The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DarkSpark

Acacia Falcata (maybe)

Well i often throw a few seeds here and there, normally in pots, however this guy is one that i appear to have thrown into the garden. Around 2 years old now well over 2M tall and powering along as you will see from the pictures. quite a few of my other results through different searches were ruled out due to them being primarily located down south moreso (i am SE-QLD by the way), this may have been a mistake on my part but it helped to narrow things down a fair bit :)

Some basic measurements of full size phyllodes

length: 170mm roughly (measuring around the curve not from end to end not sure what the go is here regarding measuring)

width 25mm at widest point

flowers are just coming on now, possibly a bit early as it says april - august but i figure it may be starting a bit earlier than most or just take a while to develop flowers further. They are globular and there are two sets of flowers coming from each leaf node. Check the pictures for a bit better of an idea. There is a fair few terms i am unfamiliar with in the ID Table so i may be a bit wrong. Obviously as is was cast into the garden i can't recall the seeds at all though i do remember collecting ones similar to these as well as quite coiled ones that season, i was not really able to id them as i was even more of a noob then xD

but the pictures seem to match the right down to the phyllode tips starting pointed but over time seeming to get damaged and brown off then slowly wear away to leave an almost rounded tip on some of the older branches.

some links

Other Alternatives Given

RBG Sydney - Acacia Falcata

close-up of the flowers

post-6528-0-08876900-1300272716_thumb.jp

Picture of the plant itself... Can tell they love being in the ground. This one started the same time as my A. Podalyriifolia which are in pots and the pods are only around 30cm tall whereas this one now stands over me :)

post-6528-0-01886400-1300272919_thumb.jp

some phyllodes etc

post-6528-0-60357100-1300275268_thumb.jp

more pictures of any part can be taken as it's just out the back i am just curious as i think i know where more are and they are a beautiful tree this one seems to be growing perfectly symmetrical with a king of greyish green sheen to it. plus i think i know where they are which could mean seeds in a few months to try another run.

post-6528-0-08876900-1300272716_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-01886400-1300272919_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-60357100-1300275268_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-08876900-1300272716_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-01886400-1300272919_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-60357100-1300275268_thumb.jpg

Edited by DarkSpark

Hi

I'm very familiar with falcata, lots of it growing around me.

I'd be quite confident that's what you've got there.

Cheers

Hi

I'm very familiar with falcata, lots of it growing around me.

I'd be quite confident that's what you've got there.

Cheers

hey there cambodian :) & yep i would agree

thanks guys, wish i had kept more seeds :( hopefully we don't move before this one sets seed, wWould love to get some little ones going as i doubt there is any way i could get this one out of the ground without killing it. Not that it matters seeing as how it will probably be pulled by my nazi manager once i go. Do you guys think it would be worth trying to dig it out at that size ? i have pretty large pots (upto 750mm) so i could PROBABLY dig a fair bit of the root system out, although there is concrete and fences in the way :S

Rather than starting a new thread i though i would just use the end of this one for my next ID. The web isn't particularly helpful when you are looking for varieties with coiled seed pods. But i found this really beatufitul looking acacia today and the closest thing i could find to it was Acacia longifolia subsp. sophorae except it's pods aren't spiraled like mine the only thing i am given on plantnet is A. Oswaldi which clearly isn't it i would really like to know though because the seed pods are awesome. most are fully intertwined around each other and whatnot. I didn't see it flower but it has just started seeding recently as most are still green. There are thousands of seed pods scattered on this little clump of trees they look like tiny green tree snakes

I will be germinating some regardless of what they are and collecting spares, if anyone wants any let me know

Some Measurements

Phyllode width : 30-35mm

phyllode length: 100 - 120 mm

seed pods have between 5 and 8 seeds

post-6528-0-69037400-1300783653_thumb.jp

post-6528-0-59412800-1300783536_thumb.jp

post-6528-0-71128500-1300783283_thumb.jp

Or if anyone can at least point me in the right direction for a good ID book to purchase that would be AWESOME !

post-6528-0-71128500-1300783283_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-59412800-1300783536_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-69037400-1300783653_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-71128500-1300783283_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-59412800-1300783536_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-69037400-1300783653_thumb.jpg

is hard to tell without seeing habit shots, bark, flowers etc perhaps A. implexa?

it looks quite similar to A. Holosericea although my area doesn't match particularly well, lack of "white hairs" on the surface of phyllodes although other leaves on the tree may have had this i was in a rush at the time. Growing in a 50/50 full sun/hanging over semi shaded creek bed. only say 4-5M tall probably they may or may not be full size as the area has recently been redeveloped due to heavy rain a few years back wiping out the banks.

the trees are holding together a creekbed that only flows when there is heavy rain. planted by hand for sure as the large ones are nice and evenly spaced apart.

http://keys.trin.org.au:8080/key-server/data/0e0f0504-0103-430d-8004-060d07080d04/media/Html/taxon/Acacia_holosericea.htm

definitely not A. implexa the seed pods are truly spiraled and interwoven, as well as this the phyllodes are "semi-rounded" at the tip as opposed to "sharp" (excuse my lack of proper terminology)

i wish i had the camera while i was there but i didn't and its a fair walk to get back. So other pictures are on hold until at least tomorrow. I will keep googling, i really need to put together a glossary of the key words and their relationships for myself to make it a bit easier to do my research. Will report back with some better photos tomorrow afternoon iof i haven't positively ID'd

Hi mate

I'd say A. melanoxylon judging by your pics and description.

If you've got the bucks I'd suggest the series, "Flora of NSW" by Gwen Harden. It has keys for every species of plant that occurs naturally in NSW (and a lot of S.E. QLD). Not cheap though with 4 volumes, each over $100, but it's the "bible" when it comes to native plants in NSW. Don't know of a QLD specific guide.

Cheers.

(if you p.m. me I can send some falcata seed)

it looks quite similar to A. Holosericea although my area doesn't match particularly well, lack of "white hairs" on the surface of phyllodes although other leaves on the tree may have had this i was in a rush at the time. Growing in a 50/50 full sun/hanging over semi shaded creek bed. only say 4-5M tall probably they may or may not be full size as the area has recently been redeveloped due to heavy rain a few years back wiping out the banks.

the trees are holding together a creekbed that only flows when there is heavy rain. planted by hand for sure as the large ones are nice and evenly spaced apart.

http://keys.trin.org.au:8080/key-server/data/0e0f0504-0103-430d-8004-060d07080d04/media/Html/taxon/Acacia_holosericea.htm

definitely not A. implexa the seed pods are truly spiraled and interwoven, as well as this the phyllodes are "semi-rounded" at the tip as opposed to "sharp" (excuse my lack of proper terminology)

i wish i had the camera while i was there but i didn't and its a fair walk to get back. So other pictures are on hold until at least tomorrow. I will keep googling, i really need to put together a glossary of the key words and their relationships for myself to make it a bit easier to do my research. Will report back with some better photos tomorrow afternoon iof i haven't positively ID'd

Not so sure... A. melanoxylon has single spherical flowers in the leaf axils. The first lot of pictures clearly show elongated racemes.

Hi mate

I'd say A. melanoxylon judging by your pics and description.

If you've got the bucks I'd suggest the series, "Flora of NSW" by Gwen Harden. It has keys for every species of plant that occurs naturally in NSW (and a lot of S.E. QLD). Not cheap though with 4 volumes, each over $100, but it's the "bible" when it comes to native plants in NSW. Don't know of a QLD specific guide.

Cheers.

(if you p.m. me I can send some falcata seed)

i think he is tlaking about the second one i want id'd (maybe)

also i have borrowed Flora of NSW from the library and am reading through it amongst others. Wide Bay libraries have an amazing selection of books on flora including medicinal, weeds and "poisonous plants"