The Corroboree
CβL

My pachanois

Alright. I have some new photos. :)

ters1.jpg

This is a Trichocereus Terscheckii if I'm not mistaken. Propagated via cutting.

ters2.jpg

Here is another Trichocereus Terscheckii, seed grown it appears. Vastly different spine sizes. And the spines do not yet appear to curve.

pach1.jpg

This is my first Pachanoi, which appears to have completely changed it's form. I reckon it just had crap soil before, and now it's healthy again. You can tell by the areole spacing how slow it had been growing before.

peru1.jpg

Trichocereus peruvianus flower. Tried to cross-pollinate with some Pachanoi pollen. But I think I stuffed up the pollen collection or freezing, or thawing. I self-pollinated then, as I had apparently failed at the cross-pollination.

HEY BLUNTMUFFIN ( DONT KNOW WHY BUT I REALLY LIKE THAT NAME LOL) oops caps....Trichocereus are not self fertile, also do you have paintshop? cos i hurty my neck looking at your sexy cacti! Who told you that is a T.tersheckii with the short spines ? Nice rocks in NZ , man i wish i could bring back a truckload.

Oh damn. I thought they were self-fertile. I just assumed because Lophs were. Damnit.

Well, I've got another pachanoi flower that's not quite open yet. Maybe I should rip it open? It's on an unrooted cutting, and the flowers generally get savage cases of white fungal growth without being on live plants (IME). This cutting is now rooted, so I think that's the best course of action. Will the pollen be viable if the flower is not opened naturally?

And yes, it is indeed a nice name. It's a bit deceptive though, as I don't like blunts, don't really like muffins especially, and I'm actually quite sharp as opposed to being blunt. :P

Edit: I rotate the images prior to upload, but imageshack likes to turn them back. :/ I prefer to use imageshack, so I don't know if there's a simple solution.

Edited by bluntmuffin

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/t1108-preservation-of-cactus-pollen?highlight=pollen

It said you could keep for 1 year with the method.

I collected 2 samples and test that the method does or does not work.

1st result will come 6 months later and 2nd one will be 1 year later.

Hanazono

1. Asterias cv super kabuto was in flower on 12/07/10

2678909740044113659S600x600Q85.jpg

2. Collected pollen

The photo is the flower after removed pollen

2559366050044113659S600x600Q85.jpg

3. Dryed pollen 24 hours and put it in a gelatine capsule

2920486570044113659S600x600Q85.jpg

4. Put the capusle and moisture absorber in a small plastic bin

2159022580044113659S600x600Q85.jpg

5. Put the bin in a larger plastic box and keep in fridge

• Like 1

Ooh that's good. Did they say how to dry the pollen? Fan-dry? Dessicator? Dehydrator (probably not). I cut off the stamens on my pachanoi flower, and then put them into a small plastic zip-loc style bag, and rolled it tightly, and placed it into the freezer. So I didn't really dry or anything.

And I bought the small-spined Terscheckii from a well-known Auckland cactus grower with links to cssnz. So based on that, I assume it's legitimate. I also saw larger specimens that they had, and the spines get much larger with age. But still not as thick as the spines on the first Terscheckii.

nah just room temp dry, of course not outside in the wind as will blow awaay lol

nice tersheckii up the top!

i would have said that second one was a pachanoi but just heard from a friend who recently got a "short spined terscheckii"

Edited by centipede

Yeah. The grower who I bought the shorter spined one from was actually quite confused at the identification of the first one! So it seems there's confusion afoot as to which is the real form. I think they're both correct. They both have a slightly bigger dip into the growing crown than other Tricho's. They have the same shaped ribs. The areole hair is that same light yellow colour. The spines are a nice canary yellow on both on new growth.

maybe he just mixed up his labels , it happens

Where's Michael. He would know. :P

Bluntmuffin

Very nice pachanois, especially those in post 14

as far as the 'bridgesii's' are concerned, the one pupping and the one rooting horizontally, they seem indeed to be peruvianoid/cuzcoid , as blowng said and not really bridgesii's.

The short spined columnar after the typically smallish terscheckii youngster, is a pachanoid , definately NOT a terschecki - actually it resembles SAB pachanoi "2" , which is a pretty special plant, btw, and it deserves a better name than just "2". The first one seems pretty right and cool as terscheckii go though...

bit>

very sexy, that peruvianoid!

Edited by mutant

yeah mate i think you will find that horizontal log cut is no bridge,looks cuz or somethin just not like any bridge ive ever seen

Yeah, I agree. The reason I agree is because the spines are all oriented perfectly on the large plant (most bridgesii aren't). The ribs are too numerous (although they can get to be this many [8 ribs on the littley], they rarely do). The spines on new growth are full size (biggest giveaway of cuzco). The rib margins are sinuous (huge cuzco trait). So other than spine colour and length being vaguely bridgesii, there's nothing to suggest it is.

However, I now have a very awesome bridgesii from another NZ member. :D

At the moment, I don't keep my camera where I keep my cactuses, so I can't take a photo of all the new cactuses until I remember to bring it.

Okay, so this is the latest set of photos of my cacti. Lovely new growth is apparent since the last few shots. Also, if you have any ID information - please post it.

gallery_7332_400_43411.jpg

I think this is a peruvianus. I REALLY like this plant, and I can't wait to grow it out and later on I think I might even use it for hybridizing.

gallery_7332_400_205689.jpg

This is my first legitimate bridgesii. I think it's awesome. I just wish I could encourage it to start pupping as it's not that stable. Any tips for encouraging pupping?

gallery_7332_400_73772.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is a T. Pachanoi. This plant is legendary. This is about 20% of the plant, which I bought for less than a dollar! It had like 3 big branches, one of which was well over 2 metres.

Any opinions on it?

gallery_7332_400_47175.jpg

In the foreground is my first pachanoi. Heaps of growth since the season started.

gallery_7332_400_15760.jpg

Got these pachanoi earlier on this year, and where the delineation in the glaucous coating is is this season's growth. These are vigorous little guys, and definitely have the capability to grow into a huge tree.

gallery_7332_400_33838.jpg

All the darker green is this season. Only plant of mine to start basal pupping. How do I encourage more to?

gallery_7332_400_47011.jpg

Baby NZ Yowie. I'm pretty sure I've also since terminated the snail which took a bite.

gallery_7332_400_14536.jpg

I think this might be a peruvianus based on the profile and areole size. Any advice would be appreciated. Only that tiny bit of new growth is this season.

gallery_7332_400_100316.jpg

Peruvianus? var. macrogonus? I also hope that my conditions will let it produce those beautiful long spines.

gallery_7332_400_159285.jpg

This is the main gang. There's also the rooting gang (that's all they do, those dirty bastards) and a few others in varying light positions around the house.

Edited by βluntmuffin

Great!!! i love NZ pach... the big fat one looks a bit scopulicola-ish .

Regarding the bridgey pupping, re-potting into a large container of nutritious soil mix usually sets off pups for me.

You might have to wait for spring though...

Here is the rest of that cactus. Maybe this will help to see if it's pach or scop. I think the crown not being sunken, and the number of ribs would point more towards a pachanoi. Also, from memory, scopulicola does not get glaucous?

gallery_7332_400_32305.jpg

Edit:

It does look similar to this one:

http://www.largelyaccurateinformationmedia.com/pedro/fimg/scopulicola.jpg

However, if you look at the baby basal pup, you can see very prominent v-indentation. I have not seen scops do that.

Also, I am planning on repotting that bridgesii next season for sure.

Edited by βluntmuffin

The plants in both Australia and New Zealand never stop impressing me. There appears to be a great deal of variation which I'm not sure is directly from South America or from a lot of crossing of a few plants. Nice stuff.

~Michael~

I think that last one looks like haunacoensis or a juuls giant lookalike.

It's undeniably a patch and a fast and strong growing one too.

Edited by George

Here is the rest of that cactus. Maybe this will help to see if it's pach or scop. I think the crown not being sunken, and the number of ribs would point more towards a pachanoi. Also, from memory, scopulicola does not get glaucous?

Scopulicola can be glaucous.

It can be glaucous and can be not glaucous, it depends on its age and growing conditions.

But your plant can be Juuls's Giant.

Juuls Giant blooming

More for tomarrow night

Edited by BBGONE

bought for a dollar? nice bargain bluntmuffin.

cheers for sharin the pics bruddy

Thanks for the kind words everyone. :)

I have also not considered if that pachanoi could be a Juul's. I'll have to grow it out in my own soil mix and try get it to flower. I'll post back in a few years when I have. Hahaha.

Cool collection & variety mate

How to induce pups in that tall bridgesi? cut the tip. If you think it's unstable, it loosing weight could be good. But sure, it's not the best time for you to cut now.

Be sure to post updates of the yowie! I also got a NZ one at the same size as yours, just rooted, but since season is starting here, it seems I am getting a head start.

cheers