The Corroboree
grantoss

P. Viridis fruit?

Hi everyone, I not so long ago moved from Vic to Nth NSW and my P viridis begun to fruit for the first time ever on arrival here. I have only ever seen pictures of P. Viridis fruit on here and I always see lil berry type fruits, is this a real P. Viridis? I got it from the SAB shop long ago but in the cold climate he never wanted to grow much. Ever since arriving in the Sub tropical climate though she decided to just put all her energy into fruiting and not growing at all. The fruit looks different to anything i have seen and tastes quite sweet and nice. In the pics please excuse the condition of some of her leaves as the locusts went to town so quickly until I was able to hit them on the Waning moon with a biodynamic spray i made up. Look forward to hearing your replies, Cheers and Peace.

post-4867-0-69817800-1298929196_thumb.jp

post-4867-0-65245600-1298929225_thumb.jp

post-4867-0-35239100-1298929256_thumb.jp

post-4867-0-56355100-1298929280_thumb.jp

post-4867-0-69817800-1298929196_thumb.jpg

post-4867-0-65245600-1298929225_thumb.jpg

post-4867-0-35239100-1298929256_thumb.jpg

post-4867-0-56355100-1298929280_thumb.jpg

post-4867-0-69817800-1298929196_thumb.jpg

post-4867-0-65245600-1298929225_thumb.jpg

post-4867-0-35239100-1298929256_thumb.jpg

post-4867-0-56355100-1298929280_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look like a psychotria to me sorry mate,

maybe pepino dulce.

peace,

fyde.

I don't know what you've got there but is 100% definately NOT a psychotria sp.

Thanks Guys, I googled the Pepino Dulce and yes it definitely is one after looking at the flowers and the fruits on wikipedia... I can't believe that the Online SAB shop made a mistake like that.

Thanks Guys, I googled the Pepino Dulce and yes it definitely is one after looking at the flowers and the fruits on wikipedia... I can't believe that the Online SAB shop made a mistake like that.

That seems very unusual been a loong while sioonce I've done an order but never a problem in my past experience , I guess everyones human though

That seems very unusual been a loong while sioonce I've done an order but never a problem in my past experience , I guess everyones human though

It's Ok I live not too far from the Nursery now so will have myself a P Viridis soon... a young one though :BANGHEAD2: it was years ago now that i bought it. It'd still be in my paypal history though I guess.

I don't think SAB stocks Solanum muricatum...

Maybe in the past they have though, I'm not implying you got it somewhere else.

I don't think SAB stocks Solanum muricatum...

Maybe in the past they have though, I'm not implying you got it somewhere else.

I believe both SAB and Herbalistics have stocked at some point

i don't think sab would make any mistakes, like mixing up solanum muricatum with psyhotria viridis!!!

aswell the muricatum is a (semi) annual, so if you say, "you bought it a long tiome ago from sab" it would not have survived that long, murcatum as said, doesn't live long.

i think you ordered one time a viridis and it died and a pepino grew in it's place, and you always thought it's the viridis. muricatum easely selfseeds...

I'm a bit surprised too as I've never heard of anyone receiving a wrong plant, but of course these mistakes do happen from time to time, in any business. No big deal. My understanding is that Torsten is not the picker/packer, so maybe it was at a time when there was new staff starting etc. I guess that to the untrained eye, pepino leaves maybe sort of look like psychotria, maybe.

i don't think sab would make any mistakes, like mixing up solanum muricatum with psyhotria viridis!!!

aswell the muricatum is a (semi) annual, so if you say, "you bought it a long tiome ago from sab" it would not have survived that long, murcatum as said, doesn't live long.

i think you ordered one time a viridis and it died and a pepino grew in it's place, and you always thought it's the viridis. muricatum easely selfseeds...

Well thanks a lot for your Uncanny ability to discern my mistakes from the perfection that is SAB. I wish to make you a bet about solanum muricatum if you will??

So just how long would it survive? cos I have all the proof including my account history and my paypal history and even a plant that is still living. My Muricatum must be some sought of freak then... X-plant or something??

I bought it:

Order #6602 (Payment Confirmed)

Order Date: Wednesday 24 September, 2008

Products

1 xPsychotria viridis Plant [NO EXPORT!]AU$15.00

1 xPhalaris arundinacea 'Picta' PlantAU$4.00

So unless it somehow invisibly died... removed itself from the pot overnight and put another plant the same size in its place then.... u know what? I think YOU must be right.

I never knew such genius and developed ESP possessing folk like you moderated forums. Have you applied for a job with the CIA yet??

To me it looks alive anyway, and damned if plants are that sneaky but I guess I wouldn't know... thank goodness for folk like you who DO know and can answer questions and solve problems for dumb ass, plant killing, unobservant idiots like me.

Thanks Mate!!!

AAAGGGGHHHHH... Freak Zombie Plants!!!!!! Back from the DEAD!!!!

Edited by grantoss

I'm a bit surprised too as I've never heard of anyone receiving a wrong plant, but of course these mistakes do happen from time to time, in any business. No big deal. My understanding is that Torsten is not the picker/packer, so maybe it was at a time when there was new staff starting etc. I guess that to the untrained eye, pepino leaves maybe sort of look like psychotria, maybe.

Thanks Alice, I have met the people at the nursery and they all seem like great people and they are very knowledgeable.

I'm sure that SAB made no mistakes... Corporations make no mistakes because they are dead (hence the name), people make mistakes and they are always forgivable and like you said... No big deal.

Peace.

AAAGGGGHHHHH... Freak Zombie Plants!!!!!! Back from the DEAD!!!!

its after your soul man

oh well...

on another note, Extract of Solanum muricatum (Pepino/CSG) inhibits tumor growth by inducing apoptosis.

Anticancer Res. 1999 Jan-Feb;19(1A):403-8.

Extract of Solanum muricatum (Pepino/CSG) inhibits tumor growth by inducing apoptosis.

Virotech Canada Inc., Windsor, ON, Canada. [email protected]

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Apoptosis, or programmed cell death, is characterized by certain distinct morphological and biochemical features. Most chemotherapeutic drugs exert their anti-tumor effects by inducing apoptosis. Therefore, an effective compound inducing apoptosis appears to be a relevant strategy to suppress various human tumors. In a search for tumor inhibitors from various kinds of plants, we found that extracts from Solanum muricatum (CSG) can inhibit tumor growth both in vivo and in vitro by inducing apoptosis.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: A lyophilized aqueous fraction extracted from Solanum muricatum (CSG4) was used in this study. The human cell lines tested include: prostate (PC3, DU145), stomach (MKN45), liver (QGY-7721, SK-HEP-1), breast (MDA-MB-435), ovarian (OVCAR), colon (HT29) and lung (NCI-H209) cancer cells; NHP (prostate), HUVEC (umbilical vein endothelial cell), and WI-38 (lung diploid fibroblasts) normal cells. The cell survival was determined by either Cell Titer MTS cell proliferation kit or trypan blue dye exclusion assay. The apoptosis was analyzed by (a) apoptotic morphology by light microscopy; (B) DNA ladder formation; © PARP cleavage assay.

RESULTS: a) CSG possesses selective cytotoxic activity against all the tumor cell lines being tested. The LD50 value is 561-825 micrograms/ml. B) CSG showed a much lower cytotoxicity to NHP, HUVEC and WI-38 normal cell lines with LD50 value being 2.8-3.2 mg/ml, which is 3-6 fold higher than on tumor cells. c) The in vivo study demonstrated that injection of CSG (100 micrograms) directly into tumor mass can reduce the tumor volume dramatically in nude mice inoculated with MKN45 gastric cancer cells. d) CSG-mediated tumor growth inhibition is through induction of apoptotic cell death, as manifested by (a) typical apoptotic morphology; (B) DNA ladder formation; and © PARP cleavage assay.

CONCLUSION: Taken together, the present study suggests, for the first time, that CSG may represent promising new chemical entity which preferentially targets various tumor cells by triggering apoptosis.

PMID: 10226574 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

can't figure out how to turn off the smileys haha

peace.

its after your soul man

Hahaha Thanks Neo, humor greatly appreciated... On a serious note though I STABBED that zombie necrophile bastard right through the heart with a wooden stake after reading the responses then littered it's corpse with Garlic cloves.

Won't be hearing from that living dead plant again in a hurry brother.... :uzi:

oh well...

on another note, Extract of Solanum muricatum (Pepino/CSG) inhibits tumor growth by inducing apoptosis.

can't figure out how to turn off the smileys haha

peace.

Thanks too man I am happy to have such a plant in my collection that will smash cancer.

A really great piece of info there, I'm gonna do some more research on that one... Cheers

For everyone else, I wanted to let everyone know that SAB has been great in helping me rectify this mistake... Nothin but love for the almighty, all perfect SAB... from the heart yo!!!

haha, I wish I would have seen this thread sooner, but only found out about this after grantoss popped into the nursery today.

what can I say? well, despite the confidence placed in us, mistakes do actually happen. we don't usually make labelling mistakes, but it is certainly possible to make packing mistakes. in fact we make a packing mistake every few months. that's nearly unavoidable with the number of plants we mail out.

grantoss, one thing I didn't ask you was if the plant had a label and what it said on the label. We've only ever had one labelling mistake with plants that have been sent out and it was something rather obscure, unlike these two species.

and yes, the one you got is a pepino. They are great for pickling when unripe, and taste a bit like honeydew melon when ripe. very prolific.

may I also suggest for anyone who has a complaint/question like this to [also] email or PM me. I don't mind such issue being discussed in public, but it would be nice to know about them. I could have sorted this out with the first post.

grantoss, one thing I didn't ask you was if the plant had a label and what it said on the label. We've only ever had one labelling mistake with plants that have been sent out and it was something rather obscure, unlike these two species.

and yes, the one you got is a pepino. They are great for pickling when unripe, and taste a bit like honeydew melon when ripe. very prolific.

may I also suggest for anyone who has a complaint/question like this to [also] email or PM me. I don't mind such issue being discussed in public, but it would be nice to know about them. I could have sorted this out with the first post.

Actually it did Torsten... it had the little white plastic tag with "Psychotria Viridis" written on it. I displayed it proudly for the first few repots and eventually lost it. Anyone that came over I would take them through my plant collection and show it off BANGHEAD2.gif I wouldn't be surprised if you get some orders from down vic way for P. Viridis and have complaints saying "this looks nothing like my friends one" slap.gif Anyway next time i will def contact you first mate. But although I thought I could ID a P. Viridis anywhere after the amount of time I spent with my pepino I still needed help from the kind folk on the forum to ID it and confirm it wasn't what I thought it was.

Peace everyone.

thanks for clearing that up. it's certainly a rare event as our staff check the plants carefully before they go out.

I can only assume that someone that week got a viridis labelled as pepino ;) [in fact I might check the sales records to track that down].

hope to catch up again soon.