The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Magicseven

silene capensis growing tips

ok ive just ordered a pack of silene capensis seeds and i have alot of questions for anyone willing to help. this is a first time growing for me

1. any particular way i should germinate these seeds? i know for some plants soaking them in moist towel or similar conditions is a good start or should i just slap them in the ground and let nature do her thing?

2. which soil is most preferable for these plants

3. how much room do these plants require ie pot size

4. maintanance. ive read silene capensis is quite water hungry so should i be considering perlite and mulch for water retention? and other things like plastic bags to reduce evaporation?

5. how fast growing is silene capensis? ive read that it is biennial (flowers after 1 year then dies) but how quickly should i expect it to sprout and mature into a more independant plant?

6. any tips on how it reproduces, and how i can expect to harvest the next generation of seed when it dies.

any other suggestions are welcome like possible issues with bug life and how well it holds out against other plants.

i plan to grow in a very secluded area of my local park (basically because my parents will almost deffinetely have an issue with me growing something). the park is close, as in walking distance not in my backyard so obviously i dont want to be running back and forth keeping them alive with a bottle sprayer.

Edited by Magicseven

im not sure what the best way is to germinate them. i germinated them in a microware container on the windowsill.

i used cactus mix to then plant them out in. i think they prefer fairly free soil, nothing too wet.

because im experimenting with growing them, mine are in a small polystyrene container, while it will inhibit the root size, i wanted to be able to see how they grow in my climate. im going to plant them out this summer.

i have 8 in a 50cm by 25 cm container.

i water them when i remember, they are next to an old bath so i can water them easily in summer.

after one year they flower, and produce copious seed pods. they are not binnial, mine are still very healthy and sending out new branches, so i should get more flowers and seeds this year. i think after two years the roots should be large enought o harvest. i.e you pull up the plant dry out the root and then grind it.

im still very much learning. use the search engine, there are some really good threads on silene capensis here at SAB.

Cheers, Obtuse.

ah thanks mate thats really helpful. do you have them all in the same container and how big will the one be that your putting them in?

ill just experiment a bit as well, after all i have 2 years before i can expect any product and acess to pretty cheap seeds.

Edited by Magicseven

I have found them very easy to germinate. Sprinkle on free draining. sterile soil. Keep moist and humid until they germinate, then give them more air flow. Standard plastic bag, or lidded tub would work.

As far as moisture goes, they actually like a fair amount of moisture. Particularly if the air is hot & dry, they can tolerate wet feet. They are not fussy, but more water is better than treating them like a xerophyte.

When they set flower and set seed, the process for getting seeds is simple. Just wait until their small seed pod swells and starts to dry. This should start happening Summer of their second year, in my climate that is. And so long as the winters aren't too cold, this plant should reseed itself rather easily.