The Corroboree
eternalmind

Ibogaine Treatment

Hi All,

Please excuse this post if this topic has already been covered. I was wondering as to the legal status of Ibogaine treatment in Australia - particularly Victoria. I am aware of the general legal status of Ibogaine, but there is not much info on whether it can be used in therapy for addiction in Australia.

I do wonder what the parameters would be for the commercial growing of Iboga - and extraction of Ibogaine - and whether it could be legally sold to clinics and/or individuals for personal use... but then I guess it's not often one sees "Ibogaine for Sale".

Thanks for any suggestions!

eMi

Edited by eternalmind

Hi All,

Please excuse this post if this topic has already been covered. I was wondering as to the legal status of Ibogaine treatment in Australia - particularly Victoria. I am aware of the general legal status of Ibogaine, but there is not much info on whether it can be used in therapy for addiction in Australia.

I do wonder what the parameters would be for the commercial growing of Iboga - and extraction of Ibogaine - and whether it could be legally sold to clinics and/or individuals for personal use... but then I guess it's not often one sees "Ibogaine for Sale".

Thanks for any suggestions!

eMi

I was going to order an Iboga plant from the store this week; who wouldn't want 'the oldest plant known to mankind' in their collection. Seems to me to have biblical implication :)

The only thing that stopped me, was this annoying 'temporary living arrangement' I have, and the fact that I already have the two Khat trees doomed to spend their early lives in plastic pots, so another massive tree that can't grow to it's full potential depresses me a bit :(

--Jason

I would think any extraction and distribution would be as illegal as any other scheduled plant though.

• Like 1

I would think any extraction and distribution would be as illegal as any other scheduled plant though.

Hi Yogi,

I assumed as much in terms of extraction and distribution. But if Ibogaine treatment is legal, then one would think that it would be possible to get a license to grow, extract and sell like other plant extracts... unless these things are specifically reserved for the pharmaceutical industry... but I did see a manual for Ibogaine extraction meant for clinics that want to extract their own Ibogain...

Any thoughts?

According to the stores site (http://shaman-austra...cPath=21_35_110)

Important legal information for Australian customers:

1) The import of ibogaine is specifically prohibited under Schedule 4 (import regulations) of the Customs Act. Under the definition of the law ANY material containing the listed substance is deemed to be that substance. Hence, all ibogaine containing material is a drug prohibited import (I know this from practical experience!!). However, there are no restrictions on possessing ibogaine containing material, seed or live plants in australia, except that pure ibogaine may not be sold or possessed as a therapeutic product without prescription.

NOTE: Under customs law the importation of 1g of ibogaine is equivalent to importing 1g of heroin. The importation of 100g of iboga bark is equivalent to importing 100g of heroin. The importation of 1g of ibogaine dissolved in 100ml of water/alcohol (eg a tincture) is equivalent to importing 100g of heroin.

..you've probably already flicked through that, but there's obviously no issues growing as much as you like, or selling the plant. But what kind of liscensing you'd be required to have in order to produce *raw* Ibogaine - and how hard it'd be to obtain the said liscense - is beyond me. I imagine it'd be about parallel with running a poppy field for farming Morphine; if gaining a liscense to grow that was easy, hell we'd all be growing our own little morphine/codeine farms :)

Edited by Yogibear

I was going to order an Iboga plant from the store this week; who wouldn't want 'the oldest plant known to mankind' in their collection. Seems to me to have biblical implication :)

The only thing that stopped me, was this annoying 'temporary living arrangement' I have, and the fact that I already have the two Khat trees doomed to spend their early lives in plastic pots, so another massive tree that can't grow to it's full potential depresses me a bit :(

I stand corrected! I didn't know it was only just over a meter tall. ..I can order one if that's the case. I don't know why I assumed it'd be a mango-sized monster-tree. Mmm.

• Like 1

I stand corrected! I didn't know it was only just over a meter tall. ..I can order one if that's the case. I don't know why I assumed it'd be a mango-sized monster-tree. Mmm.

Yes, this confused me also. I did read somewhere that it can actually grow between 2 and 10 metres! But I think that would be rare if it's true. Though I am really not sure. Shaman Australis do probably know their Iboga though!

As far as i know ibogaine is basically prescription level as far as scheduling goes (raw ibogaine and extracts). Th section you quoted from the webstore is to do with importing and exporting, so its different if its already in australia.

Also, Iboga plants seem to grow as a small shrub from what iv seen (pictures, posts online etc), that sort of ends up sprawling out a bit. I have two in pots, and they do grow quickly (especially the roots) and need to be repotted often, but i doubt keeping it potted for a couple of years will do any serious harm. In victoria you will need to keep them indoors from about early to mid autumn, because they dont do so well even when its a bit cool.

Id imagine it would be possible to run an iboga clinic in Aus, but everything would need to be manufactured here too. Ibogaine is not FDA approved though, so its unlikely that would last and would probably result in iboga plants being banned

• Like 1

Id imagine it would be possible to run an iboga clinic in Aus, but everything would need to be manufactured here too. Ibogaine is not FDA approved though, so its unlikely that would last and would probably result in iboga plants being banned

We do not want that!

Nope.

I wouldnt recommend using it at all really, unless you really know what your doing and ignore potential legal consequences, but id say the way to go would be to grow your own and research it thoroughly while you wait for it to grow. They are an interesting plant as it is - both of mine have had the leaves go yellow and fall off until its just a twig sticking out of the ground, then suddenly after a couple of weeks looking like they are dead, start growing again. When that happens they seem to grow a lot better too. They would also make a nice shrub to have in a pot on a shaded patio or something.