The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

trades in free print thread

Hey guys, i noticed it seems as though we are getting quite a few trades with only one or two posts in this thread. I was just thinking Maybe it would be best if limited trades to member with a certain number of post or something similar.

We really don't want the forum copping heat from one of us sending a print to a 12 yr old kid or something like that. I also think a member with only a couple of posts may not follow through with a trade as they dont really have a reputation to uphold.

I mean im all up for giving free prints out to the community even people with limited posts, but we do have to be careful.

That's a good point. However, if you are not breaking the law then there should not be a problem. The sucky thing about being a new member is that you want to get involved in the scene but it's hard starting off if you have no contacts or plants or prints to trade = /

So if your only studying the prints then they're legal in oz?

Hey guys, i noticed it seems as though we are getting quite a few trades with only one or two posts in this thread. I was just thinking Maybe it would be best if limited trades to member with a certain number of post or something similar.

We really don't want the forum copping heat from one of us sending a print to a 12 yr old kid or something like that. I also think a member with only a couple of posts may not follow through with a trade as they dont really have a reputation to uphold.

I mean im all up for giving free prints out to the community even people with limited posts, but we do have to be careful.

i agree with this im supposed to be doing a trade but a member who has only 3 posts,hasnt sent me my spores or replied to my question as to if they had been sent,that was on the 16th,i understand he may be busy,but my trade is being asked of me now,without receiving my spores,im being asked to send my spores of which i dont have a lot,without first receiving what i requested,i know im kinda repeating myself,but now i feel i have to send my spores to keep my karma cool ,but without adding to my stocks,whats a bloke to do????:BANGHEAD2:

i agree with this im supposed to be doing a trade but a member who has only 3 posts,hasnt sent me my spores or replied to my question as to if they had been sent,that was on the 16th,i understand he may be busy,but my trade is being asked of me now,without receiving my spores,im being asked to send my spores of which i dont have a lot,without first receiving what i requested,i know im kinda repeating myself,but now i feel i have to send my spores to keep my karma cool ,but without adding to my stocks,whats a bloke to do????:BANGHEAD2:

Maybe you could take a scraping or a small sector from the print you are sending out if the member that's going to receive it is cool with the idea.

It doesn't take much to be able to study a print so if it's done in a clean environment it shouldn't make much difference.

I say still send your print out and let karma sort it out, someone here will take up the slack and make sure you don't miss out.

We can't let a few slackers ruin it for everyone.

[quote name='Magicdirt' timestamp='1295941881' post='287197'

I say still send your print out and let karma sort it out, someone here will take up the slack and make sure you don't miss out.

We can't let a few slackers ruin it for everyone.

Yeah i agree with that 199%, but im more talking about one of us sending a print to someone who may not be appropriate to have it. I think our only control over that is having a post limit to try to gauge a person and if they are going to hang around and contribute a .

Yeah i agree with that 199%, but im more talking about one of us sending a print to someone who may not be appropriate to have it. I think our only control over that is having a post limit to try to gauge a person and if they are going to hang around and contribute a .

Well I'm pretty excited about growing shrooms and I'm only new here. I just need to reply to threads like this to get my post count up :P But at the minute I'm trying to stay quiet and read and learn rather than offering up an ill informed opinion. Although in the middle of March that will all change, moving into a place with a two car garage with lots of space. Oh no, I don't know if it has much light though...could be an issue! Maybe under the deck, with just some slats of light getting through. Oops, thinking out loud.

I do appreciate your duty of care with regards to potentially young members though.

yeah, i haven't received any reply from a member with one post.

I'm pretty sure PMs aren't allowed until the user has 5+ posts or something like that.

really?

dude isnt it about spreading the good word about fungi?

obtuse went out on a limb and said to me "alway happy to share his funguy attitude about funguy"

so thanks obtuse your prints made my wife ecstatic? :)

ta bro

Ahh i think you could be onto somthing there mr danger.

I am all up for spreading spores please dont get me wrong. This issues just got me thinking about us sending spores to people that may not be appropriate to have them.

If something did go wrong it could bring a bit of heat on the whole forum.

I'm pretty sure PMs aren't allowed until the user has 5+ posts or something like that.

I don't think I've clocked 5 posts and I've definitely (and gratefully) PMd and got replies. So nup, I don't think there's a 5 post minimum.

Ahh i think you could be onto somthing there mr danger.

I am all up for spreading spores please dont get me wrong. This issues just got me thinking about us sending spores to people that may not be appropriate to have them.

If something did go wrong it could bring a bit of heat on the whole forum.

in retrospect, .....i agree with the above commentary.

but how is one to truly know that the recipients intentions are of pure mind and heart. hmmmmm.

personally speaking, i've posted some ridiculous stuff in these forums but have still managed to conduct trades and giveaways to extremely well deserving people.

hmmmmm. Maybe a 'trade scorecard' as a subset of a members profile?

dunno? I think Amazonian had some musings on this question in another forum.

I'm still trying to get a sense of the appropriate attitude to adopt - how much paranoia about the recipients' intentions is warranted, and how to insulate individual people against the occasional no-show, etc.

Maybe a not-for-profit central dispatch / library would be cool. Like a "guild" chest in WOW, if you've ever played it ... people could add / take spore prints from it (via mail, of course), on the proviso that they add at least as many prints as they withdraw - the aim being to keep the library as complete as possible. A public scorecard could be kept of the number (though not necessarily any other details) of prints added vs removed, so social pressure should keep the system from being abused too much if it's set up right. Similar to a private torrent tracker with a ratio requirement, as it were ...

It'd be a bit of work, and some additional postage expense, for one or more (trusted) persons to run the library - check and send the mail, etc. It could make enough money to pay for its own administration by selling a combination of print + membership; this would ensure all members have something to trade from the beginning.

I don't know if it's viable, but I love the idea of a communal library of spore prints - some dusty old room with the genetic blueprints for edible and interesting fungi stacked to the ceiling, and some enthusiastic, silver haired man in a tweed jacket cataloguing, filing, and sending them around the country to anonymous microscopy enthusiasts and gourmets.

This way if someone is specifically after say Shitake mushrooms, there's hopefully a good chance it'll be on file, they can pay $40 and get started. Then they might contribute three Shitake prints back later, to swap for an Oyster print - so hopefullly over time, the library will end up with quite a lot of genetic diversity.

Just thinking aloud.

Edited by mycophage

I'm still trying to get a sense of the appropriate attitude to adopt - how much paranoia about the recipients' intentions is warranted, and how to insulate individual people against the occasional no-show, etc.

Maybe a not-for-profit central dispatch / library would be cool. Like a "guild" chest in WOW, if you've ever played it ... people could add / take spore prints from it (via mail, of course), on the proviso that they add at least as many prints as they withdraw - the aim being to keep the library as complete as possible. A public scorecard could be kept of the number (though not necessarily any other details) of prints added vs removed, so social pressure should keep the system from being abused too much if it's set up right. Similar to a private torrent tracker with a ratio requirement, as it were ...

It'd be a bit of work, and some additional postage expense, for one or more (trusted) persons to run the library - check and send the mail, etc. It could make enough money to pay for its own administration by selling a combination of print + membership; this would ensure all members have something to trade from the beginning.

I don't know if it's viable, but I love the idea of a communal library of spore prints - some dusty old room with the genetic blueprints for edible and interesting fungi stacked to the ceiling, and some enthusiastic, silver haired man in a tweed jacket cataloguing, filing, and sending them around the country to anonymous microscopy enthusiasts and gourmets.

This way if someone is specifically after say Shitake mushrooms, there's hopefully a good chance it'll be on file, they can pay $40 and get started. Then they might contribute three Shitake prints back later, to swap for an Oyster print - so hopefullly over time, the library will end up with quite a lot of genetic diversity.

Just thinking aloud.

I freaking love it! I had the same visuals you did, even before you described the old man shuffling through the catalogue. The Dewey mushroom system.

It could be a difficult task to organise orders with actual postage but do we know anyone who can code an online store? lol

Oh and I think the first print should be free, but when you contribute you have to send back 2 (or three as you suggested). But your first free print can only be a selection from say 5, then the more you give, the more obscure you are allowed to take. Genetic diversity could be an issue, you'd have to state what the parent spawn was when you submit, so the lineage could be traced :P

hahaha, ridiculous over thinking from me.

It could be a difficult task to organise orders with actual postage but do we know anyone who can code an online store? lol

I could easily manage the coding involved for an initial release over a couple of weekends, though I'd prefer to avoid PHP (which this forum is written in) and make it more or less a stand-alone app.

I'm not sure if I'd want (on an ongoing basis) to manage the deliveries though, and in any case I don't think I have built enough trust here to be responsible for all the prints. Obviously, if the person responsible for keeping the contents of the library suddenly disappeared with all the prints, it'd be a sad day for everybody involved.

Taking that, and the likelihood the library would want to charge membership or otherwise have a financial life into account, I'd say it should ultimately be registered as a not-for-profit NGO, with it's own bank account, legal ownership of the spore prints, and its own tax returns. Setting this up, and keeping it rolling, would take a bit of doing, and it's not stuff I'm interested in signing up for. I can't even manage to do my own tax returns in a timely fashion. It'd also ideally be someone who's been around for a while and is generally trusted here.

All that's a bit of a pain in the arse though, and might be best done after a 6 month trial. If anyone with the credentials (i.e., trust and support of the community) and willingness steps forward as Librarian*, I'd be willing to deal with the web side of things.

* I'd suggest that this person should probably not be engaged in doing anything legally questionable at their place of residence, etc. - in the event the library were to come under scrutiny, it wouldn't help anyone if the guy running it ended up in legal trouble of their own.

A much simpler subset of the idea outlined above would be a simple escrow.

A & B both send prints (or print and payment respectively) to C. When C receives both, he forwards them on simultaneously.

If either is a no-show, he sends the one that did turn up back, or holds on to it until the next trade.

Pros:

- insulates against no-shows / slackers

- protects members from handing their address out to randoms

Cons:

- requires some effort on part of escrow

- roughly doubles postage costs

The same arrangement would work when selling prints also. I'd personally have no issue paying the escrow a nominal (e.g. $5) amount for the assurances they'd provide, especially since it would probably end up making it a lot easier for people to get started.

After a couple of successful trades, most people would probably be comfortable trading with someone without mediation.

A much simpler subset of the idea outlined above would be a simple escrow.

Yep, I much prefer the KISS policy.

Yep, I much prefer the KISS policy.

+++

No point thinking about anything ambitious until "the simplest thing that could possibly work" has been proven to work.

Well, AFAICT what's needed at this point is for someone to volunteer who's prepared to act as a middleman - someone who's a) trusted around here, B) not putting themselves at risk by doing so, and c) willing to make the odd trip to the post office.

I'd volunteer but at 8 posts I've hardly got the credentials for a).

If someone suitable steps up and it works out, I'm happy to write code / etc help a spore library get off the ground down the track.

Hi guys, love the idea as I too have been stooged over the past month.

A & B both send prints (or print and payment respectively) to C. When C receives both, he forwards them on simultaneously.

If either is a no-show, he sends the one that did turn up back, or holds on to it until the next trade.

To streamlne the process how about when you send in your sample you also include a stamped self adressed envelope.

The librarian then just needs to transfer the spore prints then drop the envelopes back in the post.

I am unable to act as a librarian, but I would happily contribute 6 B+ prints, for microscopy purposes only to get the collection going.

Further to the above: while notion of a non-profit library has it's appeal, there's no reason someone couldn't step in and provide a service to the mycology community at a price.

While I don't see huge profits to be gained - and the fees would have to be reasonable - I'd happily pay for both spore prints (both for microscopic analysis and for cultivation of edibles) and the opportunity to trade prints with other people without the risks associated with dealing with strangers.

Something like $20 for membership, $30 for a print, and $5 from each party per trade thereafter would be enough for some beer money - that could tip the balance in favour of making it worth someone's time, and everybody could benefit from the genetic diversity and escrow services provided - especially newcomers to the field, who often find it difficult to find their first print or two.

I'd volunteer but at 8 posts I've hardly got the credentials for a).

Well you have my vote if your keen to get this going! I can tell by your posts your quite passionate about the subject, go for it dude

Well you have my vote if your keen to get this going! I can tell by your posts your quite passionate about the subject, go for it dude

Well, I probably wouldn't want to do it long term (or advertise), but I'd happily accept a few donations and forward them on to people currently looking for prints - I reckon there's at least half a dozen people at the moment who have asked for PMs and would be grateful. Sending out a few letters is cheap enough, and donations could be anonymous.

If anyone wants to donate, PM me and I'll send my postal address, and in turn PM others who have made enquiries.