The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jack

Looking for Sceletium tortuosum

anyone able to help me out??

Thanks

Hi Jack,

I have some seed grown plants (SAB sourced) that I can make a cutting from for you.

Torsten is pretty certain his sourced seeds are S. tortuosum.

I'm getting it double checked with the people at the RBG's Melbourne. They have a few of my cuttings and are waiting for them to flower before they can be properly identified.

Still want a cutting or do you want to wait?

Email me.

E D

thanks again for the cutting u sent me ED. i was sure it wasn't going to survive but it's been thru the winter and is starting to enjoy itself now.

That's good to hear. I should have quite a bit of S. tortuosum this year to make cuttings.

If it dies I'll send you another.

Anyone else for a trade?

E D

hi ed, i interested too,should have some seeds you'd be interested in.just got fresh brunfeldsia hopeana and bonodora.have also many other tropane bearers and ipomoea sp.

have you tried it?i get the impression a few other species are at least as active as sceletium.i'll send some of my analogue to you for comparisome if you want.

t s t .

If your willing to pay the price and if its legal to import into OZ, check out "Botanic Art".

hey ed you said you'll send me a cutting when u get one....

so i'll be intrested

what u want for it??

Guest reville

Hey ed i am so keen on this one.Ill swap anything i have for a cutting.

and spikey - sorry to delay,im putting those seeds in the mail to you today.

OK, I'd better start rooting some more cuttings by the looks of things.

Sorry about the ones that were supposed to get cuttings previously, I forgot about it over the winter. You'l be up for the first lot.

Laters,

E D

ps, I'll contact you by email for swaps

Originally posted by brian:

If your willing to pay the price and if its legal to import into OZ, check out "Botanic Art".

Brian, sceletium tortuosum plant is world wide legal, the problem only is that some countries ask for a import licence for living plants (or a healht certificate) beside that most speed carriers like Fedex or DHL do not handle living plants. // sceletium plant itself is very fragile and will not survive a journey of more than 4 - 5 days by mr.Postman.

vrgrAve

OK, I have finally made up my mind and have come to a list of plants I'd be interested in receiving for the S. tortuosum trade:

~Catha edulis (white)

~Humulus lupulus

~Nicotiana rustica or ozzy native nicotiana's

~Datura in(n)oxia or metel, etc..

~Ocimum sanctum (Holy Basil) or other interesting herbs

~Ephedra

~Kava (waka grade)

~Tabernanthe iboga

~Pausinystalia (Corynanthe) yohimbe

~interesting aussie natives

~other seed grown Sceletium tortuosum

~or Sceletium analogues

(this list will be updated)

Plantlets and cuttings are great, seeds will also do especially when appropriate!

Please email me on [email protected]

E D

[This message has been edited by Ed Dunkel (edited 11 September 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Ed Dunkel (edited 04 October 2002).]

I have some cuttings ready.

Could the people interested please send me your mailing details. I have two left, but some more are rooting as we speak for next week.

(Rev, Jack and Mesqualero, I have sent you the cuttings already.)

E D

Thanks ed

Gomaos and TS Tantra, your cuttings are on there way as well.

Hope they arrive savely!!!

E D

thanx ed,i have seeds for n rustica,datura 'tatula' and wrightii,sacred basil and brug arborea and sanguina if your interested.

t s t .

Guest reville

looks like youll need a new wish list soon Ed smile.gif

Guest Mesqualero

I received mine today thanks Ed... I will need your return mail because some of it got wiped off..

Now how do i care for the little baby??

Cool, they arrived. Did they make it throught the postal system alright? They can be a bit fussy in the post, especially if they are unrooted cuttings.

To care for them, easy:

Cactus mix will do for soil. Good drainage so add some sand, but you will have to water them more (especially when young)

Bright sunny spot when older.

Basically grow them under Trichocereus Pachanoi conditions, they can handel quite some moisture and feeding. Make more cuttings and experiment.

They also show a morphological change due to growing conditions. Shady moister sites will get them to grow narrow stems and lush green leaves which are softer. Sunny, sandy, dry areas will get them to grow shorter, harder stubbier stems and leaves which are lighter in colour and may show a reddish colouration

I have also seen some whitening (varigation) of the leaves with some of the shade grown plants.

E D

Guest Mesqualero

As far as I can tell it is fine... one of the leaves is bruised and I think the Apical Meristem is close to coming off..

Most of the plant looks very healthy a very good packing job smile.gif It appears to have been opened at some stage in the postal process though. I don't think shaking it helped when i first saw the package... (bugger)

Warpedastro and Luke, your cuttings were put in the mail yesterday (Tuesday). They should arrive soon.

These were the last of my rooted cuttings. I'll make some more on request only. They only take 2-3 weeks to root from cutting.

Cheers everyone. smile.gif

E D

Guest reville

Thanks ed mine are looking great.

Theyve sparked a bit of interest amongst my friends - i think youd better strike some more!

Two people want to put in a rockery of the stuff.

If thats going to be too difficult then could you tell us alittle more about your cultivation experiences with it?

like was it easy from seed? Is it fast growing

Does it like full sun?

I'm not sure if everyone who got the cuttings could read my return address. If you need it please send me a mail.

Rev, I can strike some more, it's very easy.

All you need to do take a large enough cutting so that one or two nodes are exposed (carefully remove/cut away leaves).

A bit of rooting powder (probably not needed tho') and stick them in some cactus mix or sandy soil mix. Root within a week or two and strong in two-three weeks.

Once big and established they would like to be in a sunny spot (rockery is fine for this) with good drainage. They can handel quite some drought but loads of water will give them a weak elongated growth, especially if grown in a shady situation. They will grow quite fast, a patch of a couple of feet wide in about 2-3 months (this was before the winter) now they are still a bit slow from the cold here, they should hopefully pick up soon and flower.

I'll update on any progress.

E D

Seeds I treaded like cactus seeds, a pot of cactus mix with a thin layer of sand. Place seeds on sand layer and cover with a layer of coarse sand/grit. Keep warm and humid till they sprout.

This method might not be the best as only one seed came up. It could also be that the seeds just weren't that fresh or something.

[This message has been edited by Ed Dunkel (edited 10 October 2002).]