The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shortly

Pressure cookers

What are your thoughts & experiences with Pressure cookers?

The lid on mine cracked & even though i could weld it up, i don't really trust it since i cant really see how far the flaw actually go's.

So I guess its time i let a few moths outa the wallet & cough up for a new one, but which one, there are so many different types available its mind boggling???

I found a 21.8L on ebay for $250

http://cgi.ebay.com....=item3f033bce99

or am i better off with something that doesn't need rubber seals like this

http://cgi.ebay.com....e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

What are everyone's thoughts / recommendations?

If you can get hold of a beer keg, i can supply you with one of these cheap...along with a cap with the nipples brazed on ready to go.

http://www2.blackwoods.com.au/infoBANKProduct.aspx?SG=2000165&S=4084711&G=7642233&P=7683194

A six inch one has a hole around 160-170mm. A 4" one has a 110mm hole.

All you need to do is cut a circle in the top and weld 4 studs on.

I imported the Presto pressure rocker and gauge from the states through amazon, it wasn't exe.

50l pressure cooker holds a LOT of jars or bags.

My thoughts are how many jars do you need to pasteurise? If you are doing jars to turn over into bulk substrate then a smaller pressure cooker will do and they are generally cheaper...

Kmart has had some Rusell hobbs ones on special twice over the past 6mths. $69 or $79 - large and with warranty. I can fit 4 large jars in at a time because it is nice a tall.

They are bound to have them again soon. I saw some in Melbourne about 3/4 weeks ago still on the shelf.

What sorta $'s are we talkin all up punkin?

Our old 18L was only barely big enough to fit a few long eared guinea pigs in for a feed, it would be nice to have a bit extra to play with.

What sorta $'s are we talkin all up punkin?

Our old 18L was only barely big enough to fit a few long eared guinea pigs in for a feed, it would be nice to have a bit extra to play with.

I have a new 4" one in the shed left over from a previous project you could have for $60. I'd have to have a look if there is a 6" one or not (extra redback for a 6" flange and cap).

The cap and nipples would set ya back another $30.

I'll go you halves in the postage and make it a neat $100 B)

Find you're own keg (shipping would be a killer) and cut a circle in the top with an angle grinder or jigsaw or reciprocating saw or dremel or plasma cutter. Tig 4 studs (stainless bolts with the heads cut off) in the appropriate places and you're good to go. I'll supply a couple of gaskets (one lasts years and years, i'll send a spare)

These are the bit's you'll need from the states, or if you can find them locally.

I can braze the NPT threaded nipples for em to screw straight into.

http://www.totalvac.com/PR-85485.html?zmam=6843742&zmas=1&zmac=47&zmap=PR-85485

http://www.totalvac.com/PR-82087.html

There's the blowoff and overpressure plugs there too if you are so inclined.

There's also bits at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=presto+parts&x=0&y=0#%2Fref%3Dsr_pg_1%3Frh%3Dn%253A1055398%252Ck%253Apresto%2Bparts%26keywords%3Dpresto%2Bparts%26ie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1288026971&enc=1

Edited by punkin

If your are tight on cash, go with the Presto 16quart or 23quart. If you got a lot of cash, go with the All American series.

I have an All American. I would recommend getting one and because the Aussie dollar is so strong at the moment then they are a lot cheaper. They are cheap if you buy them through Amazon.com, however, Amazon.com won't ship it to Australia. However, you can get it delivered by a freight forwarder which solves your problem or if you know someone in the U.S. then get it delivered there for free and then get your friend to post it here.

Hey Punkin,

Was wondering if you scored a taker on the parts for the PC? For a lazy grey, I'd be keen.

Cheers

Just get one of these 23 quart Presto pressure cookers for $85. Fucking deal! These are hell expensive in Australia. You will pay extra for shipping but these ones don't weight that much compared to the All American Pressure Cookers. For the cooker and shipping total you are looking at just under $118. These babies sell for at least $250 in Australia and many places charge $300 or more.

If you can get hold of a beer keg, i can supply you with one of these cheap...along with a cap with the nipples brazed on ready to go.

http://www2.blackwoods.com.au/infoBANKProduct.aspx?SG=2000165&S=4084711&G=7642233&P=7683194

A six inch one has a hole around 160-170mm. A 4" one has a 110mm hole.

All you need to do is cut a circle in the top and weld 4 studs on.

I imported the Presto pressure rocker and gauge from the states through amazon, it wasn't exe.

50l pressure cooker holds a LOT of jars or bags.

Would you be able to custom make these for sale punkin? What pressure to they safely get up to?

Just get one of these 23 quart Presto pressure cookers for $85. Fucking deal! These are hell expensive in Australia. You will pay extra for shipping but these ones don't weight that much compared to the All American Pressure Cookers. For the cooker and shipping total you are looking at just under $118. These babies sell for at least $250 in Australia and many places charge $300 or more.

That would indeed be a good deal if you could get it shipped from the states for 30 odd bucks :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Punkin,

Was wondering if you scored a taker on the parts for the PC? For a lazy grey, I'd be keen.

Cheers

Just PM me with what you want and i'll see if i can do it for you mate.

Tripsis, it wouldn't work like that. The kegs are big, bulky (and someone elses property). I can find some of the bits easy enough and can supply the triclover clamps and ferrulles if someone wanted to go that way, but there is still some bits that need to be sourced.

The kegs are rated to 60 psi. The rocker i bought for mine lets off at 15 psi, so a large safety margin built in.

How the hell do ya get a 22L pc posted from the US for $30 :o It cost me one & a half times that just for a book a few weeks back.

Not that any of this is doin me any good ATM unfortunately, i'm skint since my boss got sick of waitin on me rewinding her washing machine motor & went out & spent $1300 on a new single phase washer :(

It only took me 2 weeks to get it workin again, & now the boss is givin it to #1 daughter :BANGHEAD2:

How the hell do ya get a 22L pc posted from the US for $30 :o It cost me one & a half times that just for a book a few weeks back.

Not that any of this is doin me any good ATM unfortunately, i'm skint since my boss got sick of waitin on me rewinding her washing machine motor & went out & spent $1300 on a new single phase washer :(

It only took me 2 weeks to get it workin again, & now the boss is givin it to #1 daughter :BANGHEAD2:

Well, that is the price I got from Amazon when I put it into my basket and went through the checkout. I did not buy it of course. The Presto cookers are a lot lighter than many other cookers. They are nowhere near as good as the All American. I bought an All American Pressure Cooker and ended up paying about $150 AUS in postage but this was when the Aussie dollar was around 85 cents compared to the US dollar. The All American Pressure Cooker is also heavy as a mofo.

Go to Amazon.com and check it for yourself.

Heads up all and thanks for the advice.

I just ordered the Presto 23 quart for $118.29 delivered to the door. No BS there.

If things go right and I need to upgrade, might just cut the bottom out and weld to the top of a SS keg hey?

Cheers all

All American 21.5 quart Pressure Cooker + shipping = $260 delivered to your door in Australia. http://www.amazon.com/All-American-921-All-American-Pressure/dp/B00004S88Z/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289664206&sr=8-1

I have this one and it's gangsta.I only wish it was this cheap when I got mine earlier this year :(

Heads up all and thanks for the advice.

I just ordered the Presto 23 quart for $118.29 delivered to the door. No BS there.

If things go right and I need to upgrade, might just cut the bottom out and weld to the top of a SS keg hey?

Cheers all

That is a damn brilliant idea. :worship:

Now i'm relay P###d off :BANGHEAD2:

Not only did i get ripped off by amazon on shipping one lousy book, $45 au :ana:

And now you guys show me i coulda been gettin far better prices than i have been :BANGHEAD2: I feel like such a dick :(

When did amazon home & garden start shipping to AU?

Oh well hopefully the AU$ continues up for a while.

Not only did i get ripped off by amazon on shipping one lousy book, $45 au :ana:

And now you guys show me i coulda been gettin far better prices than i have been :BANGHEAD2: I feel like such a dick :(

I am not sure when they started to ship but it seems that it has only happened really recently. Maybe they realised they are missing out on a lot of cash plus the American economy is crap at the moment (as well as their dollar) so selling these items overseas is a good way to get extra coin. They won't send any All American Pressure Cookers above the 921 though.

On the topic of the high shipping fee that you were charged, did you buy it from Amazon.com or someone who sells through Amazon.com? Amazon.com is usually good and if you own a big company then you can get awesome shipping rates. However, the smaller people who sell through Amazon.com might not get as good a rate or they might just like ripping you off.

That is a damn brilliant idea. :worship:

Just realised that the Presto is made from Aluminium :rolleyes:

Any thoughts on tagging the two together - or maybe just buying a cheaper stainless steel job and making a couple of mods to reach 15psi and have a pressure gauge to prove it.

Any thoughts on tagging the two together - or maybe just buying a cheaper stainless steel job and making a couple of mods to reach 15psi and have a pressure gauge to prove it.

A good welder should be able to tig em i reckon.

The All American is also made from aluminium but it's thick as hell and it will last a life time. It also has less parts and a metal to metal seal system so you don't have to replace bits of rubber etc. Change your order and buy it! You shall not regret it, sir!