The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Cady

Smoking at EGA 2010

yep i fount the topic title a bit misleading, maybe better if you put ''thoughts on pot smokers at EGA"

One of the shortcomings of this forum is the lack of one's ability to edit a thread's title once posted.

But on the topic on this thread...

While I think it is pretty stupid for people to jeopardise an event like EGA by openly taking drugs at it, most of the people on this forum would not actually agree with the laws regarding most/all drugs and taking them publicly is just one way people can choose to show how little they respect them. To be fair, having a quasi-sacred closing ceremony last year where bunches of phlebophylla leaves were tossed into a fire and a plant trading place cranked with all manner of dubious botanical material, the folks that run EGA can hardly get up in your face if you choose to light up a blunt. I don't actually think that people should risk an event like EGA by choosing to take drugs at it, as that's exactly what the cops will expect and be looking for, but people have the right to freedom and fear of laws which are there to control us is the worst reason not to exercise it.

Open drug use at EGA adds weight to their bullshit argument

...What? That we should be taking (illegal) drugs secretly? That we need to hide the fact we disagree with the law as it stands because it may offend their law abiding sensibilities, no matter how biased and ill-informed they may be?

It doesn't matter if it adds weight to a bullshit argument. It can be the heaviest bullshit argument ever; it's still a bullshit argument. I don't feel the need to modify my behaviour to appease someones bullshit point of view and I hope it does offend them if that's how they choose to feel.

Sorry for continuing a topic that was originally off topic. I think if we want a proper ega feedback thread we should start a new one because:

a ) this is already in the bitches and gripes and is full of bitches and gripes, it would be better to start a thread solely for discussion on the actual presentation.

and

b ) I want to continue this bitching we're having here :lol:

the laws are unfair, wa waaa :ana:

I agree with what your saying Dude, i'm just talking about use at EGA. I talk openly about my drug use, as a way of showing people all 'druggies' aren't couch surfing fuck ups or whatever. So yeah, straight laced people can whinge and sook and harp on about how drugs are destroying society, when in fact it's the laws designed to protect us are.

Remember, this topic is about drug use at EGA, not use in every day life/society or whatever. I don't give a shit if people spark up in the city, down the street, outside a cafe, fuck yeah, people have every right, but for EGA to become associated with drug use is counter productive to what they/we are working for.

That joint didn't go unnoticed, what if josho had been a twat from the australian christain lobby or something?

cheers

Ba humbug

'Tis that time of year... the sily season?

Can somebody please start a thread about the awesomeness that is EGA?

Comeon peoples make me jealous, remorseful for not having made it, woe is me.

I'll leave you with this.

At my 1st EGA I rolled a joint & sparked it up & was just daydreaming at the front of our camp, I hear a rumblin & look over & ronny's car is crawling along, as he passed by he stuck his head out & said "Your gay", to which I pondered & got quite indignant about but later realized he said "Your brave", the moving car & my tinitus probly a played a role in the distortion, Your brave, I realized referred to the joint I was smoking but I was'nt, no I was smoking a joint of blue waterlilly & passion flower. Anywayz...

haha

so how about 2011 ega?? too soon:) Im planing a drive this time... 6000km here I come.

Im not bringing weed:)

Wow... this really is the bitches and gripes section i see...

I totally agree that it was a selfish and ir-responsible thing to do and it didnt go un-noticed i certainly smelt ganja a few times on both sat and sunday [and fuck did it smell good] ... i felt a little jealous but then i was there to learn and absorb as much info as i could so getting stoned wasn't going to help

now yes people SHOULD have the freedom to do what they like but as its already been said it's a forum ABOUT psychoactive plants not ON them and it really wouldn't help the cause if the media got hold of it...

if i was to smoke any weed i would've definently gone to the park it was a nice place to relax and chill out with other plant heads and not directly linked to either the university or the symposium

i guess at the end of the day we all agree in regards to the laws but we all need to exercise caution and being the open minded bunch we are some of us still need to stop and think outside the square and realise consequences of their actions before they choose to do anything like smoking a joint

as for how awesome it was it was frickin incredible and the highlight for me was def Rick Doblin [and his sexy haircut] but not to forget all the awesome people i had the pleasure in meeting and having incredible discussions with that i personally dont get the opportunity to have in my daily life.

ega 2011 here i come, im going to start saving now and hope to drive over myself!

we are very very fortunate to have an event like this so we all need to respect it for what it is!!!

there is a time and a place for exercising our rebellion of the pot laws and it just doesnt seem smart to me to blaze one up out front of the event your supporting as your also destroying the reputation of it which is a huge contradiction

i mean we all know how the media LOVES to twist the truth!

so I think its awesome that all you guys will never EVER use cannabis or any substance at an EGA event. EVER and EVER...amen

im gonna big eye you at the next event

I think THIS THREAD endangers EGA more than a couple of dudes having a scoob outside the conference.

I think THIS THREAD endangers EGA more than a couple of dudes having a scoob outside the conference.

shit pull the emergency hatch, a thread on some obscure website frequented by mainstream defined weird people is going to endanger a political movement towards the freedom of plants and plant use............er no need to panic quite yet ballzac im sure the EGA will survive this mini wikileak scratchhead.gif

LOL :lol:

u kids are crazzzy.

see what kinda trouble you goddamn stoners cause???

may you all be smitten with much smite.

This thread just gets funnier. I'm glad of its existence. :lol:

it was prob just someone who had to medicate their restless leg syndrome after sitting still for an extended period listening to lectures.....surely the medical use of the erb is acceptable.i cannot sit still for more than one hour without getting leg cramps etc unless i medicate in some way .....opiates or the erb?

or it maybe be someone medicating pain of another sort or some other condition,

judge away.....

t s t .

One of the shortcomings of this forum is the lack of one's ability to edit a thread's title once posted.

But on the topic on this thread...

While I think it is pretty stupid for people to jeopardise an event like EGA by openly taking drugs at it, most of the people on this forum would not actually agree with the laws regarding most/all drugs and taking them publicly is just one way people can choose to show how little they respect them. To be fair, having a quasi-sacred closing ceremony last year where bunches of phlebophylla leaves were tossed into a fire and a plant trading place cranked with all manner of dubious botanical material, the folks that run EGA can hardly get up in your face if you choose to light up a blunt. I don't actually think that people should risk an event like EGA by choosing to take drugs at it, as that's exactly what the cops will expect and be looking for, but people have the right to freedom and fear of laws which are there to control us is the worst reason not to exercise it.

i have edited a title before .....full edit of first post did it....was about 18months ago though so could have been different software...

t s t .

i have edited a title before .....full edit of first post did it....was about 18months ago though so could have been different software...

t s t .

Hmm, I tried that the other day, didn't work. Were you a moderator at the time?

or it maybe be someone medicating pain of another sort or some other condition,

Yeah you guys are just lucky that the perpetrators natrapath didn't perscribe shelving the herb as the most effective administration route to quell pain.

Imagine the field day the Christians would be having then. :bootyshake:

So who won the raffle? Anyone from here?

Some of the speakers can't be seen to be keeping drug consuming company. These are also some of the best and most high profile speakers. The people who decided to consume drugs at the venue were disrespectful to these speakers, but moreso to the organisers who work so hard to attract these speakers to this event. If you just want stoner hippies rambling on stage then the behaviour is appropriate, but if you want to have the types of speakers EGA had this year then a little discretion would be more appropriate. This isn't about YOUR rights or about making a stand, but about supporting the event and the people who organise it.

It irked me at the time, but I thought it would best be dealt with just prior to the next indoor one [2 years is a long time for a stoner brain :wink:]. Seeing that some people still don't get what the problem is I felt I needed to give support to josho and others who do get it.

I get what josho is saying... what I dont get is those who support josho and yet have USED or will USE some kind of substance at an EGA event.

I think its judgemental and hypocritical .

Two (2) big thumbs up though for those who exercise restraint during an EGA conference whether it be out the front of a uni hall or out the back of a property in row Z campsite on a property used by EGA.

Yes its still EGA until you leave the property. Yes you are still keeping company with the speakers on that property. and NO its not OK if the speaker offers you a toke....ITS STILL EGA

Well, all I can add is that I had to sips of beer why attending EGA, appreciate all real reviews in the chill lounge.

There will be a 2011 EGA outdoor but we have no events planned after that and the team will be taking some well needed down time.

The EGA team and myself are very honoured that you all support keeping the EGA image clean.

Thanks so much for all your support everyone.

:worship:

Sorry, I can't take any talk of "drugs" seriously at all.

For fucks sake, almost all of the country is taking "drugs" - why is it an issue at all?

I can say it felt really "clean"! as an event!

Although, I don't personally like pot at all, I can appreciate it is a useful and beneficial herb for many - which is EXTREMELY prevalent in our culture. I personally did not even notice people smoking pot. I guess I just don't have a pole up my ass, or give any credibility to those who do! I mean, it is just such an integral part of Australian culture. (to the point where once, just to give an example, Reptyle and I had bonded with an off duty cop to the point he suggested we get together another time and smoke some "blunts" - of course, we looked suitably outraged and appalled!)

So, I was sniffing tobacco snuff sometimes given to me by others, and at times, chewing really healthy leaves from South America that are very good for the health... but I wasn't able to consume a glass of whiskey bought for me saturday night... that stuff is not good for your health!

btw, EGA was great! Looking forward to the 2011 event!

Julian.