The Corroboree
random

Plants to aid stress and promote energy?

Ok so i've just got word that i'm going to have some family members from up north stay here for an undisclosed period of time. :unsure:

Which means i'm going to be run off my feet looking after everybody and driving them around as they are unfamiliar with this area.

This combined with family issues (lol) and the fact that I already look after my own kids and extended family every day also means i'm gonna be STRESSED. As if I wasn't already... *ffs*

So i'd like some suggestions please on what herbs/plants I can ingest in order to seriously help lessen any stress or side effects of stress e.g anxiety that I just know i'm gonna encounter :P

Also energy promoting herbs as i'm going to be more tired than usual and will need a source of energy boost to keep me going !

Please help! :lol::

Step 1: Pack suitcase.

Step 2: Run for the hills.

The undisclosed amount of time that they are staying would be the thing that bothered me the most. I suggest some vitamin B for stress. And make sure you still get some 'you' time. Go for a beach walk after tea. Let the relatives do some things for you like babysitting. Good luck, try and stay sane.

Coca leaf tea is supposed to be good.

Edited by tripsis

Sceletium might be a good one (im a big fan of this herb by the way - i reccommend it regularly), its stimulating then relaxing and with more regular use the effects are more pronounced

Also you can order it from australian vendors

Edited by poisonshroom

ST John Wort -Hypericum works well to keep a balanced outlook during periods of high stress. There are some contradictions though so it's best to read up a bit about it.

I can't comment on a suitable stimulant because I stir well clear of them myself. Maybe with all the potential stress ahead it might be best to focus on maintaining a sustainable sleep regime with the odd afternoon snooze thrown in. Though it's sounds out of the question with all the visiting family on your hands.

All the best.

i read recently that gotu kola can help reduce stress,

i've had no personal experience with it though

Iv used gotu kola on and off for a while and i noticed it was a decent pick me up when i was a cleaner (when i needed it). Not as noticeable as somethings, but it seemed to help

Also it grows like a weed, so you would always have a supply

gotu kola is also good for enhancing memory and is meant to promote long life. the plant i brought of it had a tag which suggested using no more than 2-3 leaves per day as there is something harmful in it

go to a health food shop and get some skullcap, chamomile and passionflower teas, very calming and relaxing herbs. if you are having problems sleeping there is always valerian which is a good knock you out tea, beware though it smells like stinky feet!

Edited by bogfrog

Ginseng in the morning... I find bioceuticals products very good. These are often practitioner only supplements / mixtures though if you go into a health food shop and ask for the specific product they most often give it to you assuming you have been told to get it before. The product with ginseng in it that I am talking about contains the following: siberian ginseng, withania somnifera, korean ginseng, anerican ginseng, reishi mushroom and the following nutrients: phenylalanine, tyrosine.. (actually... just look up 'Adrenoplex' by the company mentioned above).

If you have trouble sleeping after being stressed or really busy in the day then perhaps meditation and the calming / seditative herbs mentioned in other posts.

Anecdotal evidence I've noticed on this forum seem to suggest that Heimia Salicifolia, (sp?) might be doing something with the GABA receptors... it might help with sleep?

Valerian or kava........or just vape up some of the beautiful green 'erb :wink: ....to relax

Guarana or mormon tea ...to energise

btw, sounds like you're entertaining the whole circus.

all the best with your efforts

:)

Valerian or kava........or just vape up some of the beautiful green 'erb :wink: ....to relax

Guarana or mormon tea ...to energise

btw, sounds like you're entertaining the whole circus.

all the best with your efforts

:)

had never heard to vape Valeriana before... May have to look into it, How well does it work for you as far as de-stressing goes ?

had never heard to vape Valeriana before... May have to look into it, How well does it work for you as far as de-stressing goes ?

lol i think he means vaporizing a certain illegal herb

ah that would make a lot more sense... Maybe i need to visit the optometrist i don't seem to be reading properly of late xD

On that note i think its time to sleep.

To cope with the extra physical and mental demands you probably don't want to slow yourself down, so unless you have anxiety disorder I'd stay away from downers or relaxants as they will just make it appear harder to cope. if however the demands are mostly psychological then go ahead, knock yourself out and let the noise wash over you ;)

If you want to keep up and enjoy the extra activity then I suggest boosting your dopamine. The main bulding block for this is tyrosine. so have 500mg of this with breakky and with lunch. no later! add a bit of chcolate to the mix, but stay away from any extra caffeine than you would normally have. chocolate [esp dark choc] contains theobromine which works like caffeine, but much longer, smoother and gentler.

I'd also look into any stamina type products like Mucuna, tongkat ali, even a pinch of yohimbe. again, do nto take them any later than 2pm or you will not wind down in the evening which will affect your rest and hence the next day.

in the evenings slow yourself down with some very strong camomille and/or lemon balm tea. Both act like valium, but weaker and shorter, so you're ready for action in the morning.

Licorice Root is good for stress it contains a natural hormone alternative to cortisone, which can help the body handle stressful situations, and can help to normalize blood sugar levels as well as your adrenal glands, providing you with the energy necessary to deal with the stressful situation at hand. Some claim licorice stimulates cranial and cerebrospinal fluid, thereby calming the mind.

Ok so i've just got word that i'm going to have some family members from up north stay here for an undisclosed period of time. :unsure:

Which means i'm going to be run off my feet looking after everybody and driving them around as they are unfamiliar with this area.

This combined with family issues (lol) and the fact that I already look after my own kids and extended family every day also means i'm gonna be STRESSED. As if I wasn't already... *ffs*

So i'd like some suggestions please on what herbs/plants I can ingest in order to seriously help lessen any stress or side effects of stress e.g anxiety that I just know i'm gonna encounter :P

Also energy promoting herbs as i'm going to be more tired than usual and will need a source of energy boost to keep me going !

Please help! :lol::

I suggest withania somnifera (ashwaganda),half to one teaspoon of powdered root in the morning should keep you calm and give you some energy.I,d say more but my computer is giving me trouble.

Edited by Andrew

If you want to keep up and enjoy the extra activity then I suggest boosting your dopamine. The main bulding block for this is tyrosine. so have 500mg of this with breakky and with lunch. no later!

Is this the same as L-tyrosine which is available through Koda Phytorium ? And how long can you take this for without a break?

Is this the same as L-tyrosine which is available through Koda Phytorium ? And how long can you take this for without a break?

Yes, or also from any decent health food shop.

There is no limit to how long you can take this. This is one of the aminos common in food, but by increasing the amount you shift towards better metabolism.

Reduce dosage if it causes anxiety - some people can be quite sensitive to it. Also if it causes jitters try to take it with substantial amount of food to prolong absorption. Unlike stimulants, there is no come down, just a return to normal.

Where's it come from Torsten? Is it synthetic?

Edited by tripsis

It is derived from soy in this case, but it is so pure that even though I have a severe soy allergy I do not react to it.

It can also be derived from dairy.

How do you know the source (say if I went to a health food store and picked some up)? It is on the label, or do you need to contact the company who manufactures it?

Just wanted to say thankyou to everybody for offering their contributions to my question, and due to the replies offered, I now have a better plan of attack to tackle the impending arrival of the masses from the north.. :lol:

I will definitely try tyrosine and a few of the other suggestions, thanks again for everybody's help, much appreciated. :)

How do you know the source (say if I went to a health food store and picked some up)? It is on the label, or do you need to contact the company who manufactures it?

you don't know. The manufacturers of products in oz will rarely give out that information. I import mine and get it directly from the manufacturer, who supply me with a number of different certificates. Due to quarantine issues in oz you'll find it more likely for these products to be soy derived than from dairy.

what is your concern?

what is your concern?

The ethics of the food and supplements I consume. If it's derived from soy, I'd like to know where that soy comes from (e.g. it's not soy farmed where the rainforest in the Amazon once stood) and that it's not GM. If it's dairy, it would be good to know which country it came from, due to the differing treatment of animals in different countries.