The Corroboree
mutant

WTF? How is reputation counted?

US spelling is annoying. All the 'z's and dropped 'u's.

Even though I've designed an optimised written English not so long ago, that American English is a little closer to than real English. But then, you have to add tons of vowel sounds or use the IPA (international phonetic alphabet).

I think I may start a spelling/grammar/common misconceptions thread sometime either today or tomorrow. Wonder if anyone would be interested?

Wonder if anyone would be interested?

u never know till u try

if you do, please include the plural of cactus which is cacti and not cactuses :wink:

forums should be fora too, but lots of people are using this

Edited by mutant

There are some basic guides around that I can implement, and link them here perhaps.

What are the root components of forum, that makes the plural fora?

And of course I shall have to include unusual pluralisations and such too.

Edit: Will probably make some time soonish, when I have some hours spare to do some information gathering and figuring out what format I want it in etc.

(Is there a way to make an index with text links going to another section on the same page? It would make things much easier if I wish to make additions.)

Edited by Sheather

if you do, please include the plural of cactus which is cacti and not cactuses :wink:

and the singular of species being... species

There are some basic guides around that I can implement, and link them here perhaps.

What are the root components of forum, that makes the plural fora?

And of course I shall have to include unusual pluralisations and such too.

Edit: Will probably make some time soonish, when I have some hours spare to do some information gathering and figuring out what format I want it in etc.

(Is there a way to make an index with text links going to another section on the same page? It would make things much easier if I wish to make additions.)

well, in html there is a way, like on wiki when you click something in the list of topics. from memory it adds a code to the end of the url preceded by a hash, the code (topic3, for instance) specifies to the browser how far down on the page it should load.

Ah yeah, I do seem to remember doing that bit of coding. I'll look it up then.

Does html script work in forum posts?

actually cactuses is found in most english dictionaries as a plural of cactus along with cacti :P

Come on guys!!! I can't understand why any of you are having trouble with finding the correct plurals. The English language makes it easy with just a few simple rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_plural

"Rules" in the English language are more like "vague guidelines that are frequently broken" though...

However, as there now is no reputation score, I wonder if I should turn the negative button back on? That way crap posts are quickly marked and give the poster some feedback.

Why do you need to know wether someone likes a post or not. It gets used far to much for personal opinion and doesn't reflect the overall usefullness of the information. I think you a creating a follow the crowd mentality and not encouraging people to read all the informationa nd think outside the box....

I reckon people will look really closely at highly Negd posts and highly positised posts....

You keep mentioning facebook, do you want your forum to be something like facebook?

Why do you need to know wether someone likes a post or not.

It encourages people to post more of similar content. Becuase we encourage quality posting with substantial content here, this will reflect in the score and hence encourage more quality posting. Similarly, pointless posts will discourage the poster in some cases.

It gets used far to much for personal opinion and doesn't reflect the overall usefullness of the information. I think you a creating a follow the crowd mentality and not encouraging people to read all the informationa nd think outside the box....

It is actually outside-the-box type posts that get the most votes.

You keep mentioning facebook, do you want your forum to be something like facebook?

Whether we like it or not, much of the internet is becoming like facebook. And like any technology it depends on the user group how much quality it represents and how much of it is garbage. Facebook provides lots of options for filtering which can result in a high quality newsfeed. Feedback such as the like and dislike button are one way to steer such content.

Why do you need to know wether someone likes a post or not.

Similarly, pointless posts will discourage the poster in some cases.

But the highly Negd post's will still recieve alot of attention..... people will want to know what it is others disapprove.... So really u might actually be encouraging them.

All attention is attention

Slybacon you would be right if this was a random forum with random people.

Since this is a quality forum with 'quality' people, the feedback is supposed to actually work to advance the 'right' information.

edit: BTW: I went to vote a thread and got a message that I have no right to. Is it a bug, or indeed I am not supposed to vote for a thread? :lol:

Edited by mutant

I think I may start a spelling/grammar/common misconceptions thread sometime either today or tomorrow. Wonder if anyone would be interested?

Yes absolutely, that's an excellent idea.

Yes absolutely, that's an excellent idea.

yes PLEASE. Can you please include my pet peeve... "I would've" vs "I would of". Oh boy that shits me. I can understand people getting apostrophies wrong, but to actually use a completely different word renders a sentence totally meaningless.

Would have or would of ?. What i hate is everyone,even teachers ,say ,SOMETHINK instead of something.

Edited by Amazonian

Would've is would have. "Would of" is a horrible abuse of the English language. As is somethink.

Perhaps I'll have an archaic pronunciation area too. I can't stand people pronouncing wrath as "rahth", rather than "roth".

"If you need any help, come and see myself." bothers me, as does, "Give the money to John or I." The number of times in school I had teachers 'correct' a sentence to that :o Yes, it's petty, but others are voicing their grammar peeves. :P

"yous" would bother me, but I actually feel that the emergence of this word highlights our need for a distinct plural second-person personal pronoun. We used to have "thou" for the singular, but this was ditched and "you" became both singular and plural. Now we are gaining a distinct plural again.

In closing, I would like to leave you with this thought: "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo"

In closing, I would like to leave you with this thought: "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

I love that sentence!

Edit: Added a full stop to correct your quote. :P

Edited by Sheather

. I can't stand people pronouncing wrath as "rahth", rather than "roth".

^ thats me :blush: . Roth sounds wrong. Some people,well, talking for myself, just have not been taught these things.

Sheather, this deserves a new thread. I'd start one myself, but it was your suggestion so you should be the one to bring it into the world.

Edited by Alice

^ thats me :blush: . Roth sounds wrong. Some people,well, talking for myself, just have not been taught these things.

It doesn't matter as long as we is understood... we've got bloody punctuation elitists now....... what next....biggrin.gif I've forgotten more than I learned....

Thank fuck for spell checkcool.gif anyone else out there speak morse code?

this used to be big --. , ..-. it was an abbreviation for --. . - , ..-. ..- -.-. -.- . -..

I could have fun with this instead of negs? So if you ever see me direct a --. ..-. you know I luv yatongue.gif

• Like 2

It doesn't matter as long as we is understood... we've got bloody punctuation elitists now....... what next....biggrin.gif I've forgotten more than I learned....

Thank fuck for spell checkcool.gif anyone else out there speak morse code?

this used to be big --. , ..-. it was an abbreviation for --. . - , ..-. ..- -.-. -.- . -..

I could have fun with this instead of negs? So if you ever see me direct a --. ..-. you know I luv yatongue.gif

ROFLMAO

You could always go FB on the reputation thing: Just get ridda the '-'/negatize button.

You could always go FB on the reputation thing: Just get ridda the '-'/negatize button.

Hey, that's an amazing idea. I bet you no one thought of that. :rolleyes: