fan right now :) and what's all this drug talk!?!!? if that's the case I better not put it in my salad then...

sticking out of some cow poo in the Gold Coast hinterland... lovely view up there :)

was that the only one you could find? by that i mean, was there a lot around?

Yep that looks like one of the local cubes to me. The veil is still quite obvious, other look-a-likes round here tend to have a "chunkier" veil not one that is so thin and rubbery. Should still be some P. Cyans around as well, although SWIM tends to find them earlier in the season moreso. Another thing is that the little ones may not bruise for a while so keep them on you for about ten minutes then stop for a smoke or whatever and check for bruising. Maybe get your gnome to mung some down :o:drool2:

if you are drying it out... whack it in some capsules, cram them full with the flat side of a drillbit should fit around 1-1.5G in a capsule, 2-3 capsules and you will know about it ! markedly not as strong as fresh teas though. Watch for bugs trying to eat your shroom out from under you too, they normally seem to start in the top of the "stem" where it meets with the cap so try pulling the stem off right at the top of the cap to minimise the chances of them fucking her up ! but save the stalk and brew it too (minus the cow shit) my gnome once had a brew of just stalks and found it to be one of the most "deep though-invoking" trips of his life.

Capsules works best for my mates, although i prefer tea, it limits the nausea to a few nasty tasting burps. I don't seem to get sick though, i sort of associate the rumbling and folding of my stomach with a trip coming on whether it be HBWR or Mushrooms, and tell my body that it should be enjoying the ride not refusing it.

My gnome wants me to drop him up for a run as he has only done 1 this year :o and may not know any new spots at the new house

edit: but in my opinion if ingesting shrooms was illegal i would have eaten that thing on the spot ! that would be one of the finest specimens i have seen come from the local area, so nice and perfect, no real damage from the rain. !

edit2: on that note check this thread a few posts down. mine is a bit more golden and way more prominent veil/more mature but you get the idea. whilst there are some minor differences i believe they are purely based on conditions

Edited by DarkSpark

was that the only one you could find? by that i mean, was there a lot around?

Yeah, that was the only one there.

And thanks DarkSpark many helpful pieces of advice!

other look-a-likes round here tend to have a "chunkier" veil not one that is so thin and rubbery

This one is a question I'v had for ages - the first one was are there any local cube impostors, which obviously there is, and secondly are any of them harmful?

Not that it would matter because you'd have to be eating these things for that to be a problem :wink:

And the little beauty was drying in front of a fan through a period of heavy rain with lots of moisture in the air so I didn't like my chances of completely drying it out. So once it was as dry as I could get it in the conditions it went into an airtight container into the freezer, which I've heard won't effect anything too much if a gnome broke into the house, rummaged through my freezer and promptly ate everything in there with no delay...

hehe i am shocked you only found one. did you start peeling the grass away round it and whatnot? often them y wont be blaring out in your face you will have to dig for em !TBH the only real look alikes are miniature ones that really dont look anything like cubes, but do look at bit like P. Cyans, hence the Cubes are your safest bet up here.

I have heard that similar methods of storage work great.

did you weigh it when fresh by chance ??? i find a 30G cap makes a beautiful cup of tea ! will end up around 2-3G dry

damn scales were out of batteries! But I highly doubt it was 30g... It feels like a gram or so dry but now with the frozen factor I don't know how I'll go about accurately proving that - guess I'll just have to find some more!