The Corroboree
mutant

WTF? How is reputation counted?

yep i totally disagree with the rep system now, in the kindest way i am suprised by the change and find it to be a bit of a kneejerk reaction just because of the abuse of a select few and the whining of a couple, how can you have a objective system if it is counterbalanced.....when there was no rep system it was balanced, now its all positive it is unbalanced, with pos/neg it was balanced................at this early stage i just see the forces that bind us totally out of whack, does this make us the only forum in the world who only believe to accept anything we say in a rating system is positive..............i dunno it just doesnt seem right, just be prepared to accept if your gonna write something regardless what you believe that somebody else might not agree.

santiago, while the majority used the system the right way [in terms of giving points], the majority also misunderstood what reputation actually meant. This is how rep point totals were used to make people more trusting in trades etc. In fact, every time I mention it has nothing to do with trust even the oldest members here are surprised. So that part of it has always been a bit of a problem anyway.

i agree that the total points now have no meaning. a diligently scheming pair of friends can easily increase their points well beyond what a normal member might achieve even with the best quality posting.

The way I see it:

* the total reputation score was completely misunderstood by most members and led to people being trusted wrongly.

* removal of the negative button makes the total score meaningless.

* a misunderstood and meaningless score is pointless to have.

Hence I am going to turn the total score off. The positive button now has the same purpose as the 'like' button on facebook.

Thanks for pointing out that I had neglected to take this last step.

However, as there now is no reputation score, I wonder if I should turn the negative button back on? That way crap posts are quickly marked and give the poster some feedback.

• Like 5

lol, yep, rahli was right...

I guess that with no impact on rep [as there is not rep] abuse will be less likely.

yeah turn neg back on now too.

• Like 1

i remember literally the exact system being in use on forums ten years ago. (the system we had last week).

i never saw it cause all this sooking and misuse and i certainly never saw it lead to complete strangers being trusted with huge sums of money.

i don't know why my point is. i guess this is quite a high traffic forum in comparison.

However, as there now is no reputation score, I wonder if I should turn the negative button back on? That way crap posts are quickly marked and give the poster some feedback.

Oh ,i get it, now we are all equal, shit, and my rep' was up to +100 too, nah, just joking . So therefore, if the neg button was put back on, then it doesn't show up on a persons profile, only on a post, that could work.

but amazonian, the mods and myself can still see everyone's reputation :P

yeah thunder, I am a little puzzled and disappointed at how this went and certainly won't forget who contributed to its demise.

I agree too, if the popularity contest has ended turn neg back on for posts if rated posts is to remain.

We deal with some potent medicines here and now and then someone gives advise that deserves a bit of red in the corner.

Bad advise leads some to stop chemo and use peach pits, and leads others to end up naked and bloody across town after squirting loads of brug up their ass.

but amazonian, the mods and myself can still see everyone's reputation :P

Of course there is still the potential of abuse/missuse of the Negative button,as people might be more inclined to use it knowing that at the end of the day ,they are not damaging someones reputation. But we all know that Torsten will be watching. Also, i think the posative button might get a bit more use too,which may not be a bad thing. Thanks again for all the effort that you put into The Corroboree, Torsten, its like you are trying to keep us all happy. You could have just said, if you don't like it, well theres the door!

:worship:

yeah thunder, I am a little puzzled and disappointed at how this went and certainly won't forget who contributed to its demise.

surly you guys can see it is an inherently flawed system as it tickles & prods peoples ego's & creates a meaningless & divisive sense of superiority & inferiority.

of course if people never misused it then it wouldn't be quite as meaningless & divisive, but a system that awards people with such a prominent badge of honor or discgrace IMO brings members ego's into the equation much more than is appropriate or meaningful on a forum such as this, as i feel this is a place of learning & sharing, not some ego driven popularity contest, social network.. of course there is a social aspect but primarily it's about the sharing of knowledge & if we want to really play ego games we can go to f%$ebook.. i can't help but feel all this begs the question: why would a forum of integrity take such a system seriously in the first place? I mean maybe there was so many problems with it simply for that reason.. it's a silly system that many people can't take seriously...

i think getting rid of the overall personal rating simply takes a lot of the potential for ego games out of the equation & puts the most useful aspect of the system to use, which is the rating of the quality of individual posts, not the rating of the popularity of individual cyber-ego-internet-social-profile's..

as it now stands now i think it's a good system & very appropriate in the context of this forum so i'm personally glad that it came to a head & ended up being discussed..

• Like 2

sdfsdfsfd

Edited by Teljkon
  • Like 1

Mr T should know how to spell "Pity the fool"

I'm afraid that means you must be an imposter, and Torsten is the real T!

P.S. How do you pronounce Teljkon? tel-kon? teh-leh-kon?

Edited by Sheather

mutant-

dood, you need to eat a chill pill. seriously.

you should change your handle to ............puppet.............because you seem to let anybody jerk your strings.

a greek saying : 'those than mess with the bran get eaten by the hens'

sounds like something a pussy would say....:P

on the Homestead we were taught.....

Fuck with the Bull, you get the horns.

perhaps the people who complain reputation DO have an adjenda? just saying...

why else do they care so much?! Its a discussion forum after all.

Edited by C_T

Mr T should know how to spell "Pity the fool"

I'm afraid that means you must be an imposter, and Torsten is the real T!

P.S. How do you pronounce Teljkon? tel-kon? teh-leh-kon?

Hi, Sheather. I was just wondering out of curiosity and nothing more, but why is grammar and punctuation

really important to you? Do you find it hard to read and understand? or, is it just really annoying?

I ask because my spelling and grammar is not the best and I really do not like making people angry.

Are you a teacher?

Gosh no! It doesn't get at me that badly generally (I mean, bad grammar is completely unavoidable these days). That was meant to just be a gentle jibe. I used it last time mostly as an excuse to get out of that thread. It was just getting ridiculous.

Although, when there are heaps of huge blocks of text with little or no punctuation it does get at me. Punctuation is essential to our understanding of written text. It's the difference between the following:

Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse; or

Helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I guess that means that the why of it is that it's just really annoying to me. I always have the urge to correct people's mistakes. I don't normally because it's normally taken rather badly.

I'm most certainly not a teacher, though I'd say my grasp of the English language is far better than most. (My girlfriend just told me that I should be an English teacher.) -.-

Perhaps I should start a spelling and grammar guide thread. :P

P.S. I should add (somewhere in there) that if you have bad spelling and/or grammar, but are making some form of effort to get it right, then I appreciate that immensely. I love to see people try. It really ticks me off only when it's because of laziness.

/massive post

Edited by Sheather

shit, you raise a valid point i have been abusing ... thanks for voicing that sheather, you did good :)

Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse; or

Helping your uncle jack off a horse.

LMFAO

alright I get you:)

you like your punctuation, like I like all my jars of spawn to be all the same size. Its not so important but damn it looks good:)

Umm,Sheather, you forgot to use a closed bracket (if thats the right terminology)to finish off the bit about your girlfriend. :lol::P

Edited by Amazonian

Indeed I did Amazonian. Could have sworn I put that there. Fix now.

I use bracket for (), even though I think it's the wrong terminology. I think I remember hearing somewhere that () are parenthesis and that {} are brackets? Don't quite remember.

Note to self, Amazonian is a cheeky devil.

zelly you're some dayz late dude

I am proud to have contributed in this drama.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that () are parenthesis and that {} are brackets?
...only by Americans.
Brackets are tall punctuation marks used in matched pairs within text, to set apart or interject other text. In the United States, "bracket" usually refers specifically to the "square" or "box" type;[1][2] in British usage it normally refers to the "round" type, which is called a parenthesis mark in American usage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracket

My spelling isn't the best & i often use the spell check feature, but i hate the way it gives U.S spelling.

Edited by nabraxas

...only by Americans.

My spelling isn't the best & i often use the spell check feature, but i hate the way it gives U.S spelling.

Me to and now I get more confused cause I forget if its the US or UK version of a word..I'm so confusedwacko.gif