The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Iboga pod germination

We usually stop selling iboga pods in about May and usually get our numbers matched up so that we have exactly as many orders as we have pods. Somehow this year we ended up with a few more pods than sales at the end of May. We also had a staff change at that time. So yesterday our original SAB parcel fairy got back after a few months away and found a box of pods. They had each been placed in a bag with sphagnum moss in may and simply sat in the dark cold office for the last *** 5 MONTHS ***. Each bag now has a number of healthy sprouts in the moss and substantial root systems. The leaves are even light green despite there being no light at all for 95% of the time and only very dim light for the other 5%. There has been no air ciculation, virtually no light, and no nutrients other than what the pod and moss introduced. And yet they are doing splendidly with no mould.

Little troopers!!

To all those people who can't get our pods to germinate and claim they are unviable, maybe just leave them in the bag for 5 months next time ;)

A quote from when I first joined the forums. You gave me alotta shit for suggesting that the germ tech needed to be updated.

LASTLY although it is too late for us, I really should have put something up earlier soz, the best way to go seems to be to leave them in the fruit for eight weeks in the package shaman sends you. After 8 weeks open it up and the fruit should have rotted with little sprouts inside. This way you dont have to worry about all the other shiz.

From this topic "iboga propagation lessons from a disaster" from december 2009.

Just because a few plants made it doesn't mean it is a good method. But you're right, it might be a good method for people who can't get them going any other way. Although it seems it can take more than a few weeks ;)

A quote from when I first joined the forums. You gave me alotta shit for suggesting that the germ tech needed to be updated.

From this topic "iboga propagation lessons from a disaster" from december 2009.

FINALLY vindicated LUL :wink::huh:

Edited by Casuarius
  • Like 2

Edited by Casuarius
  • Like 3

Ahh negative points for sharing my experience with iboga germination, nevermind ill fix that.

Fixed :D

FINALLY vindicated LUL :wink::huh:

I didnt need to be vindicated, I am generally not respected at all and dont really give a shit how any one sees me.

But it was not new info, I had put it up along time ago, and the info has been on other forums for along time. It was not a new discovery and t's suggestion for newbs was already made by me.

I am a newb, so it was info i found for myself and mr.green at the time.

Edited by ref1ect1ons

reflections, you're not getting it. this wasn't a post about discovering a germination technique. It was a post about how these seedlings survived in the dark without rotting for 5 months. I thougth the fact that I bolded it would have drawn attention to the fact.

There are many germ techniques. Generally a tech that gives you less than 30% germination is NOT regarded as a good one, especially when other techniques for the same species can go well over double that. You're right that for some without any experience or with previous failures, this might be a suitable method, but that still doesn't make it a good technique. For example. i can't grow Papavers unless I chuck the seed on a patch of crappy dirt and only then I'll get a few up. Others will grow the same seeds in pots exactly when and where they want at a much higher germ rate. While my method might work, it is hardly a good one.

My post is also for people who are worried that a 3 or 4 weeks mail transit might be too long for the seeds to arrive viable. We have previously had plants returned to us after 11 weeks in transit and they were alive. Now we now that the pods can handle even longer transits.

Edited by Casuarius

Torsten have you noticed much variation in your seedlings at all?

so good to see someone in the tropics finally growing these, although I think there is still the customs problem between PNG and australia, so not much good for us here.

I got a lot of variation in the first 5 plants I grew. That seed was collected from many plants in Gabon so variation was expected. of the initial 200 or more seeds we got 5 plants. 2 of these stood out - one for being tiny, the other for being huge. The huge one was easily twice the size of the rest, so we decided to go with that one for cutting propagation. The plant grown from these cuttings have been the main source of our seed the last few years and this seed has not shown much variability at all. Most of the propagation the last 2-3 years has been from these seeds and they appear quite uniform and similarly large as the parent.

To all those people who can't get our pods to germinate and claim they are unviable, maybe just leave them in the bag for 5 months next time ;)

This is why I thought this was the point of your post, because you finished with this. Also you didn't bold it anywhere. It is possible your post has multiple messages, though I didnt realise this at the time.

I think it's pretty much pointless to continue with this, but whatever you want to do.

Edited by Casuarius

This is why I thought this was the point of your post, because you finished with this.

That was a tongue in cheek comment. Hence the winky. Don't know about you, but I usually do not recommend using any winkied comments as serious cultivation advice.

Just so there is no further confusion: yes, leaving pods in bags of moss can result in a few seedlings [and might be a method of last resort]. no, I do not recommend this as an efficient germinating method.

Also you didn't bold it anywhere.

sorry, I meant capitalised.

haha, that pic is funny. In the right conditions these plants are very hardy. they just need humidity and heat and they'll root from everywhere and grow lush and huge.

lol, I know your being a hard-ass, but I laughed when I noticed the winky, I will take winkies into account from now on. I am not joking when I say I thought your entire post was about this last line, I really don't care for tit for tat games, we are of equal intelligence; I know your ego won't allow you to see this. Still clinging to AGW?, imagine what will happen to your ego when that falls... lol

I knew you meant capitalised, I was just being as hard-ass as you are. Tit for tat.

"I wasn't playing tit for tat", I was merely bla blah blah, if this fails then evade...

Edited by ref1ect1ons