The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

chelidonium majus/op8[?] plants available

me, me, me.

e-mail me with suggestion.

Guest reville

Was that from Austral herbs? I have seed due... tomorrow... ill write up some cool info on this species soon.

Be careful and you should have fun.

i purchased this herb in a local health food shop,packaged by a local company.one largeish teaspoon to a cup of tea was a pleasant dose even for slightly jaded tastes.

seed was sourced locally,fairly hard to collect in any large amount thats why i've grown plants,instead of offering seed.

t s t .

i'm glad you reminded me with this thread TST. i planted some years ago. you should only need to plant it once and it will happily set itself beside a path. thanks to your reminder i'll go and collect some specimens. this stuff has a sap very much like the argemone mex.

Guest reville

BAI QU CAI

The dried whole plant of Chelidonium majus (Papaveraceae)

Chemistry

The plant contains several alkaloids, including chelidonine, protopine, stylopine, allocryptopine, chelerythrine, sparteine and coptisine.

Actions

The alkaloids of this herb produce an analgesic effect similar tothat of morphine, with an action lasting from 4 to 48 hours. The alkaloids also have an anaesthetic effect on sensory nerve endings. Additionally, they are antitussive and cause relaxation of gastrointestinal muscles , and have antibacterial activity.

In clinical trials, doses above 1g produced dizziness, headache, sweating, nausea and vomitingand, occasionally, hypotension. The LD50 of the alakloids in mice is 300mg/kg (subcutaneous).

Therapeutic Use

This herb has been used as an anodyne, analgesic, antitussive, diuretic and detoxicant.

It is used in the treatment of abdominal pain, peptic ulcers, chronic bronchitis, and whooping cough.

It is prescribed in combination with other herbs in the form of a tincture or water extract to relieve gastrointestinal spasms. It may also be applied externally to the skin in the form of an ointment or paste, to treat insect bites and infections.

Guest reville

So whats the growth pattern with these guys?

Long or short day plant?

My paeonies grow here in winter and flower in spring, i also grow my tomatoes this way as it gets too hot in summer and the disease burden is massive in perth

Do these plants like hot or cold weather?

Germination rates? times?

I got some from Austral herbs today.

A well spent $2.50

the plant seems to self seed in autumn,so i did the same.just treated it as papaver.

have seen it grow here in full summer sun.

leaves grow until established,then flowers sporadically from spring to autumn.one pod ripens at a time,seeds fall when ripe,tedious colle3ction unless you have a lot of plants.

the yellow sap is very acrid,almost burning the mouth when fresh.

germination rates seemed high and happened in days in autumn.

i think you could plant now if your careful.

t s t .

So Bitter Bitter Tantra. I did eventually drink it though. biggrin.gif

Guest reville

so does this baby actually have recreational potential or is it strictly medicinal?

Ive never had opiates to any degree 'cept codeine in medical doses.No desire to take that one in higher doses.

I recently tried corydalis tubers - a 10g decoction and found it very pleasant.

Ive also tried MItragyna leaves - 2 fresh eaten and had definite effects

What exactly would i expect of this plant?

Hey did you all see doklikits' post re papaverine?

I wonder if there is a species that contains this as the primary opiate?

it's similar,maybe superior to mexican prickly and prob easier to grow,may grow as perenial in our climate.i like it,and have just finished a 50 gm packet,drinking as a tea.

medicinally it seems good for the digestion.

t s t .

A basic extract into a non-polar solvent may be interesting as the quaternary alkaloids(which will not form free bases) are generally not pleasant (probably more bitter as well).