The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiraleyes

obtusifolia seeds

they never have any in stock.... or I would have bought them already. I've been chasing austrahort/farrar for 3 years.

just e-mailed them, but no reply yet. if they have any I will buy them and then offer at SAB in packets.

Failing that, I have some tubestock coming early november.

none in stock, but they will try to get some (yeah right, they've said that before).

not harvested

slackers! smile.gif

seems like we need a team of harvesters.

what time of year is harvesting time?

in relation to the amount of seed that is dropped,do many grow from seed that has fallen?

the melanoxylon has bugger all seedlings around the mother trees,but the seed is very viable when scarified.

how old roughly would the trees have to be before bark could be harvested?

7-15 years? just guessing,am i close?

[This message has been edited by spiraleyes (edited 27 September 2002).]

tried to germinate some maples recently from austrahort, seed was somewhat out of date and from several hundred got a nice round figure: zeroish looking. i think they may be another firm that tries to do everything and falls short.

Originally posted by spiraleyes:

seems like we need a team of harvesters.

I used to deal directly with harvesters, but they are a funny bunch and In the end I found it easier to deal with seedcompanies. might have to change that again as that way we have more influence on where the seed is harvested and how fresh it is.

what time of year is harvesting time?

not sure. usually 4 months after flowering. don't expect anythign to be 'normal' this year though due to the el nino.

in relation to the amount of seed that is dropped,do many grow from seed that has fallen?

almost none. most seed is stored in the ground or eaten by critters.

how old roughly would the trees have to be before bark could be harvested?

7-15 years? just guessing,am i close?

obviously, the orlder the better, but I think you can prolbably start pruning branches after 5 years or so.

what a load of crap, it always pisses me that people running a business can be so unproffesional (having nothing in stock for years but still advertising it, selling seed thats not viable, taking your money but not answering emails, etc etc.)