The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethos

Pumkin hands

OK just thought I would have a bit of a stoned bitch but it is also really annoying,

Anyway to the point, I recently started working in a fresh produce section at a supermarket which I like because i get good hours and good cashish...

But the worst part of my job is handling pumpkins, our shop got smashed today being a Saturday and working from 11 until 8 i went through cutting and wrapping/stacking a fair few pumpkins and at the end of the day I have a very distinct brown stain to my hands from them, It is like the blotching of a severe burn but its brown.

But the real problem is this 'dirt' is close to impossible to remove without having to remove the top layer of skin (like when you rub your hands together and the dead skin/dirt peels off but until my hands are red and sore).

worst part about my job :(

but what sort of soap is there to use like ones mechanics and people working around grease would use?

Also don't want my hands going dry.. which the pumpkin 'dirt' makes them.

And the shops are all shut so I am stuck with this goddamn dirty drown tinge to my hands until tomorrow makes me so mad.

haha, I used to do this every day from 3am till 11... I feel your pain!sad.gif

After almost losing my hand a few times, smashing my fingers under pumpkins losing fingernails, coming home stinking of pumpkin, stained brown... the only way for me to get around it all was to just get a new job haha!..

Pretty sure we used to wash our pumpkins before chopping and skinning so didn't really have to deal with the stained hands too much, although I do recall wearing gloves most of the time.unsure.gif That is until they fill up with water during scrubbing the wankers, Fuck i hated that Job.

anyways.. some 100% tea tree oil diluted a bit with some regular hand wash usually got the stains out for metongue.gif Use one of them body scrubber things.

good luck with that job! haha.

peace,

fyde.

I'll try the tea tree oil as i do have some of that,

Our pumpkins come pre-washed and we're only required to wear slash proof gloves while chopping and prefer to work with my bare hands when handling large awkward things like pumpkins, also can't wear gloves while wrapping as it would be insane to try and operate our stores cling wrapper with them on. Also consecutively washed hands throughout the day and the pumpkin stains got worse

And i don't just cut pumpkins, I like working in fresh produce i get to be around plants all day and it also coincides with my obsessive compulsive. I will take a picture of my mango display one time its perfect

I think I'm starting to like the pumpkin smell, just not the look

cheers for the tip too

I would try a barrier cream, it protects your hands, They still get dirty but the dirt and stains just wash away with the barrier cream - maybe at blackwoods or other engineer supply shop.

74683_178570_2.jpg

What about Eucalyptus oil and soap?

the eucalyptus/tea tree oil does work but leaves a stronger smell then the pumpkin, which give a killer migraine if left long enough.

AndyAmine thats what i am after thank you, I used to have a smaller bottle of it...

I just forgot what it was called :blush:

I know it works well for grease and things will give it a go when i get some

^ I can vouch for that. Theres also a pink coloured one that I've always used whenever I'm in a workshop, rips any stains or water resistant stuff off.

that pink stuff, if what i'm thinking of, annoys me because it leaves a film of residue on your hands that a rinse with water doesn't remove.

gritty orange stuff = the shizz

OK just thought I would have a bit of a stoned bitch but it is also really annoying,

Anyway to the point, I recently started working in a fresh produce section at a supermarket which I like because i get good hours and good cashish...

But the worst part of my job is handling pumpkins, our shop got smashed today being a Saturday and working from 11 until 8 i went through cutting and wrapping/stacking a fair few pumpkins and at the end of the day I have a very distinct brown stain to my hands from them, It is like the blotching of a severe burn but its brown.

But the real problem is this 'dirt' is close to impossible to remove without having to remove the top layer of skin (like when you rub your hands together and the dead skin/dirt peels off but until my hands are red and sore).

worst part about my job :(

but what sort of soap is there to use like ones mechanics and people working around grease would use?

Also don't want my hands going dry.. which the pumpkin 'dirt' makes them.

And the shops are all shut so I am stuck with this goddamn dirty drown tinge to my hands until tomorrow makes me so mad.

I was in your shoes once. Ive found its helpful to moisturise and then wash your hands again a few hours later.

If the stain is from pigments then you could try bleach. Soak your hands in a diluted solution for a few mins at end of day and immediately nourish the skin with good products.

If the stain is from soil then it is more difficult and probably needs scrubbing.

Most important for both of the above is to start with a very well nourished and oily skin. The oil will form a pretective layer which prevents the pigments or stain to get in deep. Washing your hands a lot during the day will remove the skin oils and will make things much worse. The special barrier products might be good, but not sure if they are foodsafe - check the label.