The Corroboree
Auxin

Home grown hair conditioner?

but sweat and bacteria on the skin are natural and layering the skin with all sorts of chemicals isn't.
Thats the way I figure it. We dont just have symbiotes in our guts, we have them on our skin too. Kill off the helpful critters and for a time nasty ones can grow in their place until balance is restored.

I've never once in my life used deodorant and I have no problems, never have. But just for good measure I shave my pits once a month or so in summer because its usually 40°C here.

Thats the way I figure it. We dont just have symbiotes in our guts, we have them on our skin too. Kill off the helpful critters and for a time nasty ones can grow in their place until balance is restored.

I've never once in my life used deodorant and I have no problems, never have. But just for good measure I shave my pits once a month or so in summer because its usually 40°C here.

i never used deodorant in my life either, but than i always sweat lees than most other people.

if i get sweaty, i have a shower and this can happen 3 times a day or more during the hot season, but i use only water without any soap or body wash. if you use body wash or soap a lot you will probably hurt the natural protective coatings of the skin.

i haven't tried the apple cider conditioner, but i hope it will work as my hair tangles up fast and it's a total effort to keep it ship shape.

it sound a bit like, auxin, nabrax and mecalito, you all have wild hair!!

hair, show it, long has got to grow it, your hair...

about the sweating, i once heard a story that violin players use bufo avarius so that there hands are not sweating. they have a box containing the toad, and touch it before the concert starts!

Dude do you know how hard it is to take photo of the back of your head!!

I just tried about 20 times LOL,I'll wait 4 the missus to come home :lol:

My hair gets unbilevably greasy if i dont wash it for a few days. And dandruff can become a problem. But i found an online tasmanian company that makes natural shampoo bars that i could count the ingredients on one hand. The stuff i get from them is the most natural i can find and actually leaves my hair feelings really clean and helps get rid of dandruff. Pm me if anyone wants the site.

But i think a good diet and getting enough minerals and good stuff is the best thing for healthy hair.

cheers

Looks like we shop at the same place Yawning Man :P

Can't wait til I get my act together though and start making my own, gonna save soooooo much $$$$$$

Ah, good stuff meeka. If it's BnB we're both talking about then yeah! Their prices are decent i would say, especially if you look after the bars to get the most of out them.

Shotgun any freebies when you make your own lol.

cheers

yep and will do :) their prices are good its just that i love their soap so much that i buy alot of it!!

I remember reading an article a while back on rooibos and it's positive effects on hair health. Maybe just make a cuppa and save some to pour over your scalp after. :blush:

Since then I have seen rooibos show up in lots of shampoo and conditioner advertising. Sorry, no hope of remembering the link to the article, might be worth Google though. Never tried it myself.

Edited by Dale Cooper

My rooibos plant died :(

...however I've also heard the same said about green tea, and I think some native tribes here use sage, and Okanagan girls use rose leaves. Perhaps any tea with polyphenols in might be good? If so then grape leaves or strawberry leaves might be a viable hair wash.

I suspect all of the above are mainly to fight fungi that cause dandruff and stuff.

BUMP

Was just about to start a thread on homemade shampoos and conditioners as my girlfriend wanted to know if you guys have any other recipies other than the above?

would lanolin be suitable? I'd imagine it's work maybe a little too well and maybe you'd smell like a sheep (insert kiwi joke here) I still stand by my origonal statement that cow poo always leaves my hands feeling loverly. I imagine this could translate to ur hair aswell. But putting cow poo on ur head might be a little to hard to convince people of. Lanolin, while u can't grow it on a plant, and I have no clue how to get it from sheeps wool. It could be considered a natural conditioner IMO. I'd look towards plant oils aswell, some for conditioning and sum for scent.

I havn't used deodorant either in years. Fenris has a good recipe he uses, home made style. I just use high end perfumes, which I prefer to buy the aldehyde based ones, the main constituants are water and alcohol as carriers. then the rest is usual components of essential oils or semisynthetic fragrances, made by modifying the aldehyde/alcohol structure and last time I checked, this community had no problems with personal contact of modifyied aldehydes :P alot seem to contain geraniol :P wonder if it's the same DMMA structure?

Edited by naja naja

Fish oil capsuales as one day ingesting will make the hair grow like a hippie whats left of the hair.

Gentically its called the widows peak which is better the hairs can fall out on top back of head.

There is an ayurvedic recipe for hair care and conditioning...

it is as follows...

Brahmi

Amalaki

Bringharaj

Coconut oil

Neem oil

Black sesame seed oil

Mustard seed oil

Almond oil

I dont know what bringaraj is (eclipta alba) and i wld be interested in more info...

Brahmi is wellll known for hair health treatment...

I use oil once or twice a week when i brush my haair... i use a fair bit, 30mL at a time or so... and brush it through...

sometimes use natural or organic soap to wash it also but only when i have sweated to much and i can feel it being oily and gross... my hair touches my pants and has been growing for about 10 years... i love it, it is my vanity and my precious... i never cut it so its a lot to manage.

i am seriously gleeful to hear the cider vinegar treatment... i will test it on my own head and report back...

the recipe above has conditioned and protected my hair for about 3 years and works perfectly... i used henna shampoo for a while and all sorts of other stuff... but the oil is best.

^this sounds like an ad... but seriously...

Brahmi is a miracle herb.

bless.

• Like 1

imagine if you could buy bacterial cultivars... and use them to innoculate your body to smella certain way.... awesome.

• Like 1

my theory I have held since 18 years old, is that hair needs to be only either, brushed, or washed

when mine was down past my butt, I didn't wash it, BUT, I brushed it with a boar bristle brush, a hundred strokes each day

it is a good way

now it is a little knottier so I wash it but no more often than once a month, with whatever is at hand

I normally first put olive oil and bicarbonate of soda into it, and leave it in for as long as possible before washing, because then no head lice survive,

also the addition of oil before washing, prevents the scalp producing too much oil from being washed

then whatever soap is around, (normally I have a few Christmas gifts of extra soaps from my mother spare) plus apple cider vinegar to rinse it out

but in general, I dropped back to washing only once a month when about sixteen years old, (at first hiding the fact from my mother, hence her continuous soap supplies now), and found my head got less itchy from less washing, and have not washed more often ever since, and that is 27 years worth

plain cold water on top of the scalp is good for the body too in fact:- good for giving up nicotine especially

as for de-odorant, I don't know that I ever used it to get rid of a smell, but only if I liked the smell of an expensive hippy deodorant

but for armpit fungus (that orange stuff that swells up with sweat), cabbage under the armpits gets rid of it

Aloe Vera I haven't used in hair, but makes a good drink, to blend with banana and A2 milk and spinach, . . . good for stamina in strong sunlight, but not good for more often than I can't help but have to cop more sunlight than is good for a pale face

Edited by curaezipirid

I haven't used shampoo or conditioner for nearly two years. True story.

I use bicarb in place of shampoo, and rinse with dilute vinegar. If anyone interested, I'll give youse a rundown.... :-)