The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ozzy

swapping poppy seeds

i have different types of poppies i have grown myself and are viable seeds,if you want to swap email me.

i'm looking for hen and chicks. have turkish commercial, persian white, glaxo, india raj, giganteum, light and dark pink paeony, etc.

i have sent you an email

[This message has been edited by ozzy (edited 01 September 2002).]

Guest reville

What is it with those Glaxo's?

some spilt seed must have come up and its quite strange in that it is Hairy.

I always figured it must be some wierd genes that came over when they crossed it with P bracteatum to get the thebaine into the strain

yep, i noticed the hairs last season. i intend to give them a more fertile soil this year and i'll see what they're capable of.

what type of fertilizer do you lot find is the best for poppies if any, i just put all my kitchen waste and other odds and ends in my patch and find they pump.i also have a big compost heap i turn in every 6 months and everything i grow comes out great.what do you people recomend

Last season I got lots of 'hairs' on a patch that were grown from supermarkt seeds.

BTW what are the Glaxo's.

As for fertilizing I usually just give them regular liquid feeding of miracle grow or thrive while they are still in lettuce stage.

I don't give em much once they start to get taller in readiness to flower.

It also helps ( for me anyway ) to topdress them with compost/sand mix when they are really small so they become more solid in the ground.

hello all

to fertilise poppy don't hesitate to use P2O5? they like that and you could find it in natural fertilizer.

i have some french wild poppy called "oellette" if you're interested.

and if i could: i am interested in persianwhite and india raj.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that ornamental poppies could be distinguished from the good 'uns by features like hairy stems, serrated leaves, etc. However, nothing is turning up on the search engine. My immediate problem is that I want to weed my cabbages, if you get my drift. My cabbage seed is a mix of legacy stuff that has come from everywhere, and so I am expecting multiple strains. Some of the leaves are so highly serrated as to possess a triangular arrow-head at the tip, and these I suspect of being invaders. Has anyone seen such a Pap. Som. before?

Guest reville

Re hairs

Of all the seed sent to the seedring the only ones with hairiness seem to be the glaxo (bag from grocery store with glaxowellcome insignia on it) and the seeds labelled turkish.

Ive seen juvenile somnis but not mature ones.

From the pics it looks impossible to differentiate from the paeonies except at flowering.

How do they define 'paeony poppy'? I mean can you have a single paeony and a double somni?

Im still a bit confused on all this. Ill post pics of my Paeonies soon. magnificent Double frilly pink blooms on 1m plants and fat Alkaloid devoid pods...Cant have it all in this day and age i guess frown.gif Notice the paeonies come mostly in pinks? Id like to have a paeony thats purple or even better a cross that gives for exaple white with red centre or the otherway around.

We have seed just in of a possible purple paeony mutant - thanks Garret !

There was a wild 'spikey' pink , like a giant carnation , at freo comunity gdns last year but some one picked them before the seedheads matured hence none at the seedring. Anyone know of this one?

i have a large crop of PINK peonies growing this year and i thought they were very comon.the 4 base petals are pink with purplish eyes and the rest of the flower is carnation like,is it anything special.

paeonies also come in a white but i haven't seen one for some years now.

Guest reville

Any one watch the doco on Afghanistans poppies?

The were stunning - and there was a suprising diversity of colours.I especially likedthat deep maroon coloured one - itd be nice to cross that into a paeony style flower.

Ozzy that paeony sounds very much like the one the seedring has.

were do i find this seed ring,and now the more i look at my peonies the surer i am that they are more RED than PINK or a cross beteen the two.any way what is the seed ring about ?

hy,

i don't think you could have a simple paoeny or a double somni.

a paoeny is a somni with a flower who look like a paoeny.that's why it'is call paoeny poppy.

Hey guys

I have Tasmanian commercial, White Knight (feathered white peony), Turkish commercial and some seeds from India and the Netherlands.

I would like to trade or buy some viable seed from other strains.

Please send me an E-mail if anyone is interested.

peace

Guest reville
Originally posted by VIN'S:

hy,

i don't think you could have a simple paoeny or a double somni.

a paoeny is a somni with a flower who look like a paoeny.that's why it'is call paoeny poppy.

So is that the only difference? The presence or absence of th edoubl eflower structure?

Guest reville

Yes i am interested in the white knight seed for sure. Also that dutch strain.

The seedring probably has some seed you'd like. [email protected]

Ozzy- the AFSR or Australasian free seedring is a collection of donated seed that supplements what is offerred by online Ethnoboatnical companies. Its what happenned to my collection when it got too big for me to safely say i could manage that much biodiverity on my own.