The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
George Simian

The robust greenhood is no longer extinct!!!

That's awesome, not often you hear an organism coming back from extinction. So great that it's on land conserved by Bush Heritage too!

I'm so pleased, too many plants and animals disappear forever as a result of human impact, great to see a good news story.

I couldn't get some of the sites to open so am not really sure of the scientific/ latin name. I know the greenhoods are Pterostylis

but as this one is a 'robust' greenhood I thought it migh be Pterostylis robusta? I only ask because I have two types of Pterostylis

in my area flowering atm and one of those I tentatively identified as Pterostylis robusta but I didn't think it was endemic to Victoria

nor did I know it was extinct. The names are probably different and the two plants may be in the same genus but different

species. If you could let me know it's full name, I'll check it up.

I couldn't even get a photo to load, think there may be something wrong with the net at my end. I'll do some research as soon as it's back.

Sola

I believe it is Pterostylis valida.

Thanks for that, I was starting to think I'd have to fence the area off.

I'll look it up in some of the books I have.

Ive got regular greenhoods in my back yard at the right time of year by the thousand. Bird orchids as well.

hah communicates our ridiculous protocol of existence acknowledgement, get out ya magic makers 'cause there's plenty more on the list to be struck off...and lots to be added...