The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
devance

Gynostemma pentaphyllum= jiaogulan

"Jiaogulan (jow-goo-lawn) has such a long list of rejuvenating properties that in China they call it the ‘immortality’ herb. It is in a rare class of herbs called ‘adaptogens’ that help your body without causing any harm or imbalance. Jiaogulan is especially helpful in building your body’s natural resistance to stress. The amazing effect jiaogulan has on cardio-vascular health has earned it the title of “the herbal heart defender”.

Wonder where some seeds might be available.

What an interesting description.

Wikipedia returns nothing. A google returns only a few results for "jiaogulan" for places where you can buy a tea of it.

This site is helpful though: http://www.jiaogulan.net/

I'm definitely writing this name down...I wonder what it tastes like.

Mandragora and I have about 20 of these climbers growing at the moment, they taste like cucumber. Sounds like a pretty amazing plant.

We'll probably have seeds in a few months on the herbalistics webstore.

Horizon is the best. Richo Cech is an amazing man and he and his family are fully devoted to their life's work.

He has also authored some very nice books on herbalism (illustrated by his daughter's drawings), notably among them 'Making Plant Medicines' in which he delineates the processes and materials involved in the manufacture of different natural herbal products such as tinctures, extracts, salves and the like, complete with a section on medicinal herbs and their individual uses, dosages, preparations and contraindications.

This book and others can be found on his site.

darcy, is there any way I can have an automated notify when those seeds become available?

I can give you a manual notification

I'm actually not sure how lomg they take to flower and set fruit but i'll do some reading today.

Oooh manual notification.

Sounds kinky, but I feel special :D

Mine looks like it is starting to bud.

I have no idea which sex it is.

Darcy, any chance of a pollen swap so some seeds become available? They die after they flower don't they?

I tried like hell to get this to grow this year :wacko: Either the seed I got was old/weak/immature or I'm just way too used to growing tropicals and killed them with warmth :lol: I'll try again in febuary...

Is there any trick to these seeds? :unsure: I tried straight planting, presoak and planting, 12 hr presoak and surface sowing in troughs, 24 hr presoak and surface sowing in troughs, 0.1% KNO3 presoak... a few did sprout but the seed coat adhered strongly to the cotyledons and even on the ones where true leaves emerged they soon died anyway.

I'm determined to grow this because the evidence shows it to not cause the stimulation/hypertension that ginseng can. Marketing hype on this plant is pretty thick but there does seem to be enough clinical evidence to make it of interest.

Edited by Auxin

Lots of info there,thanks Tomer.I tried to save the page

but it wouldnt let me so I e-mailed it to myself and that

worked fine.Was there another way I could have saved

the page to read when I want?

:blink:

I first came across that site in December and saved all 3 pages to my archives without trouble.

Firefox Baby B)

At times I've come across web stuff that isnt supposed to be saveable tho and there is Always a way...

alternate browsers, emptying temp files accessing it and snagging it from there, screen capping with alt print screen and saving as images, various hacker apps, printer emulators that 'print' to a new pdf file, etc, etc... always a way.

I dont like scientific info being restricted :wink:

Nice :)

Have you tried making tea from it yet?

Yeah usually if I feel a bit sick I will have a tea of roughly 20cm worth of vine fresh with some lemon myrtle.

I have a feeling it tastes nicer dried correctly :P

Apothecary, I have 2 jiaogulan plants grown under direct sunlight but they dont grow as vigorous as yours. How old are your plants and do they receive direct sunlight? The roof seems like a polycarbonate or polyethylene sheet, is that it?

They recieve afternoon sunlight only. I do not think they appreciate full sun (at least not here).

Not in a large pot either.

I just strung some rope up around the awning and let it climb on its own.

I fertilise probably 3 or 4 times over the year.

EDIT: This will be their second growing season, I got them off darcy around the middle of last year I think.

Edited by apothecary

Yes, I mean the transparent awning in your pic, I'm just curious if thats the only opening where the afternoon sunlight can get through to your jiaogulan plants, or is there any other opening that's not shown in the pic? I was thinking, since you live in the Southern part of the globe, your afternoon sun might not be exactly vertical or above the head, but somewhat inclined?.

It seems that your plants are indoors?

I grow mine on the ground with some bamboo trellis, they are from seeds I ordered from Horizon Herbs. These seeds germinated easily outdoors in bright shade and warm tropical temperatures.

I got some cuttings from Darcy last year but they died soon after flowering.

Edited by -bijanto-

[edit] Double post, sorry.

Edited by -bijanto-

Nope they're outdoors, and they get all their light on an incline like you suggest, the awning achieves nothing except keeping the morning sun off.