The Corroboree
George Simian

Cacti garden

hey guys (and gals!)

im kinda new to the whole cacti thing and i thought i might try my hand at growing a few. what would be some good plants to start off with?

and from cuttings or start from seed?

also im not looking for those magic cacti exclusively but some reward for the effort would be nice :lol:

anyone got any ideas?

also im new to the site so if i have put this in the wrong place i am sorry :unsure:

thanks!

There is a beautiful cacti nursery in your neck of the woods mate, one of the most amazing I have ever seen! They have an amazing collection for sale.

http://www.collectorscorner.com.au/

The Cacti and succulent society in Melbourne is a good place to start, they have meets once a month and you can pick up some beautiful plants for bugger all or trade amongst members.

http://www.cssaustralia.org.au/

As far as rewards for your efforts... I believe consumption of sacred cacti in Australia is illegal, never the less, some of them are the most beautiful to watch grow, :innocent_n:

Good luck

Edited by San Rainbow

starting from seed is too slow for a beginner. But some special people with the bug like to start from that too.

Columnar cacti will give more growth for you to watch, smaller, spherical ones are slower, the real deal. It's a whole world, so if you really do this, lots of fun and thrill await you!

thanks guys for your suggestions so what sort of cacti should i get? some of these long spiky ones on here look awesome!

is there anyone who would want to sell me some small plants?

My 'garden' currently consists of about 10 peres some rooting cutting some rooted some with trichs grafted on them, abundance of trichocereus pachanoi, peruvianus, Icaro's, kk2152 tiny seedlings, some pachanoi and bridgesii seedlings on there way aswell as a pach cut a bridge cut and a TBM cut as well as some loph and bridge seeds to start.

This has been all within at the most 4-3 months, I'm sure someone here can help him out i would if some of my seedlings were bigger.

oh and an experimental hydroponic pachanoi seedling in a test tube/vacuette.

its an obsession.

a fun and interesting one at that :lol: