The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

First subs of the 2011 season!

They're odd hey, I don't dream about other shrooms.

But how many other shreems do you hunt with such intensity?

I have had dreams of all sorts of mushrooms and at all times through the year, the old story, "oooh, i had a dream of subs last night it must be that time of year and/or the mushies are letting me know" is a funny one and i myself at times have no doubt stupidly said it. I dont dream about cactus coming out of dormancy or pods only as spring rolls around :P I have some pretty spastic dreams though most nights.

^SHREEMS, is that the new term for mushroom dreams?. I too dream of mushrooms, but only after spending a day hunting for them to photograph. Its like photoreceptor bleaching ( if thats the right term i am looking for ? You know, like when you look at something for too long, you keep seeing it)

I dont usually dream about them. But ive found shit loads now up in the hills - earlier autumn...

It's quite normal for me to have shreems a little before the start of mushrooms season. It doesn't happen every time, but it's awesome and funny. But I don't dream of Psilies in particular. I remember a lot a shreem, being in a strange wood with lots of amanita muscaria kai amanita citrina once. Lots of great images the head had generated, lots of specimens too.

^SHREEMS, is that the new term for mushroom dreams?. I too dream of mushrooms, but only after spending a day hunting for them to photograph. Its like photoreceptor bleaching ( if thats the right term i am looking for ? You know, like when you look at something for too long, you keep seeing it)

The Tetris Effect

The only mushroom dream I had was way after last season, I was being chased by zombies while driving a car and saw some mushrooms on the side of the road I thought were subs. I thought that i'd never get to see subs again in the zombie apocolypse so I pulled over to pick them, but upon closer inspection I noticed they looked nothing like subs anyway, just some brown mushroom. So technically i've dreampt more about other mushrooms than subs :)

I went for a trip to the mountains & found these babies :lol:

* had to delete my post, was trying to upload my photos and my computer won't co-operate. I found many subs on Tuesday, have some great photos.

Jess, are you saying that there are subs in the Blue Mountains already?!

Well and truly happenign in Tas.

Found these lovely little babies. looks like the season has been happening for a couple of weeks now as i saw heaps of rotting ones.

still quite dry in places so looking like its not going to be as early as i expected.

ah well. here's some pics:

post-2028-0-72109700-1301816496_thumb.jp

post-2028-0-25315400-1301817316_thumb.jp

post-2028-0-69978600-1301817353_thumb.jp

post-2028-0-54137200-1301817372_thumb.jp

post-2028-0-27226200-1301817400_thumb.jp

post-2028-0-79182900-1301817418_thumb.jp

Cheers, Obtuse

post-2028-0-72109700-1301816496_thumb.jpg

post-2028-0-25315400-1301817316_thumb.jpg

post-2028-0-69978600-1301817353_thumb.jpg

post-2028-0-54137200-1301817372_thumb.jpg

post-2028-0-27226200-1301817400_thumb.jpg

post-2028-0-79182900-1301817418_thumb.jpg

post-2028-0-72109700-1301816496_thumb.jpg

post-2028-0-25315400-1301817316_thumb.jpg

post-2028-0-69978600-1301817353_thumb.jpg

post-2028-0-54137200-1301817372_thumb.jpg

post-2028-0-27226200-1301817400_thumb.jpg

post-2028-0-79182900-1301817418_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Jess, are you saying that there are subs in the Blue Mountains already?!

Yep absolutly, I went to my same place, and there was PLENTY!!! lol, I didn't expect to find as many as I did so quickly, but the season is most definatly on :) For some reason i am having alot of trouble uploading pics.

Well and truly happenign in Tas.

Found these lovely little babies. looks like the season has been happening for a couple of weeks now as i saw heaps of rotting ones.

still quite dry in places so looking like its not going to be as early as i expected.

ah well. here's some pics:

Cheers, Obtuse

Those tassie subs look similar to the south aussie ones i see :)

Sorry distracted Im gonna disagree with you there. Although some SA collections look typical there are also South Australian subs which have a unique more viscid cap with a more yellowish glossy colour and a different stem colouring quite often as well. South Australian collections were examined and found to have quite different cystidial forms to other collections from around Australia. Collections from Tasmania, Victoria, NSW, Sydney, and WA all had lechyniform to lageniform cystidial forms.

The differences between South Australian collections and collections from other locations were greater microscopically than between azurescens and cyanescens collections (although some of these have no pleurocystidia).

This is from previous work:

Psilocybe subaeruginosa (Cleland 1927)

Potency: medium to high.

Habititat: Psilocybe subaeruginosa is a lignious species, found on wood debris, pine mulch, eucalyptus mulch and has been reported in kangaroo and cow manure. Reported from Western, South Australia, Victoria, Tasmania and NSW in Australia and also in New Zealand.

Description: A large species with a dark brown hydrophanous cap, strong umbo and a hollow, white stem. It has very crowded gills that ascend towards the stem and are quickly chocolate brown in colour. Cap and stem stain strongly blue. The cap can often be uplifted at maturity, but tends toward being inrolled at the margin throughout most of its development. The Stem is often covered with fine greyish brown streaks - indicative of this mushroom and Psilocybe australiana. The bluing reaction tends to vary from location, with South Australian specimens demonstrating considerable blue-staining, even of mycelia (Reville 2002). Main indicators are the hollow stems, dark brown cap colour and ascending gills - all of which have been noted in Victorian varieties of Psilocybe subaeruginosa variant australiana. (Kata, James 2002)

Microscopic Features: In Victoria this mushroom is identical to Guzman's Psilocybe australiana with lageniform to leychniform hyaline pleurocystidia, 4-spored basidia (Teonan, James, Kata, Workman 2002) and a spore size around 11-15, by 6-9 (Reville 2002). Spores purple brown. Type Specimens from South Australia and NSW tend between lageniform to Ventricose-Rostrate P.cystidia. Importantly, cystidia are always hyaline.

Psilocybe australiana (Guzman)

Potency: medium to extreme.

Habititat: Psilocybe australiana is a lignious mushroom found in landscape gardens throughout Victoria, NSW and possibly Western Australia. Commonly found on Eucalyptus and pine mulch, rarely on pine needles.

Description: This mushroom is identical to Ps.subaeruginosa. In Victoria this mushroom can be categorised into two distinct types. Firstly it is commonly found as a large umbonated mushroom with a sharp nipple, orangy brown hydrophanous cap with a margin often flecked with white veil remnants and strongly visible radial lines (striate). The stem is a strong white with a consistant radius, chestnust brown when the flesh is broken. The gills are very crowded, whitish brown soon dark chocolate brown and ascending towards the stem. Cap and stem often spotted with dark blue stains, and flesh quickly stains bluish/black upon damage.

The other Victorian variety is the one originally described by Guzman as wavy-capped. This was recently identified incorrectly by Guzman personally as Psilocybe australiana (Wira 2002). Characterised by its wavy cap margin similar to Psilocybe cyanescens, a dark chestnut brown hydrophanous cap, bone to chocolate brown gills that seem more distant than the umbonated variety. Again a white stem that is caramel brownish when broken and quickly staining dark bluish, but rarely black. The cap fades from the centre, remaining darker toward the margin, which exhibits strong radial lines. The stem of the wavy cap is often quite thin, with mycelia radiating at the base.

Microscopic Features: Spore print is dark purple-brown as with Psilocybe subaeruginosa. Spore size is similar to Cleland's Psilocybe subaeruginosa with 12-14.5 by 6-9 (Reville and Kata 2002) with pleurocystidia hyaline, and always lageniform to sub-lechyniform (Teonan, Kata, James, Workman 2002) - similar in shape to Cleland's Psilocybe subaeruginosa. (James).

Psilocybe eucalypta (Guzman and Watling)

Potency: medium to high.

Habititat: Psilocybe eucalypta is a lignious species found growing on Eucalyptus mulch, pine and other wood debris. Reported in lawns with underlying wood debris and of this mushroom growing off kangaroo manure. Found only in NSW and possibly Tasmania.

Description: This mushroom's appearance is quite similar to other Subaeruginosa variants. It is characteristed as a large wood-loving psilocybe with a flat non-umbonated cap often somewhat umbrella like, developing to a flat disc that is rarely uplifted at maturity. The cap is reddish-bronze-brown drying to a light yellowish straw with the similar colour to the stem. Macroscopic descriptions by Guzman and Watling describe a white ring around the margin. It has been seen with an umbo, but not a pointed nipple. Margin is tends toward radial lines (striate). The stem is even and whitish with blue streaks and has been recorded as up to 12 cm tall. It often splits with age. The Gills are a smoky brown and quite distant unlike other subaeruginosa variants and do not tend to ascend towards their attachment with the stem. Flesh white bruising bluish.

Microscopic Features: Spore print is a smoky brown with purplish tinges. Certainly purple, but more brown than other psilocybes. Spore size is consistantly 11.7 by 5.5 to 7.1.(Reville and Kata 2002). Pleurocystidia always hyaline, with four consistant shapes ranging from mucronate, fuscoid ventricose to sub-lageniform, with one type that resemble a nippled breast. (Teonan, Kata, James and Workman 2002).

Text from Blue Meanies Austrailian Mycology Page

The conclusion was that as previous suggested, all three were synonymous.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

Can confirm that the season is off to a really nice start in the mountains. :)

Melb is showing first signs of psilo-life, small pins popping up and myc activity.

Haven't been out looking myself yet but have heard reports from the west side already! :lol:

Those tassie subs look similar to the south aussie ones i see

Sorry distracted Im gonna disagree with you there. Although some SA collections look typical there are also South Australian subs which have a unique more viscid cap with a more yellowish glossy colour and a different stem colouring quite often as well. South Australian collections were examined and found to have quite different cystidial forms to other collections from around Australia. Collections from Tasmania, Victoria, NSW, Sydney, and WA all had lechyniform to lageniform cystidial forms.

Truth is last year I saw all different types of subs, some had shades of colour completely different to others, nothing too radical mind you and some just looked different :/

I'd like to get a better handle on what constitutes a South Aussie sub macroscopically though so I could get some prints.

Edited by Distracted

from my 7 years hunting experience I have to say SA subs definitely much weirder then other states. whilst other states typically have brown caps SA subs almost always orange or yellow with a thin mottled stem. came across a post at the shroomery a guy from NSW or something was claiming his subs were P. bohemica or serbica, I've always thought SA subs resembled these types of species more than cyanescens or subaeruginosa

Edited by Trich-Aura

is there any mycologists that we could send some samples to so they can identify it officially as a new species? I know there is one in Adelaide, once season starts I might take some samples to the fungi meeting for an official identification. just hope that there wouldn't be any legal issues with them containing psilocybin

wow, so only another 3 months to wait for W.A. :P

Could be 1!!!!

Some babies spotted this morning.

post-7065-0-40724200-1302843408_thumb.jp

post-7065-0-77896200-1302843421_thumb.jp

post-7065-0-40724200-1302843408_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-77896200-1302843421_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-40724200-1302843408_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-77896200-1302843421_thumb.jpg

Mt.B, that second pin is a little cutie! :wub: Nice photos.