The Corroboree
gogogadget

my first loph seedling!

well after a week of thinking i had stuffed something up my first lophophora seedling has just sprouted (hopefully more on the way) am stoked, now lets hope we can get some more to pop up :)

now the fun begins , just don't get too attached to it ,as watching it melt into a ball of fuzz will be even more difficult to bare... get you self some fongarid pronto..

http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1&&sa=X&ei=2zdXTd-JBpGgvQPk-PD2BA&ved=0CDEQBSgA&q=fongarid&spell=1&biw=1024&bih=537

i cant seem to find that @ bunnings perhaps its under another name or maybe theirs someone out their in oz-land who can help me out with a ant fungal spray recipe, thanks for your tips.

also some recommend not to use that particular anti-funga-side http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13548

on that does anybody know a good organic rot neutralizer.

"Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:18 PM

Undergrounder, you can safely use food grade sulfur or copper oxychloride (from any BigW gardening section) as a powder fungicide. H2O2 I doubt will do the trick. "

wonder if their have been any major advances in what people are using since this date...

Edited by gogogadget

*thumbs-up* .. Congrats :)

I have no cactii whatsoever, but I DO know the annoyance of Argyreia Nervosa seeds rotting to death on me :)

What medium do you grow them in? Just sand?

My personal favourite growth substrate, and I would make love to it if it wasn't so scratchy, is the Snow White of the growth-medium world: perlite. wub.gif

Secksy, SECKSY growth medium. .. SO much air gets it, nothing CAN rot.

biggrin.gif

Mitre 10 should have fongarid in there nursery section thats where i get it from pricey little sucker that box tho $22 i paid for it.

I also try not to put any fungal spray on my baby lophs, I try to get them into the air from the moment they rise,with a very filtered sunlight, I use a granny curtain, the lacey stuff that hangs in most grandmothers houses,and only the strong survive, the ones that get fungal infected,usually go to the fungal gods which isnt very many, cos I try to get em out of the humidity tent asap and water them very carefully, like performing nano-surgery(i use a pipette & the occasional spray).Ive also tryed a spray made by yates called fungas gun(think its for roses or ornamentals I think im not sure, ive used that watered down and the nano-yotes were fine, but i mainy rely on air and precison timing for the watering of them, to much air they dry out,to much water they rot.Fluro lights are good as it helps em come along abit faster as is a mini hothouse as it has more air inside then a small humidity dome or tent.I also like product they sell at the hydro shops called superthrive, it works for me, but is always better to dose less then recommended as this stuff is quite concentrated and ive heard its high in nitrogen(not to sure)its like vitamins & hormones for plants, I grow everything with superthrive, I love the shit......

keep us updated, im interested to see how you go without fungicide...

While I haven't used fongarid on lophs, it has saved me a few plants that otherwise would have been lost. I bought in at bunnings for about $16 and found it in pest control.

thanks for all your reply's, i've opted to use cactus mix/perlite ground/coarse sand from the yard, i sprinkled circles of sand and placed seeds on top then sprinkled sand to cover, covered with glad wrap with one finger air hole (i couldn't bring myself to enclose it but i now know different), i just checked on them and i have three pop up now i hope i have good success rates as this will help cope with fungal loss, ill pop down to the shop tomorrow although i doubt i have a mitre 10 close by i might be able to work something out, thanks for the tips about not letting them dry out and bringing them to normal atmosphere asap, these are good tips intend on using, will keep you all posted with pics as soon as the wrap is off i also have a.alata, a. acum, a. obtus, l. verosa, coleus, and E. Gerard, all seeding I'll snapshot as well,

they are in my bathroom sitting on the spa under the warm lights (the special ones that heat you up) although one bulb has died so i have the option of using 1 light or 2, or all three, pretty good heating choices 'm also opting for the as little moisture as they need remembering they don't like wet feet and giving fresh air daily should help keep fungus down, thanks guys and chat soon.

Edited by gogogadget

So, how many days exactly did it take? I had two lophs germinate in three days and I was so impressed but then the wind blew my greenhouse over and I lost everything although I managed to rescue my two babies. I planted some khat, san pedro and bridgesii seeds under a week ago and I have still not seen any growth yet and like you I worry and hope that all will be well. I hope at least some germinate.

I'm trying to get my hands on some cheap loph v caespitosa seeds.

well as it turns out the kids and cat have attacked the plates twice but the seedlings still prevail, i picked up some khat seed today (thanks uda) i'll be planting them as soon as i acquire more soil and worm castings i think i'm due some syrian rue and other things soon, the next few months will be very picture heavy.

ps, i think it took about 4-5 days after i realized i needed a small amount of neuts they popped up :)

Edited by gogogadget

fucking up is great for a learning tool...

fucking up is great for a learning tool...

True that, I struggled with Lophs at first , but after a few years of germinating them i cant believe the problems i had to start with. :scratchhead:

just found this info on the web i might give it a g, apparently people use it with cacti seedlings and have great results...lets hope, i was trying to go organic but meh.

Coriander Spray

Boil equal parts of coriander and water for ten minutes. Strain and bottle. This is suitable for spider mites and aphids.

hortico rose dust - for fungacide

Edited by gogogadget

ok sorry for the delay on updates, i've just had a new tattoo done on my hand, fuck it hurts, anyway on with the update....

i ended up buying some ecorose

Eco Rose Info

i now use a very weak solution of this and thrive (ill be changing to seasol once a little bigger and have been mulched with rock or perlite) just a tip my bonsai teacher told me, thrive and seasol are better used together as they activate each other, i've been using it with great results for years, ill update some clearer pics of the lophs and other seedlings hopefully tomorrow my plants thank everyone for their help :) they'd be fucked without it, Regards, Ando.

Bloody cat ate all mine!

I'm with ya cappi :wink:

this my loph that gogo gave me,seems to be doin well

post-6697-0-49990200-1305041200_thumb.jp

post-6697-0-49005400-1305041316_thumb.jp

post-6697-0-49990200-1305041200_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-49005400-1305041316_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-49990200-1305041200_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-49005400-1305041316_thumb.jpg

any more updates gogo??

not looking good anymore but ill take an update today of my baby's, theirs actually only one seedling left and it doesn't look happy after this cold, time to pop some more in after winter, that being said i cloned my last 4 onto a pereskio and on took. :bootyshake:

my baby has been sitting under a halide now for warmth and light