The Corroboree

Hello people do you think anyone can point me in the right direction to a shaman in south oz or should I save my penny's and try south america.

It's probably an ignorant question but I thought I would ask, thanks

What do you want the shaman to do for you? If you just want advice on common ailments and such, you'd probably find most of the information written in herbal books. If you want a guide for say, ayahuasca - then I question why it has to be a shaman to share his interpretation of underlying reality?

But to answer your question - good luck, I think most shamans who are genuine would've stayed in their village, and I think most shamans who are conmen would've emigrated to find more money. Why don't you become a shaman yourself? :P

Thats the idea bluntmuffin, I have been quietly studying by myself for a while now and have found that you can only get so far by reading and its dangerous to go to hard by yourself. Most of my friends think entheogens are a novel way to get high but for me this is not the case. I have looked at many spiritualitys and religions most I found are bollocks and would like to speak with someone who has experience with the plant healers and their Spirits so I can learn to heal first myself and then others so we can all build together!:P

• Like 1

Thats the idea bluntmuffin, I have been quietly studying by myself for a while now and have found that you can only get so far by reading and its dangerous to go to hard by yourself. Most of my friends think entheogens are a novel way to get high but for me this is not the case. I have looked at many spiritualitys and religions most I found are bollocks and would like to speak with someone who has experience with the plant healers and their Spirits so I can learn to heal first myself and then others so we can all build together!:P

amen [ra] to that brother! my gnome likes where your coming from :wink:

amen [ra] to that brother! my gnome likes where your coming from :wink:

definitely diserves an AMEN!! I have also researched alot of beliefs, cultures and religions and none of them catch my eye one bit! A Shaman on the other-hand.. he/she knows all and will always know all, gaining more and more knowledge after each ritual.

If I had no tie downs here in Perth.. I would most definitely be heading out to the Amazon to spend years n years of gaining respect, knowledge and a true understanding of the Shaman's lifestyle and beliefs.

A much more accessible alternative is to undertake study in Psychonaughtical travels. If your travels lead you towards taking on the responsabilitys of a shaman so be it, but it sure isnt for everyone. Many folks find it hard to maintain responsibility for their own heads let alone the heads of others while navigating the ayahuasca realms.

A traditional shaman maintains his responsibility to those within the realm by upholding a mystical all knowing, unquestioning, unbroken knowledge that is applied with faith in a positive outcome for the participants. The breakdown of this figure within western culture has resulted in the all questioning individual, who unless they are willing to subscribe to this tradition will question and be questioned. Thus the evolution of the psychonaught. The sailor of the self.

Western psychology has evolved a similar role of the shaman in the form of the psychedelic therapist. Authority, order and thus responsibility of the patient is maintained through applying a strict set of pre agreed upon roles and rules which are maintained by the therapist in a sober state. Most therapists would not trust the breakdown of their questioning minds to maintain the now complex questioning participants.

Some things to ponder while searching the beginning of your path.

Happy travels

• Like 1

Shamans are overrated. In many aspects. The Shamen are much better.

"Sailor of the self", now, now that what I am talking about! Cheers.

• Like 2

In my opinion, I think Gracie and Zarkov focus too much on entities, and seem to think that in the entheogenic state - everything they experience is as true and existential as it appears. Although, they did find some nice scientific-ish conclusions which I was very happy with. :)

As much as D.M. Turner did some absolutely stupid things, his grand mistakes helped me to learn more from him than most writers in that vein.

What I see most of us like-minded (as in, open to more) people walking towards, is the idea of emptying your head of all the crap. Dissolve the illusions you've lived with your whole life. Be able to understand and accept everything. Polish out all your dualities, until all you have left is a shiny sphere. This viewpoint is very much Zen, which is the only organized spirituality that I've found that didn't try to force doctrines down my throat (although they do have traditions, which aren't essential - only the meditation techniques are, some more than others). If you have skipped over Zen - please have another look. Read the Tao of Physics (Fritjof Capra) if you want to shatter some fundamental delusions. That book, and The Web of Life (his too) have changed my entire life and the way I'm going to use my the rest of my life, and have given me more happiness and clarity than any 2 books ever have. :)

Edited by bluntmuffin

I've been hearing a bit about newer age shamans practising around the East Coast of Australia through Raz Rakams podcast.

I am quite interested in this question and what you find out :)

Interesting, I have seen it in Rak he & his partner saw it in me & mine but I put up the boxes & resisted their way of thinking.

I was resistant but fascinated by Rak, I took his tools & adapted them even if I did'nt know why, he knew what we needed his partner too but he could'nt step back & point out why.

His partner told me the cure, maybe if you brought him he would'nt be anymore, EGA.

We cannot fight it anymore.

Edited by shruman